BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? I know this subject has been beat to death, and I've done a lot of searching on this forum and all over the internet, and I have not found a solution to my specific problem. So I'll just get into it.

About a year ago, my high pressure hose broke. The end that hooked into the pump shot out, draining all of the fluid. I replaced that hose with an aftermarket hose (bad idea) and it lasted about 4 days before breaking. After that, I found a USED OEM hose that I replaced with it, but, much to my dismay, the power steering still was not working, but no fluid was leaking. I replaced every hose and the reservoir, along with a different used pump. The only thing that did not get replaced was the steering rack and the hose that goes to it from the radiator. The power steering worked! But it was still super loud.

As time went on, the power steering started to get worse. It still works, but getting louder and more difficult to turn. This is where I get confused and I can't find anything on the subject. When the car starts up after cooling down over night, the power steering works flawlessly. No issues turning. Almost no sound. But as the car heats up, it gets louder and it gets worse, to the point where I have to really crank it at a standstill to get it to turn. I just put coolant in the car a few months back. There is still plenty. The PS reservoir get hot, as does the coolant inside of it. I don't know if that is supposed to happen or not.

Obviously the heat has something to do with it since it works fine when the engine is cold, which makes me think that it shouldn't be the steering rack, and something to do with either hoses coming from the radiator, or the radiator itself. Does anyone have any advice on this? Could it be the hose connecting the radiator and steering rack? Just the steering rack? Could I need a different pump?

I am seriously at a wit's end here. I have absolutely no clue what it could be, and I have done countless hours of internet searching to no avail.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered Lunatic
971 Posts
Jack the front end and put it on stands. Turn the wheel and see what you can feel through the wheel. With the car off..
If the turn feels smooth and not 'notchy' then your rack hasn't been damaged with the extra load.
Next you want to take your hoses off and check for blockages, especially in the high pressure side where a slight restriction can become a severe blockage when the fluid heats up and expands. Think how the hot water tap will go from fast flow to slow flow as the water heats up. This is the same principal. This will also occurs in the low pressure side too, but the effect will be more marked in the high pressure side.
Next do the same thing with the cooler, this will not require removal of the cassette, but it's always good to do so as you can give it all a good clean out (it will need it unless it's been out recently). You don't need to disconnect the radiator to remove the cassette, but it does make it easier. You can just remove the fan and shroud, pop the radiator off its mounts and access the cassette in front of it. It's difficult but doable.
If these things check out then it's time to turn your attention to the pump. It's highly likely that this is your culprit, but by following the steps above you'll eliminate any other possible issues and your power steering will be completely refreshed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered Lunatic
971 Posts
Note... removal.of the cassette will mean your air con will lose its gas.
That's a whole other can of worms. Some will argue that it needs to be drained properly, others will say just crack the seal and go have a coffee...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Under the lift arms
13,083 Posts
Im not familiar with the i6 rack setups on the e39's but i do know that the suction hose on the e36's has a history of collapsing under load, and the feel of lost of power steering happens... especially when hot (mines been doing it for years)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts