BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just let a shop change my power steering pump and rack. they care sounds much better, steers easier, but when I turn, the wheel doesn't come back to center. they said they did an alignment, but I am not sure. also, this may be pure coincidence but... I have a massive oil leak. is there any way that the shop broke something pertaining to the oil down there? Im so broke and I feel they are just short cutting me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think your wheel not coming back is due to a crappy rack they installed. Sounds too tight. What did they say about that?

About the oil leak, depends where it's leaking from. What color is the oil? You saying you had absolutely no oil leak before and now it's gushing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is correct. had no oil leak at all. now 6 quarts ran out. also, they said that there was a "u joint" maybe, could be wrong on that, paper at home, some link or joint that can affect the steering wheel not coming back to center? why would they not notice that and tell me beofore sending me on my way? but just thought it odd that the oil leak came right after them doing a job.

·
Registered
388 Posts
6 quarts ran out? The motor only holds a total of 7 quarts. I was thinking maybe it was power steering fluid but that would likely be red in color and certainly NOT 6 quarts. 6 quarts has to be either motor oil or trans fluid if you have an automatic. Did you check the dipstick? If it's motor oil the dipstick will be dry.

I think the only way 6 quarts of oil can run out is if the oil pan drain plug came out. How do you know it's 6 quarts? How did you measure it?

There is a steering u-joint more commonly called the guibo but it only causes play. It cannot cause steering not returning. My opinion is that since the return issue started after the shop replaced your pump and rack then it has to be the rack that is at fault.

You need to be talking to the manager of this shop and get some straight answers. It sounds like they are trying to scam you on this steering issue but the oil loss thing may not be related to anything they did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts