Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've started my pre-summer detail on my 325ci.

Yesterday I washed and clayed the car. Tonight I will polish and (time permitting) P21S paint cleaner it. Tomorrow I'll wax. I'll see if I can take pictures at each stage.

Winter was hard on my car :( I've found many "new" rock chips, in some out of the way places.

The good news is the even in it's current state, wash & Clay, it's very shiny. Once the polish gets rid of the scratches and the P21S does it's magic it will be awesome!

She'll be a red mirror when she's done!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I used the P21s paint cleanser on my last detail, and I really liked the results. Easy application, and combined with blitz, it lasts a good two months. Although not a mirror shine via zaino, I still like the results of blitz. Rock chips, you have no idea...:cry:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Hey Haus, stop by and grab my Griots Carnauba, then you can do a side by side test of the BOS and Carnauba for "removal ease".

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ripsnort said:
Hey Haus, stop by and grab my Griots Carnauba, then you can do a side by side test of the BOS and Carnauba for "removal ease".
I've got both myself Rip.

THANKS!
Haus

·
Registered
590 Posts
in_d_haus said:
So I've started my pre-summer detail on my 325ci.

Yesterday I washed and clayed the car. Tonight I will polish and (time permitting) P21S paint cleaner it. Tomorrow I'll wax. I'll see if I can take pictures at each stage.
I'm curious, do you find that paint cleaner helps after claying it? I would think clay would be enough.

--gary

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Pre-Summer detail

Nat Brown said:

I'm curious, do you find that paint cleaner helps after claying it? I would think clay would be enough.

--gary
This will be the first time I use the P21S. Rip swears it makes it even better. I've got it up to polish now and will P21S and wax tonight.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
The P21S Paint cleaner is suppose to restore the oils back into the finish that supposebly the Claying and Polishing may remove. I believe it!

Shake the bottle well though!, Also, read the instructions carefully...you don't want the stuff to dry.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ripsnort said:
The P21S Paint cleaner is suppose to restore the oils back into the finish that supposebly the Claying and Polishing may remove. I believe it!

Shake the bottle well though!, Also, read the instructions carefully...you don't want the stuff to dry.
So it's a filler or an abrasive cleaner? If it's filler, us polymer guys can't use it. :(

--gary

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nat Brown said:

So it's a filler or an abrasive cleaner? If it's filler, us polymer guys can't use it. :(

--gary

Why can't glazes be used with polymers? I've read posts from folks who use 3m Iperial Hand Glaze and Zaino. What are the drawbacks and/or failings of using glaze and protecting with a polymer?

--Lou

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Nat Brown said:

--gary
It works similiar to the 3M hand glaze, the bottle says something about "fills swirl marks" but I didn't apply it for that reason (obviously, when you polish, technically you have no swirls left!) but for the "paint feeding" that Steve(The Wax Test webpage) claimed it had...I was VERY skeptical, but very pleased with the end results!

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finished my detail last Friday night at 11:00pm! Car looks absolutely incredible. Had to be out at the track Sat morning 8:00am and got many complements on it (shiniest car in the paddock)

Sorry, no pics, it rained that afternoon anyhow but it's clean and protected at least!

Total time to detail about 9 hours spread across 3 days.

Haus

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, this was the first time I've used the P21S paint cleaner. I'm still undecided on it. I didn't see much of a difference. By the time you clay and polish it's pretty darn smooth, I could feel a bit of a difference but nothing I could see. It can't hurt I suppose so I'll use it up but don't know if I'll buy it again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
in_d_haus - Over 3 days?

I have yet to use PS21 or Zaino and I think on Zaino you should leave it to dry for a day before the last step. I could be mistaken.

I saw in your post that you did your detailing over a 3 day period. When you wait that long between steps, don't you get dust on the vehicle? Aren't you afraid of scratching? If you use the California Car Duster, do you trust that enough to get all the dust off it to prep it for a polishing?

Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Re: in_d_haus - Over 3 days?

Schnitzer said:
I have yet to use PS21 or Zaino and I think on Zaino you should leave it to dry for a day before the last step. I could be mistaken.

I saw in your post that you did your detailing over a 3 day period. When you wait that long between steps, don't you get dust on the vehicle? Aren't you afraid of scratching? If you use the California Car Duster, do you trust that enough to get all the dust off it to prep it for a polishing?

Thanks for the info.
I try to do it all in a 24 hour period and my garage is extremely clean! (Carpeted, vacuumed 24 hours in advance prior to a detailing) I still get dust on it overnight. I will usually start about 5am and finish around noonish or 1pm when doing a twice-a-year full detail. Haus is just getting old and slow is all. ;)

Haus, be assured that the P21S paint cleaner re-introduced some good mojo back into your finish after polishing it out, and you'll also find that the wax lasts alot longer too!

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: in_d_haus - Over 3 days?

Ripsnort said:

I try to do it all in a 24 hour period and my garage is extremely clean! (Carpeted, vacuumed 24 hours in advance prior to a detailing) I still get dust on it overnight. I will usually start about 5am and finish around noonish or 1pm when doing a twice-a-year full detail. Haus is just getting old and slow is all. ;)

Haus, be assured that the P21S paint cleaner re-introduced some good mojo back into your finish after polishing it out, and you'll also find that the wax lasts alot longer too!
I was time constrained and had to do it during the week. A few hours a day after work. I was very careful to remove any dust in between steps. I did polish & wax in the same day so any scratches that may have resulted prior to this would have been removed in this step. The polish/wax took 5 hours on Friday hence the 11:00pm finish time for the detail.

Actually this is the fastest I've ever finished a detail (9 hours)

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
I get everything prepped out on a cardboard table and lined up in order of use. I can usually get thru a full finish detail (after the wash/claybar) in about 7 hours(one coat of wax though). :thumb: (Edit: I might add that this is just with Machine Polish #3. When I do Machine Polish #2, then #3, add about 1.5 to 2 hours)

Good call on the "Paint cleaner, then wax" with no break, don't want a spec of dust on her before the final waxing. Although I have put on 3 coats of wax over a period of a week, while washing/drying it inbetween applications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts