BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,959 Posts
Scotes said:
I am looking at purchasing an '03 530i 5sp that is in Manassas Park, VA. i am in Los Angeles so it is a bit difficult to check out the car personally. The dealer, Auto Advantage, seems to have a pretty good rep but I would still like to get the car checked out. AA says they do a "250 point" inspection to certify their cars but they won't tell me what those 250 points are - they say it's like their secret ingredient. Anyway, has anyone used either Carchex or Automobile Inspections? AI seems a bit on the high side but they seem to be pretty thorough. Or can anyone recommend any other service to have the car checked out? Thanks!
I don't have experience with either of those services, but I have been out to AA and their cars are generally very well taken care of.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,959 Posts
Scotes said:
I called BMW of Fairfax, the closest dealer to AA - about 12 miles, and they wanted $175 for a pre-purchase inspection. I checked them out on DealerRater.com and people don't seem to hold them in high regard - so I almost question how well they would inspect the car. Also, logisticaly it might be difficult as I would have to have AA get the car to them. Though far fewer responses on DR, AA seems to have a good rep from what I've found. My dad may be going down to that area from NY in a couple of weeks so I may just have him check it out. If AA owned up on their inspection report instead of making it like a trade secret I might feel otherwise about the situation. Anybody have any other suggestions?
BMW of Fairfax is not my preferred choice, but I don't think that they are dishonest. OTOH, the pain in the ass factor of getting between Manassas and Fairfax is pretty high (higher than the distance suggests, given the nightmarish traffic)--it would not surprise me if AA balked at taking the car over to them.

If it were me, I'd probably tell AA "look, I'm buying the car long-distance. I'm not going to do it without some assurance that the car is what you say it is. I'm willing to fly out/have someone come look at the car, but before I do that, I need to see your inspection report. If you aren't willing to share that with me, I'll buy the car from someone else."

That year/model car is not so rare that it would be difficult to find somewhere else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.