BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I did drive both. There is a difference. To be honest, I won't be racing anyone, but the 335 does feel nice.

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
See, this is a difficult one for me: I don't like to buy used...but I'd take the 335 over the 328 most any day (the convertible weighs too much for me to have much fun with the weaker engine).

Is the 335 a CPO?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 335 is not CPO. It's at a Porsche dealership where I previously bought a Boxster a few years ago.

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
Unless that 335 has a aux oil cooler (or you are certain you will add the Dinan cooler as part of a mod package), don't get the '07 335i.

People's opinions differ on this point but there is a reason that BMW added the cooler to cars with the sport package; push the engine and you could be headed for issues without the extra cooling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Great info. The '07 335 has the Sport Package. Did BMW add the oil cooler in '08 or does the '07 have it since it has the Sport Package?

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
The '07 should have it because of the sport package. You can double-check by looking at the inner front passenger-side wheel well: you should see the vents for the cooler in the front of the well-housing.

·
Iwanna330Cic
927 Posts
Just to chime in - my 335i was built in May, 2007 and it has the aux oil cooler from the factory. Do you know why the 335i was traded in? Might have some bearing on your choice?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The '07 should have it because of the sport package. You can double-check by looking at the inner front passenger-side wheel well: you should see the vents for the cooler in the front of the well-housing.
+1. I have an '07 335i vert with sport package. Just check the front passenger wheel well for the cooler. Oh and yes the Dinan in the vert is worth it! I love it in mine. :thumbup:

Go for the 335i

·
Registered
108 Posts
CPO is just a scam to get more money for a used car. They do their 100 point checklist like check if the vents work, then they sell the car. If its an '07 and under 50k, it is in warranty. If over in miles, check the carfax and have an independent mechanic check it. You will save tons of money and get the same car.

As for the choice, I say get the 335I. You say its Fun, let someone else pay the new car depreciation bill. :thumbup:

BTW, I'm buying new because I'm too picky about the options. I couldn't care less if a car is new or used, just what condition its in. If it is like new, go for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to chime in - my 335i was built in May, 2007 and it has the aux oil cooler from the factory. Do you know why the 335i was traded in? Might have some bearing on your choice?
I was told it was a short term lease turn in.

The asking price is $49,900, but I'm negotiating down.

·
Registered
210 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't go with the used car without it being certified. That said, the convertible is a heavy car. If you were choosing between a used 335i coupe and a new 328i coupe I'd say go with the new 328i in a heartbeat (I just made that choice last week). But if I remember right, the covertible weighs nearly 4,000 pounds, and I'd want the more powerful engine in it.

But I'd wait until I found either a new or certified used one.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do you really need to buy a CPO vehicle if the car still has a warranty of significant length?
Of course you don't need to. But I'm betting that a used 335i convertible is going for around $50,000, and before I bought a used BMW for that kind of money I'd want to make darn sure that its been gone over with a fine tooth comb. For that kind of money, fork over the extra $5,000 and buy new, or wait for a CPO.

Just my $0.02.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts