BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a problem with what I think is my power steering, at first I thought it was just that I had low fluid, which I did, so I refilled it. However; even right now with the fluid refilled it is still incredibly difficult to turn the wheel. I used ATF import Valvoline to refill the power steering fluid.
Can anyone ID the problem or suggest what do to?
Thanks much appreciated

· catso
3,181 Posts
So I have a problem with what I think is my power steering, at first I thought it was just that I had low fluid, which I did, so I refilled it. However; even right now with the fluid refilled it is still incredibly difficult to turn the wheel. I used ATF import Valvoline to refill the power steering fluid.
Can anyone ID the problem or suggest what do to?
Thanks much appreciated
With the engine off, see if you have any fore and aft movement in the PS pump pulley. If so, you have a broken pulley shaft, a very common problem on the LF-20 pump. Lots written about the subject.

· Registered
4,287 Posts
With the engine off, see if you have any fore and aft movement in the PS pump pulley. If so, you have a broken pulley shaft, a very common problem on the LF-20 pump. Lots written about the subject.
Agree. Check out the e46 wiki link above your post that probably has a write up on the pump change and lots of other good stuff. The replacement pumps are usually the LF-30, which requires a different hose to go with it so make sure you get the hose too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.