BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife asked me to post a question if there are going to be any issues with rest stops on our trip - Here it is in a nutshell

Munich to Neuschwanstein, then to Salzburg.

Salzburg to Prague (any good roads through here?) back through Germany.

Prague to Vienna

Vienna to Munich

Her concern is frequent rest stops. We have both done plenty of travel, just not in Europe and don't know what to expect. Any help is appreciated, and any input on our trip is welcome!

Jose

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
I'm not sure I follow what the issue is, namely what prevents you from making a "rest stop" whenever you need to, by getting off the Autobahn at the next exit or pulling into a Raststätte or parking area?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Munich Factory tour will be an issue should you choose to do this excellent tour. 2 to 2.5 hours of duration.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
There are rest stops along the A-Bahn etc. the highways are much more organized than ours and rest areas are more readily available, also unless you are in the middle of nowhere gas stations have WCs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Although not pregnant, I was worried about this same issue. I found it wasn't an issue at all. Rest areas are more frequent than here in the US and usually accompanied by a sign giving you the kilometers until the next one so you can gauge if you need to stop at one or not. I found the rest areas usually clean (with the exception of one quite disgusting experience in a mall in Italy), although I did find that several were out of TP. I don't think you really have anything to worry about. You should be able to find restrooms readily available and quite easily spaced apart.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, my wife really appreciates it, as do I if this calms nerves. To answer JSpira's question - My wife wants to know what to expect as to how often she can pee during our driving (cleared up the issue?). Our travels to Africa, Asia, Central America, South America, the pacific, and other locals have taught us not to assume anything. It is not that we assumed that Europe would not have adequate facilities, rather we worried that it would be like crossing Kansas or Nevada where the space between rest stops would be too long.

Thanks to all with the helpful input and understanding of my issue.

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
Munich Factory tour will be an issue should you choose to do this excellent tour. 2 to 2.5 hours of duration.
Yes, there were no bathroom breaks on the factory tour except right before it starts. The issue with stopping is how much of a hurry you are in. There are plenty of rest stops except maybe on the autobahn otherwise there are plenty of places to stop at. Its funny that you mentioned not to assume this but we were in Gdansk Poland and the kids had to use the bathroom. It was 4kids and two moms but they had no money to pay and walked out with a lady behind them screaming at them for not paying.

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
665 Posts
My wife was pregnant during our ED, and we did not have any problem finding the necessary rest stops throughout Germany Austria Italy or Switzerland. They are generally better equipped than what you will find in the US. Also plenty of McD's (at least in Germany)

The more difficult problem is finding bathrooms in big cities like Venice, Prague and Turin. Fortunately most of the restaurants were accommodating, and of course most hotels and museums have facilities. In general people are much happier to assist than in my decidedly child-unfriendly hometown of SF.

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
You'd have to think as big as the average prostate has to be around here that this issue has been addressed....:rofl:

·
Registered
333 Posts
You're not in Kansas anymore. :D

Europe has a much higher population density and more rest stops on the highways. Even if you're in the city, look for a McDonalds, etc. They tend to have clean toilets and they're free! You can find them in just about every European city centre.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Keep a bunch of half euro coins around, as many rest stops charge for use.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
Her concern is frequent rest stops. We have both done plenty of travel, just not in Europe and don't know what to expect. Any help is appreciated, and any input on our trip is welcome!

Jose
My wife was 6.5 mos. pregnant during our ED and it was never a problem. We did make frequent stops, but more because we wanted to get out of the car and see things or eat meals. If nothing else, you'll want to stop to stretch legs and such. Given your route, I wouldn't worry much. Just use the facilities when you have the chance and she'll be fine.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
Also in railroad stations, department stores, and other public or semi-public places.
...and the charge is often in the form of a tip to the restroom attendant. You wouldn't want a run in with the Toilettepolizei. ;)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Coins and some SOFT TP. The quality will vary throughout the trip. It is not uncommon to have to buy paper from attendent before entering WC in CZ. Some Euro TP is quite interesting. One side is waxed paper with the other side sand paper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again, Thanks so much for the input!

Jose

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
Coins and some SOFT TP. The quality will vary throughout the trip. It is not uncommon to have to buy paper from attendent before entering WC in CZ. Some Euro TP is quite interesting. One side is waxed paper with the other side sand paper.
Ah, an excellent tip! And I agree about keeping some euros in your pocket. If you get jammed up just wait for another user and they will be glad to help. Most Europeans speak enough English to get you out of trouble.
My wife found that keeping one of those mini-packets of Kleenex in her pocketbook was just the right thing. Buy enough in the US to get you by.
You didn't say how far along she'd be. I'd assume less than six months? A rest stop every hour or so should be no problem. Be sure to get her photo on the bridge over the gorge above Neuschwanstein. You will want to take the bus up, or a carriage if you have no pity on the horses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To DSXMachina - she will be about 6 months along.

The trip is going to be excellent. Her bigger concern was the bathroom thing, but she feels much better after reading all of the input from you all.

I am a bit concerned about theft in CZ after reading some of the threads. Our car will be in a garage most of the time, but we are going to go to two sights just outside of Prague for one day and then return. I will of course use my common sense, not leave anything visible in the car that anyone would want to steal, and hope that no one would steal the whole car in broad daylight at a tourist sight.

I am going to be using a Garmin with Euro maps (thanks to the loan program here!) but I hope that Google Earth's driving times are somewhat accurate. I guess we will find out.

Again, thanks for all the help

Jose

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
To DSXMachina - she will be about 6 months along.

The trip is going to be excellent. Her bigger concern was the bathroom thing, but she feels much better after reading all of the input from you all.

I am a bit concerned about theft in CZ after reading some of the threads. Our car will be in a garage most of the time, but we are going to go to two sights just outside of Prague for one day and then return. I will of course use my common sense, not leave anything visible in the car that anyone would want to steal, and hope that no one would steal the whole car in broad daylight at a tourist sight.

I am going to be using a Garmin with Euro maps (thanks to the loan program here!) but I hope that Google Earth's driving times are somewhat accurate. I guess we will find out.

Again, thanks for all the help

Jose
For a second opinon on driving times, and perhaps a better route, check out the michilin page: http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

If you have some probs with the routing, pm me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts