BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Please forgive the username... I made this account when I was 17.

About 6 months ago I bought a Powerdyne supercharged 98' M3.

It had been sitting for a while and has needed a lot of TLC, but I got a good deal on it and values for E36's have shot up so I'm still happy.

However, I still have a few tricky problems that I need assistance with addressing, and I'm hoping y'all may be able to help me here.

1. Brake Rotor Clicking (?). This one is a new issue, within the last week. I had the rotors turned a couple of weeks ago, but the rotors seem to be rhythmically clicking or tapping. I don't feel anything in the pedal and I can only hear it when the windows are down.

2. Pulley Maintenance. My idler pulley is shot and making an array of annoying noises, but every BMW expert I've taken it to in SoCal has not been able to figure out what idler fits with my supercharger application. I've seen some people online say its an OEM idler, and I've seen others say differently. Insight here would be greatly appreciated.

3. Convertible Top. When putting the top down I have to reach back and pull the rear portion of the top forward so it can clear the tonneau cover when being retracted. Also, the front part of the top where it joins the windshield moves up and down very slowly and sometimes needs help being pushed up when lowering the top.

4. 3rd Gear and occasional Reverse gear grind. 3rd gear grind only happens when its cold and I'm down shifting into 3rd. Reverse grind only happens if I'm changing between 1st and Reverse quickly. I've read this can be caused by worn transmission mounts. The other more obvious and sinister potential issue there is synchros. Advise here will be appreciated.

Thanks all for any time and effort but into answering my questions.

· Registered
178 Posts
For part of #3, you'll want to watch this video. I did a repair similar to this on my 1998 323i and it worked like a charm. I no longer have to reach back and 'assist' the roof up to clear the opening and closing of the housing cover.

For #1, is it possible something internal like the wheel speed sensor(s) is making contact to a high spot on the hub? You wouldn't be able to see it and couldn't test for it unless it's under full weight. Perhaps pull one at a time with test drives in between to see if the sound changes?

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi All!

Please forgive the username... I made this account when I was 17.

About 6 months ago I bought a Powerdyne supercharged 98' M3.

It had been sitting for a while and has needed a lot of TLC, but I got a good deal on it and values for E36's have shot up so I'm still happy.

However, I still have a few tricky problems that I need assistance with addressing, and I'm hoping y'all may be able to help me here.

1. Brake Rotor Clicking (?). This one is a new issue, within the last week. I had the rotors turned a couple of weeks ago, but the rotors seem to be rhythmically clicking or tapping. I don't feel anything in the pedal and I can only hear it when the windows are down.

2. Pulley Maintenance. My idler pulley is shot and making an array of annoying noises, but every BMW expert I've taken it to in SoCal has not been able to figure out what idler fits with my supercharger application. I've seen some people online say its an OEM idler, and I've seen others say differently. Insight here would be greatly appreciated.

3. Convertible Top. When putting the top down I have to reach back and pull the rear portion of the top forward so it can clear the tonneau cover when being retracted. Also, the front part of the top where it joins the windshield moves up and down very slowly and sometimes needs help being pushed up when lowering the top.

4. 3rd Gear and occasional Reverse gear grind. 3rd gear grind only happens when its cold and I'm down shifting into 3rd. Reverse grind only happens if I'm changing between 1st and Reverse quickly. I've read this can be caused by worn transmission mounts. The other more obvious and sinister potential issue there is synchros. Advise here will be appreciated.

Thanks all for any time and effort but into answering my questions.
Item #2 ... I've got a similar setup on my 98 M3/S3 and I'm pretty sure the idler is the stock one and at some point I got the underdrive from Turner (I ordered both choices, 1 worked and I was supposed to send the other back which I failed to do). As a result the Dinan supercharger belt is the wrong size .. again I ordered 2 and failed to return them when they wouldn't fit. Maybe one day I'll post them in the classifieds. I think you'll love the set up as long as you don't boost it too much. If the bearing or seals ever go bad look into having 928motorsport.com rebuild it with the enhanced impeller and ceramic bearings. They did mine and it's been awesome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.