BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

First of all, this is my first post here, and also new to the whole BMW thing. I just got a 2006 E90 about a month ago. It currently as 112k on it. Car is maintained through out. So the only issue i have as of now is the whining sound coming from the steering. It whines alot at low RPMs, but when i take it up to 2-3000 it goes away.

To help, i went ahead and drained the PS fluid from it and replaced it with new Pentosin CHF 11s. That didnt really seem to help much.

I am thinking that the PS pump is about to die or reservoir needs to be changed. I did bleed the system by doing 10 lock to lock turns as well. I still feel there may be some air in the system. I also noticed when i opened the cap that there are alot of white bubbles in the fluid....

any thoughts ? Any help will be appreciated !

·
Brucew
121 Posts
It sounds like you have an air leak in the system. Air getting into the pump often causes a whining noise. Check the hoses and unions

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
I am thinking that the PS pump is about to die or reservoir needs to be changed. I did bleed the system by doing 10 lock to lock turns as well. I still feel there may be some air in the system. I also noticed when i opened the cap that there are alot of white bubbles in the fluid....
Well, the whine's air in power steering fluid. Look for a cap seal failure - maybe you install a new reservoir if that's easy....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re

Hmm interesting. So when i make it lock to lock, thats when you hear the sound get the loudest. If i have it against the lock it almost sounds like the wheel or something is hitting something.

Still think its air ? I do think that the seal may have failed. I am going to try to replace the seal first, and then the res.

Thoughts ?

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Hmm interesting. So when i make it lock to lock, thats when you hear the sound get the loudest. If i have it against the lock it almost sounds like the wheel or something is hitting something.

Still think its air ? I do think that the seal may have failed. I am going to try to replace the seal first, and then the res.
Yep. Verify by removing cap; check for froth/cloudy fluid. Well known prob, is the loud power steering squeal in older cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re

Froth is exactly the word i would used to describe whats in there. Anyone have a clue if there is a common part # for that seal available from any store ? Even from BMW itself ? Ill take a look around and see if i can find it. Appreciate all the help !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts