BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing an '03 530i 5sp that is in Manassas Park, VA. i am in Los Angeles so it is a bit difficult to check out the car personally. The dealer, Auto Advantage, seems to have a pretty good rep but I would still like to get the car checked out. AA says they do a "250 point" inspection to certify their cars but they won't tell me what those 250 points are - they say it's like their secret ingredient. Anyway, has anyone used either Carchex or Automobile Inspections? AI seems a bit on the high side but they seem to be pretty thorough. Or can anyone recommend any other service to have the car checked out? Thanks!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Scotes said:
I am looking at purchasing an '03 530i 5sp that is in Manassas Park, VA. i am in Los Angeles so it is a bit difficult to check out the car personally. The dealer, Auto Advantage, seems to have a pretty good rep but I would still like to get the car checked out. AA says they do a "250 point" inspection to certify their cars but they won't tell me what those 250 points are - they say it's like their secret ingredient. Anyway, has anyone used either Carchex or Automobile Inspections? AI seems a bit on the high side but they seem to be pretty thorough. Or can anyone recommend any other service to have the car checked out? Thanks!
what about a dealer

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Scotes said:
I don't have experience with either of those services, but I have been out to AA and their cars are generally very well taken care of.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gr8330 said:
what about a dealer
I called BMW of Fairfax, the closest dealer to AA - about 12 miles, and they wanted $175 for a pre-purchase inspection. I checked them out on DealerRater.com and people don't seem to hold them in high regard - so I almost question how well they would inspect the car. Also, logisticaly it might be difficult as I would have to have AA get the car to them. Though far fewer responses on DR, AA seems to have a good rep from what I've found. My dad may be going down to that area from NY in a couple of weeks so I may just have him check it out. If AA owned up on their inspection report instead of making it like a trade secret I might feel otherwise about the situation. Anybody have any other suggestions?

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Scotes said:
I called BMW of Fairfax, the closest dealer to AA - about 12 miles, and they wanted $175 for a pre-purchase inspection. I checked them out on DealerRater.com and people don't seem to hold them in high regard - so I almost question how well they would inspect the car. Also, logisticaly it might be difficult as I would have to have AA get the car to them. Though far fewer responses on DR, AA seems to have a good rep from what I've found. My dad may be going down to that area from NY in a couple of weeks so I may just have him check it out. If AA owned up on their inspection report instead of making it like a trade secret I might feel otherwise about the situation. Anybody have any other suggestions?
BMW of Fairfax is not my preferred choice, but I don't think that they are dishonest. OTOH, the pain in the ass factor of getting between Manassas and Fairfax is pretty high (higher than the distance suggests, given the nightmarish traffic)--it would not surprise me if AA balked at taking the car over to them.

If it were me, I'd probably tell AA "look, I'm buying the car long-distance. I'm not going to do it without some assurance that the car is what you say it is. I'm willing to fly out/have someone come look at the car, but before I do that, I need to see your inspection report. If you aren't willing to share that with me, I'll buy the car from someone else."

That year/model car is not so rare that it would be difficult to find somewhere else.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JST said:
...OTOH, the pain in the ass factor of getting between Manassas and Fairfax is pretty high (higher than the distance suggests, given the nightmarish traffic)...
:rofl: Not knowing the area I didn't quite think of it that way! Probably not to different from getting from the west side of LA to the valley.

Trying to get them to show me their inspection report and having my dad check it out when he's down there may be the best bet. The car has been on their lot for a good 60 days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.