BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of the mods that can be done on the double-Vanos 540s is to put on the intake manifold from the non-Vanos 97 to 98 cars to get better top end power.

So as I can assume, the bolt pattern and seal patterns are the same.

Henceforth, has anybody gone the opposite direction and tried to put a 99+ intake manifold onto a '97-'98 540?

Sure, the 99+ manifold has thinner runners, but wouldn't this yield better low RPM flow velocity?

The double vanos helps out with the low end torque, but I would bet the manifold also helps out in that area too.

Could it be that a manifold from a double vanos engine could boost the low end torque of a non-Vanos engine without noticeably cutting the high end power?

Any why a single length manifold? Why not have a dual length manifold? Or is it already dual length and I just can't tell?

·
Registered
458 Posts
It is single length. The problem stems from air volume. At low speeds, you want smaller runners to speed up the air flow into the cylinder, and at high speeds, you want runners that will not impede the flow of air. Putting a 99+ onto a 97-98 will actually make it lose power up top, while maybe boosting it a bit down low.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts