BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Power steering leak

912 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  catso
Just got a 2000 323i and replaced the power steering pump. When I replaced it the metal hose that is screwed inside of pump doesn't screw all the way in. This has caused a large leak. I know there is a small o-ring on the very end of the hose, but is there another maybe. Any help would be great. thanks
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
There are two different pumps for the car. One is a lf20 and the other is a lf30. I know one of the hoses at least is a different size depending on what pump you have. Your should be a lf20. They probably sold you the wrong pump. Been there done that.
I have the lf30. I was sold the 20 and it wouldn't mount up. The lf30 is exactly like my original.
Ive never seen a 2000 323i with an lf30 original equipment is why I mentioned it.

As for mounting either will bolt up to the car fine. You just swap mounts. Its the lines that are the issue. When you go to bolt an lf30 on the car the line wont tighten up.
Everything with the pump bolted up fine. The hose didn't leak before, and that's why I'm lost with this.
Where did you get the pump? I did the LF30 conversion when I bought my car (which includes changing the pressure hose) and have never had a problem.
The fitting on my pressure hose didn't thread all the way into the pump either. I hand-tightened it just enough to compress that little O-ring without cutting it. You might want to get a new O-ring (or maybe a few) from the dealer and try again.
the metal hose that is screwed inside of pump doesn't screw all the way in. This has caused a large leak.
If I recall correctly it's a bit thicker O-ring too, probably something you can't get at an auto parts store.
The fitting on my pressure hose didn't thread all the way into the pump either. I hand-tightened it just enough to compress that little O-ring without cutting it. You might want to get a new O-ring (or maybe a few) from the dealer and try again.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.