BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is my first post since joining. Bought a 2003 530i E39 M54 a few weeks ago and have been doing services so I know they are truely up to date. Changed oil & filter, replaced power steering fluid, made sure cooling system working correctly, changed air filter (new K&N), cleaned MAFS, etc. And there are so many other things to do after reading here for the last couple weeks.

My problem today is what seems to be a frozen power steering pump. Started car and began hearing an odd noise (a ticking-clicking sound). Went to the front, listened and looked until I noticed the pulley on the pump was not turning. At that time the sound turned to one I recognized; that of a belt squealing. Turned engine off, waited a few minutes and started up again. Same results.

My question is this a pump failure or might there be something else that might cause the pump to seize?

And yes I have looked and looked on the forums for info but can't find a specific reference to failed pump.:dunno:

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Power Steering Pump Failure

I just went and started the auto again and checked the pulley and power steering pump and the darn thing was turning. My thought is failure imminent. Failure imminent?

· Registered
15,976 Posts
In fact, every pulley on the front of the engine, including idlers, should spin freely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.