BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has always been the source of unlimited supply of used parts for both the Audi and the
323is. www.car-part.com You browse for the part, pick the first vew salvage places that
are near you, call them up and once you speak with them you will know what you are getting.

The pump is a bitch to get to, and without lifting the car (not jacking it up) you are quite
hopeless to make it a DIY. I have a leaky pump and have not thought about replacing it
quite yet -- I have no means of lifting the car too high to stand underneeth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My beautiful wife drove all over creation the next day and found the last remaining reman unit (listed as a 1998 model) in the entire country. 3 bolts, 2 hoses and it was back on. Took longer to get the A/C belt back on than the entire rest of the job.

The whole thing started when:

I was replacing the alternator , when I realized that I'd mounted the new one in place without connecting the wires to the back/bottom of it. So I pulled it back off, connected the wires, and while reinstalling it, I dropped the lockwasher off the bottom bolt. It never hit the ground, and I dug around in the steering rack area but never kicked it out. Gave up and got another lockwasher from some other long forgotten project (never throw anything away) and finished mounting the alternator. Put the belt back on and got in the car to fire it up.

*lug*crunk*SNAP*crash*

Wife tells me there is fluid pouring out the bottom of the car. Apparently that $.05 washer had gotten jammed between the belt and pulley on the power steering pump. It snapped the housing in half and the shaft and pulley hit the floor.

Today I find out that reman units are not available, and new ones cost from $300-$400.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My beautiful wife drove all over creation the next day and found the last remaining reman unit (listed as a 1998 model) in the entire country. 3 bolts, 2 hoses and it was back on. Took longer to get the A/C belt back on than the entire rest of the job.

The whole thing started when:
Wow, good job! :thumbup: I'm glad you figured it out, it seems like a PITA job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.