BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on picking up my 650ci firts week of September. Was thinking of driving to Prague for a couple of days. Heard I may lose the car in Prague. Any thoughts??:dunno:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
If you park prudently, i.e. secure hotel parking garages, unlikely you will have a problem.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
They will scare you, listen to them and at least put it in the hotel garage..leave it alone and you should be fine, I was.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I visited Prague during my ED trip, and had heard the same thing you did. Long story short, park your car in a safe, secure place and you should have no problems. I left my car at a place that had an attendant watching the cars 24 hrs/day.

Most importantly, make sure you always have both your keyfobs and your valet key on you at all times, because I've heard (jspira can confirm) that auto insurance in the EU does not cover theft if you can't produce all 3 keys.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No problems

in Prague and we actually left the car on the street for four days. We had an apartment in a nice neighborhood north of the Castle, and we were by no means the only nice vehicle on the block: other beemers, mercedes, etc.

If you're staying in a more marginal area, secure parking seems wise, as it would in any major city.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We were in Prague in June this year. We parked in front of our hotel. No worries. Every month or so it seems someone posts a question about safety going to Prague and other Eastern European countries. I remember one in particular about highway robbers. I have never seen anything to justify any significant concern. If you are on the Autobahn in that 6 series you are going to be going 140 mph! Enjoy!

·
Registered
693 Posts
tjd333 said:
Planning on picking up my 650ci firts week of September. Was thinking of driving to Prague for a couple of days. Heard I may lose the car in Prague. Any thoughts??:dunno:
First of all, if you haven't been to Prague, you should definitely go; it is a great city.

I took my 650 convertible to Prague a few months ago. Many Germans I spoke to did not recommend this. Some suggested that I do not stop at any restaurants or clubs on the way. I decided to go, but I stayed at one of the better hotels, and specifically discussed the garage situation with them when I booked my room. I do not agree with the other posters about parking on the street there; I do not recommend this, especially with a 6 series. I would characterize Prague as still in transition from Eastern Europe to Western Europe. Just because Prague is safe and beautiful does not mean that there is not a significant organized crime presence to whom a new BMW would be quite valuable.

Have a great time.

·
Wannabe Bayer
92 Posts
fishskis said:
I do not agree with the other posters about parking on the street there; I do not recommend this, especially with a 6 series. I would characterize Prague as still in transition from Eastern Europe to Western Europe. Just because Prague is safe and beautiful does not mean that there is not a significant organized crime presence to whom a new BMW would be quite valuable.
I can second this. I parked my 3er on the street in Prague while visiting my brother. It was a pretty good part of town with a bank on the corner. I left it for less than 5 minutes and when I returned it was broken into and I lost everything inside. This was in 1997, but I'll be taking better precautions the next time I'm in Eastern Europe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Prague has come a long way since '97

Prague seems to get safer, more advanced, and more expensive every time I go.

For a hotel I can recommend the Intercontinental on Parizska St. Its at the top of a very fashionable street, a couple of blocks from old town square, near the Charles Bridge on the river and close to the Metro.

There are adjoining long term stay apartments called Golden Prague Residence (GPR). Call the Intercontinental and ask for GPR. When they give you the short term rates (high) ask for manager approval for the long-term rates. I have done this several times on stays of only a few days. You have all the amenities of the hotel, lower rates and more privacy.

You'll love Prague.

Good luck.

·
Le plaisir de conduire
494 Posts
I agree with some of the above posts- Prague has changed a great deal in the past few years, and will continue to do so. I can't remember the name of the hotel I stayed at, but if you're in a decent area, and you specifically request a secured, guarded parking situation for the length of your stay you shouldn't have a problem. Have fun. And by all means enjoy the countryside. The beautiful Czech Republic isn't only Prague. Every town has it's own unique character.

~Jon:thumbup:

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
671 Posts
We visited Prague before picking up our car, but I doubt you would have a problem if you park it in a secure hotel garage. We also recommend the Intercontinental Hotel, be sure to join the Ambassador Club before you arrive to get a nice room upgrade and a 2-for-1 free weekend night coupon.

The only downside is that you won't actually need the car while you are in Prague. The upside is that you will avoid the 6-hour train ride from Munich or a very expensive flight. There are many discount airlines serving Prague but none from Munich. :(

Prague was one of our favorite cities, you definitely should go!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I am planning to go late Oct as well. From what I have heard it is pretty safe. We are staying at the Marriott there, and were told that there should be no safety concerns if we were planning to park the car in their lot.

I have also heard about Prague getting a lot of rowdy brit crowd over the weekends - in that case, you never know which car they might decide to vandalize.

·
Registered
380 Posts
We ran into a group of those guys

in Wenceslas Square...they were obnoxious, but were so drunk I don't think they even noticed the cars on the street. In fact, I think they thought they were still in their hotel rooms....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Central Prague is in my opinion safer than most citiy centers and certainly safer than any I know in the US. There's no need to worry at all. I left my 645 conv. there last year on several occasions unattended, no problem, and my Z1 is parked there right now whilst I am in Florida. I worry leaving my car in London but in Prague, no worries! As has been mentioned, more care is needed at weekends when groups of young Brits fly in for stag partying, get obscenely drunk and behave at their very worst.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.