BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 540i w. 109K on the clock

I noticed this a few times... during aggressive driving :thumb: when I take a hard left turn, the power steering pump cuts out making it harder to make the turn. It only does it every once in a while, only when making left turns.

What's up with that? Otherwise the power steering works just fine... no leaks, no issues.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
When was the last fluid change? Might put a new filter/reservoir on it and refil with new fluid and see how it does.

Jim

·
Registered
449 Posts
It'll get worse. Mine did that a few years ago. Now it's progressed to both directions at middle RPM and at any RPM on a hot day. I haven't figured it out myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
It'll get worse. Mine did that a few years ago. Now it's progressed to both directions at middle RPM and at any RPM on a hot day. I haven't figured it out myself. Good luck.
There are 2 components and a steering column, a pump and a box. Hope it's not the box, it's hard to get to.

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I will start with the obvious and flush / change PS fluid. But it sounds like it will eventually be time to change out the pump. Ah the joys of BMW ownership...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Before you "shotgun" a pump... Does your pump make noise? Does it "growl" under load or when it's hot? I think those are the signs of an internally failing pump. I'm mostly "saying that out loud" because I've been trying to figure mine out for quite some time now. Even draining and replacing the fluid several times hasn't helped.

FWIW, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the power steering pump. It's an internal drive plug with an O-ring. It'll drain the reservoir and the lines but not the box. It's more efficient than sucking the fluid out of the reservoir.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts