BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just had my rear pads replaced at 18,500kms, which i find rather peculiar as usually thru all my years of driving the front pads tend to wear faster at a ratio of roughly 2:1 ie 2 front to 1 rear pad.
the local dealer places the cause to softer rear pads as compared to the front, but why would bmw do that??
im wondering if any other 5series F10 drivers out there have the same experience.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well I recently took off all my wheels and happened to get a look at the pads and at 9,500miles my rear pads are pretty close to worn. The fronts have tons of meat on em but it's just as I expected as I frequently power brake and burnout while roasting the rear brakes so I doubt I'll get another 5k miles out of it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well I recently took off all my wheels and happened to get a look at the pads and at 9,500miles my rear pads are pretty close to worn. The fronts have tons of meat on em but it's just as I expected as I frequently power brake and burnout while roasting the rear brakes so I doubt I'll get another 5k miles out of it.
Wow. Not sure why BMW would do that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I just had my car serviced today (annual service), same situation with rear has 10,000km left while the front has 30,000km left. The Service Advisor says:

1) If I do mainly city/local traffic driving, BMW has engineered the car to use the rear brakes more than the front (75% more use of the rear) to bring the car to a stop .... by using the rear brakes more, the car comes to a 'smoother' stop without the traditional 'front end diving'
2) In a high speed braking, like driving in the highway, BMW programmed the car to use more of the front brakes as they do have more braking power than the rear.

Bottom line is ... if you believe my SA, then that's the explanation ... othewise, BMW just want you to pay up to get the brake done much sooner than exptected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the trend it seems that most of you are also experiencing a faster rear brake pad wear rather than front, whether it be coming from being a softer pad or an increase in rear brake pressure. that puts my mind at ease as this is not a localised event.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and yes i guess BMW wants you to pay for the service incurred for pad replacement to recuperate some of its fees back from the free 3yr or 60K kms maintenance and service that they have expensed on in Malaysia

·
Registered
458 Posts
In US, brakes replacement is included in the free maintenance. But this does not apply to Canada. We just get annual oil change, brake fluid replacment (once every two years) and that's all.

Well I thought that the brake pads were included in the free maintenance? Cause I'm thinking I'm gonna go thru 3 sets of rears before my 50k is up lol.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
All my BMWs have worn the rears faster than the fronts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose for the price you pay for a 528i in this part of the world, circa US150K (base model), BMW malaysia has probably factored in the cost of all parts, service, labour and maintenance cost for the first 3yrs of the car.
so yes, am glad thats its the norm for the rears to go first, not something more sinister and also glad that its done for free for the next three years, which from the looks of it itll be another 2 rears thatll go and a front pad to be changed.
thinking out loud, before reading thru everyones train of thoughts, i was under the impression that the brake energy regenration had something to do with less of the front brakes being used, assuming that this were to be coupled with the front wheels to transform kinetic energy to electrical energy, wouldnt this have assisted with the front brakes whilst braking hence the less wear on the front, but i guess not. the service person would have gladly highlighted that point.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
I just had my car serviced today (annual service), same situation with rear has 10,000km left while the front has 30,000km left. The Service Advisor says:

1) If I do mainly city/local traffic driving, BMW has engineered the car to use the rear brakes more than the front (75% more use of the rear) to bring the car to a stop .... by using the rear brakes more, the car comes to a 'smoother' stop without the traditional 'front end diving'
2) In a high speed braking, like driving in the highway, BMW programmed the car to use more of the front brakes as they do have more braking power than the rear.

Bottom line is ... if you believe my SA, then that's the explanation ... othewise, BMW just want you to pay up to get the brake done much sooner than exptected.
Someone should tell BMW that this is not working. Braking this car to a stop takes the most concentration of any car I have ever driven. I should note that my driving does fit the pattern of being largely city / local traffic.

In any event, strange to note that this is the case. Our Volvo S40 went through rear brakes faster than the fronts, which I was told is normal. My Volvo V70 did not, but then again, it was a wagon so the weight balance (and therefore brake bias) was much different.

One of the things I find odd is that if the rear brakes are supposedly doing more work, you would expect to see more brake dust in the rear, or at least a balance. But, as is in most cars, there is much more dust present in the front than the rears.

My car currently has just under 20k miles and it's telling me rear brakes are up in 8k and fronts in 19k.

·
356 Posts
I had the warning that my rear brakes needed to be replaced in 3,200KM (@24,000KM) and when the car was in for its winter setup change over a couple of weeks ago the SA looked at them and said the warning was false, they had plenty of wear left on them and they reset the warning. Now it tells me I've got 20,000KM before they need to be replaced. I now have 25,000KM on the car. I'll make sure they look at them in the spring when I put my summer setup back on.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The ODO on my car is 38000km
In cic distance for changing brakes:
Front brakes: within 70000km
Back brakes; within 9000 km

I asked my SA before he told me it had to do with smaller brakes in the back?
And inconsistencies of the brake wear indicator system...

I asked another SA last week, he told me the stabilisation of the car is using braking with one of the back brakes for ajusting driving stability all the time, so the back brakes wear faster....

I do not know what to believe.

But more than 100.000 km with front brake pads? Never have had such kilometrage with any car.
And 45000 for back brakes, hhmm, do not know, the difference between front and backk is what realy puzzles me.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My car went in for rear brakes around 11k miles. I consider that way too fast. I usually get 30k and up on a set of rear brakes. Most of the time after 30k they still look close to brand new....

·
Registered
162 Posts
im at 34,000 kms and it says rears due in 2000 kms while fronts in 20000... last few bmws I had I did not have to replace breaks at all and they both made it to 60,000, so i'm not sure how accurate computer in 5er

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.