BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
driving a D around RTP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In which regions of the USA have you found premium diesel?
What can you say about the branding and/or advertised fuel specs?

I'm in North Carolina and so far I have never seen "premium" diesel during my travels in state or during a couple road trips around the east coast. The only pumps I've seen that post a cetane rating above the regulation-mandated minimum of 40 are at a few local stations labeled B20 with 45 cetane.

·
Go Buckeyes!
337 Posts
Never seen "premium" diesel in Ohio, and I have never noticed advertised along the freeways in PA,IN,WV,SC,KY,MI,TN,IL,GA,FL

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Doesn't the manual say something about what level of biodiesel can be ran? I thought it was no more than B10.

Down here in Texas, the Shell stations say premium diesel or most of them say it but I never have seen a cetane rating put on any diesel pump around here. I know the Chevron does not have the higher cetane rating down here, if I remember correctly it is not with the exception of the west coast(supplied by the refinery in Cali) but I'd have to verify on that.

Maybe this helps some for where you are:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4639858&postcount=498

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
I have never seen premium diesal and I have been in every state on the east coast, exception Georgia. I have been to OH and CA....and by being there I also mean driving.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The Chevron refineries in Cali and Hawaii both produce high cetane rated fuel. The one in Hawaii does not have any of its fuel shipped to the lower 48, would assume it is what is sold on the actual islands. The one in Cali I am pretty certain has its fuel sold there but may not be specifically labeled as "premium" in any of those locations. I just did a quick google search and found press releases from earlier this year about their Techron D fuel being sold in Sacramento stations, sounds like Techron D would be what to look for on their signs instead of looking for premium.

Edit, not sure why I typed to just look for Techron D since that has nothing to do with the cetane rating and is there for "cleaning" but regardless the cetane rating from the refinery in Cali is high and pretty certain the diesel sold in the state is supplied from there. Here are some quotes about those cetane ratings:

Typical California Chevron production is 52 because of additional requirements of the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for vehicular diesel fuel
Typical Hawaii Chevron refinery production is 61.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have not been able to find many pumps in the area with cetane ratings on them. The ones I find are 40-42. In fact found some pumps without a ULSD, which just amazed me enough to just drive away. I have been using a booster until I can find the proper fuel. In in NJ btw.

·
driving a D around RTP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses so far.

Doesn't the manual say something about what level of biodiesel can be ran? I thought it was no more than B10.
Right. The manual states B5 is maximum. B20 can be splash mixed with dino diesel to yield B5 equivalent.

I think I read that in europe they allow up to B20. According to what I've read, if it is to be believed, there is speculation that BMW (and VW/Audi, too) say B5 in the US because our fuel standards are not up to par with european standard. Euro apparently has strict requirements on testing for things like glycerin and water in biodiesel, whereas USA has relatively little (any?) regulation on biodiesel. Bio in the US might be good...or it might not. If it is not good enough then it is up to you to figure out who pays to repair expensive damage. I've also read that at least one state (Utah?) mandates a minimum of B5 at the pumps. Of course, I know better than to believe what I read on the internet, so this might all be outdated info or it might be fud.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
The Chevron refineries in Cali and Hawaii both produce high cetane rated fuel. The one in Hawaii does not have any of its fuel shipped to the lower 48, would assume it is what is sold on the actual islands. The one in Cali I am pretty certain has its fuel sold there but may not be specifically labeled as "premium" in any of those locations. I just did a quick google search and found press releases from earlier this year about their Techron D fuel being sold in Sacramento stations, sounds like Techron D would be what to look for on their signs instead of looking for premium.

Edit, not sure why I typed to just look for Techron D since that has nothing to do with the cetane rating and is there for "cleaning" but regardless the cetane rating from the refinery in Cali is high and pretty certain the diesel sold in the state is supplied from there. Here are some quotes about those cetane ratings:
Where did you get your quotes about the cetane level of the diesel production from the California Chevron refinery? Here is a citation from chevron.com that would seem to counter your quotes: http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/prodserv/fuels/diesel_west_region.aspx Note the minimum cetane number specification of 40 for CARB diesel.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Where did you get your quotes about the cetane level of the diesel production from the California Chevron refinery? Here is a citation from chevron.com that would seem to counter your quotes: http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/prodserv/fuels/diesel_west_region.aspx Note the minimum cetane number specification of 40 for CARB diesel.
The original numbers I went off of came from their Intranet but since I could not really quote that and give a link, I did a google search and came upon this and meant to paste it in my prior post:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2932241&postcount=23

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
The original numbers I went off of came from their Intranet but since I could not really quote that and give a link, I did a google search and came upon this and meant to paste it in my prior post:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2932241&postcount=23
Interesting how the forum you cited had a citation in the thread to the link that I provided in my earlier post. 'Typical' doesn't necessarily mean that you can rely on the property going forward. I guess one approach would be to buy a cetane tester (at approx. $2,000) and then you would know what the cetane rating was at the time you purchased the fuel. Then there is the issue of lubricity.... Chevron is silent on that mater. If you want certainty in the absence of a pump that is explicitly listed as selling 'Premium Diesel', it would seem that a fuel supplement (like Powerservice) would be indicated - you get the additional lubricity plus a cetane boost in the bargain.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I saw that too and I also skimmed through that 117 page PDF on there to see what it might offer information wise, but I am going to trust my source(my wife) within Chevron on the matter. She has been an engineer with them for quite some time and for the past couple of years has been working for their alternative fuel section and prior to that for a few years with the additives and then other areas within the company before that. The current and last position specifically have had her routinely engaging with their test engineers and just last week was talking to them specifically about the fuel needs for these cars since we had just bought one and it was by pure chance she was out there for unrelated reasons. That is when we found out that Chevron has been testing these motors for awhile now, but they do test a lot of different motors so not like that is anything special. She is still trying to get back with them to find out what cetane booster they would run because all are not created equally but has been busy with other things so not sure when exactly that will happen. I tried looking through my emails that have a cetane rating from the California refinery but guessing I deleted that already, not 100% sure if the number matches the number from that other diesel forum link above. But regardless when I first was told the number it was rather high and something I'd not thought twice about running in my car which is when I also found out though that diesel never makes it to Texas so I am SOL on that thought.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Snipe, I would be interested in learning what the Chevron engineers have to say about which additives they have tested. Powerservice makes some claims which if true, would seem to make Powerservice an ideal additive. Short of Chevron marketing a 'Premium' diesel with all of the requisite features, it would appear that there will be a need for a supplemental additive package, as cetane number is only part of the solution.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
If/when I find something out, I will be sure to share the information. I am trying to find out more about Techron D as well.

·
Registered
814 Posts
We pay a lot for our diesel but it sure is top grade stuff - even the cheaper "normal" diesel is good quality.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
If/when I find something out, I will be sure to share the information. I am trying to find out more about Techron D as well.
I wonder if Chevron might not be in the process of positioning Techron D as its own diesel additive package (that would presumably compete with Powerservice, Amsoil, etc.) in much the same manner as it does with Techron for gasoline? It gets curiouser and curiouser.

Please keep us updated. Nothing like having a source in a position to know....

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Possibly although I think Techron is typically marketed as a cleaner and not a booster. Isn't Powerservice marketed as a booster amongst other things?

·
Registered
591 Posts
In IL most of the stations offering diesel are selling B11 now, I was under impression that 335d specs B5 the most.....
Isn't B11 11% of Biodiesel versus B5 - 5%....is it ok to use B11 or you cannot buy diesel in IL at all for your 335d?
:eek:
T

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Possibly although I think Techron is typically marketed as a cleaner and not a booster. Isn't Powerservice marketed as a booster amongst other things?
The predominant problem for gassers seems to be carbon fouling. The only reliable octane booster that I have found is to add 101 Octane unleaded race gas. My first exposure to carbon fouling was with a 1986 VW GTI that had to be de-carbonized at 11,000 miles (and I used Shell premium gas almost exclusively up that point). After switching to Chevron, no more carbon build-up (in any of the gassers I have owned since the GTI). Techron seems to be marketed to those who do not have access to Chevron gas in their area.

With ds, I expect the problem will be more along the lines of insufficient cetane and lubricity. While Powerservice has a full line of additive products for what seems like every situation, the two most prevalent (at least in my neck of the woods) products are a cetane booster and lubricity offering (silver/grey bottle) or a milder cetane boost with lubricity and anti-clouding offering (white bottle). If Chevron wanted to, they could rather easily market a competitive offering to Powerservice (whether as Techron D or some other trade name). The question is whether they want to.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I believe not enough cetane means inefficient burn which leads to carbon build up and that is my worry since no cleaner that comes in via the injectors would reach the backside of the intake valves. Honestly not thought much about a possible lubrication issue.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
I believe not enough cetane means inefficient burn which leads to carbon build up and that is my worry since no cleaner that comes in via the injectors would reach the backside of the intake valves. Honestly not thought much about a possible lubrication issue.
Earlier in the 335d thread, there was a discussion about the lubrication properties of ULSD. The Cliff-Notes version is that the lubrication specification for U.S. ULSD is less than what is required in Europe. Does that mean that the fuel system in ds running U.S. ULSD will prematurely fail? I don't know. But in the absence of certainty and with a solution available, should one consider using the solution? That is an individual decision.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts