BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Preferred replacement valve cover gasket for 528i?

I'm going to order a new valve cover gasket set for my 2000 528i but they list 3 different manufacturers. Does anyone have any experience with which one I choose? Is there one to stay away from? They're basicly the same price.

ELRING KLINGER
GLOECKLER - OEM
VICTOR REINZ

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
I just replaced mine and stayed with OEM. Not sure who made it though. Got it through a dealer. My philosophy is: When in doubt, go OEM, especially when there is no cost differential.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Whichever one you get, get it powdercoated!

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whichever one you get, get it powdercoated!
Normally I wouldn't do this but please.... slow down, don't jump to conclusions and actually READ the original post! I'm NOT getting a new valve cover. I'm getting a new VALVE COVER GASKET SET!!!!! You don't powdercoat a valve cover GASKET!!!!! :mad:

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts

·
Russ
170 Posts
When I did mine on my 540 last month I went with Gloeckler. I believe that is OEM or at least what Pelican Parts would lead you to believe. I will say that I read many posts about the gaskets trying to fall out when you flipped the VC over to assemble, but I did not experience that much with the ones I got. They fit very snug for the most part. I'm not sure if the different brands slightly differ in how they fit in the VC ridge, but I'd got with the Gloeckler. It was only a couple bucks more in my case. Good luck.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Normally I wouldn't do this but please.... slow down, don't jump to conclusions and actually READ the original post! I'm NOT getting a new valve cover. I'm getting a new VALVE COVER GASKET SET!!!!! You don't powdercoat a valve cover GASKET!!!!! :mad:
Erm, yes, sorry…

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
i went to carquest and they got me what they called world product. basically it was oem replacement. don't stress over it, pick one, all of them are going to give a warranty. and if you still can't decide.
pick the one in the middle.:)

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
ha,ha, just went back and read the choices.
but really i've seen the victor's listed on autohausaz's website as well pelican. and i just got a set victor's intake gaskets and both tb's.
they all look the same size and thickness as oem. and i'm very happy.

·
bimmer love
267 Posts
felpro makes gaskets for bimmers? i know there good. i just changed a bunch of gaskets on my 5. just went with oem from the dealer

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I'm going to order a new valve cover gasket set for my 2000 528i but they list 3 different manufacturers. Does anyone have any experience with which one I choose? Is there one to stay away from? They're basicly the same price.

ELRING KLINGER
GLOECKLER - OEM
VICTOR REINZ
They are all good. Victor Reinz is a tad higher quality.

P.S. make sure you pick the grommets too. If you don't change those out, yout VCG job = fail.

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are all good. Victor Reinz is a tad higher quality.

P.S. make sure you pick the grommets too. If you don't change those out, yout VCG job = fail.
Thank for the info. :thumbup: I remember seeing them on Real OEM.

Is this the correct part for the grommet and is it correct that I need 12 of them?
07 Rubber seal 12 09/1998 11121437395 $1.17

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used victor gaskets in the past and had a hell of a time getting the half moons to line up on the rear of the cylinder heads, very frustrating and they still leaked. This time I used OE bmw gaskets and they went on perfectly. I would go OE.

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
It does not matter what car you own. Gaskets and Seals are "Sticky" business.
Sometimes aftermarket Gaskets and Seals are better and sometimes worse than OEM.
Unless the OEM Gaskets and Seals are known to be bad product (which is rare), I'd stick with OEM Gaskets and Seals because most of these jobs involve alot of labor.

Example:
- Last year I had my indy replace the Rear Main Seal on my 1998 Volvo V70, 10h job with $700 labor charge.
- The I know Volvo OEM RMS lasts at least 90-100K miles. So I used Volvo OEM RMS (about $30).

I could have used another brand of RMS (not much savings about $25) to save some money but I'd have to gamble!
The aftermarket RMS may last longer or less than OEM.
When in doubt, use OEM Gaskets and Seals, the "$5 savings" by going aftermarket may not justify the labor involved.

As the British say: "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish!".

PS: Having said that Victor Reinz is a very good company!

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, I'm putting together a list of parts needed and am a little confused. At the same time, I plan to change the exhaust cam position sensor (OEM not aftermarket) as well as the spark plugs. Are there any recommendations as to which spark plugs to use? How many grommets? Do I need anything else besides some anti sieze for the spark plug threads?

Valve Cover Gasket kit 11129070990 (1)
Grommet 11121437395 (?) I've seen 12 and 15. Not sure how many.
Anything else?

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys. All of my parts arrived today. It only took one day from Zygmunt. For future reference, here are the parts I used. I did go with the Victor Reinz gasket kit.

Had the oil changed this morning and they mentioned that the power steering hose is leaking but wasn't leaking last time. UGHHHHH! Guess it's time to do some research on it.

11129070990 Valve Cover Gasket Set
11121437395 Valve Cover Seal Washer (12)
BKR6EQUP NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs (6)
12147518628 Camshaft Position Sensor (Exhaust)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts