BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last time it snowed both window motors and power steering busted..

Well it just snowed again in NY, and I had to get in my car...the window rolled down a bit on the vert as usual...but obviously didn't go back up

now a few days later, it won't go back up AND that window won't work at all

The message I get is "power window anti-trap function"

Any advice or do I have to miss another day of work to tale this to the damn dealership??

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
****! what a pain in the ass

i cant beleive it....a 90 thousand dollar car that keeps breaking everytime the weather gets too cold WTF???

and obviously service is only open mon-fri....on days i gotta work.....now i gotta take off again....F*CK !!!

has anyone seen this error ever?

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts

i cant beleive it....a 90 thousand dollar car that keeps breaking everytime the weather gets too cold WTF???

and obviously service is only open mon-fri....on days i gotta work.....now i gotta take off again....F*CK !!!

None of them open Saturday up there?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope, none of them open saturday.......uugghhh!

how would i check the motor on my own?

i browsed the net and saw that this is a somewhat common problem on windows and sunroofs
supposedly gotta hold the open/close button for 60 seconds to reset the anti trap function

will try when i get home
hope it works

·
Banned
143 Posts

you bet your willy it breaks down...I have had too many probs with verts before, no matter what car, tht is why its a common caveat to not operate windows or top when its too cold or the car has not warmed up...try tht 60 second thing and let us know how it went.....and yes, none od the dealers service depts are open Saturdays

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Since you're thinking it's the cold affecting the windows, how about blasting your heat on full for a while and then trying the windows again. At least get them rolled up... HTH

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies fellas

the 60 second thing does absolutely nothing

heres what happened tho.....when it was cold, i never rolled down my windows...i just opened the door.....then the window lowers itself slightly to make room for the roof

and now after that, its stuck in that position and wont raise or lower

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I picked up my 6 I noticed the passenger window didn't go up when I shut the door, I pointed it out to the salesman and he said it's a common thing with the 6's.
He put the key in the drivers door and turned it to the unlock position (left) and held it in that position and all the windows went down and sunroof opens then turn the key to lock position (right) and hold and the all go back up and reset themselves.

Try it it can't hurt!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I picked up my 6 I noticed the passenger window didn't go up when I shut the door, I pointed it out to the salesman and he said it's a common thing with the 6's.
He put the key in the drivers door and turned it to the unlock position (left) and held it in that position and all the windows went down and sunroof opens then turn the key to lock position (right) and hold and the all go back up and reset themselves.

Try it it can't hurt!
thanks,
cant wait to give it a try

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey thanks man....i tried that, but it wont work
it also implies the windows still move somewhat
my front window doesnt

if the key trick wont work, its off to the dealer

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Try this...

Use the "all windows down button" to lower the windows and then raise them again.

Once, my front passenger window would not lower when the passenger door was opened and I received a door symbol in my information screen. I tried this technique and it reset the window. So far, no more problems with this window. However, I would still take the car to the dealer even if this technique works for you since this is the second problem you've had with your windows. It may be a problem with the sensor. I know it's frustrating right now, but I assure you that the car will make it up to you!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey leslie, thanks

i guess this will be my last attempt

i wanted to do the turn key thing....but then i realized our keys dont "turn"

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can you not take the key out of the electronic key and use that?

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Regrets. Perhaps it's a sensor malfunction. Please update when the dealer is done with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Inside the electronic key is a standard key (you get it out by pressing one of the lined pads next to the keyring holes and pull it out) that you use to lock the trunk for valet parking, put that in the door and try that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts