BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
3,585 Posts
For our '06 530i it was installed at the factory.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I read where it was also a dealer installed item - assuming that it is both. If you do not have installed by the factory the dealer can install it. I was hoping that if was isntalled by the dealer I could have them install the iPod interface. I guess not since the iPod interfaced has been delayed for the 5 and the changer is already installed. I guess I'll live with the changer for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
iPod interface

I just purchased a '06 530i that does not have the iPod interface, but has the 6 disc CD changer ---- I went to Radio Shack and purchased the iPod adapter that goes in the cigarette lighter (cost 70 bucks) ---- works great and no loss to the quality of sound ---- great to have over 2000 songs at your disposable when just out enjoying the car in the weekends.

·
Registered
673 Posts
iPod interface delayed?

B2Blain said:
Thank you. I read where it was also a dealer installed item - assuming that it is both. If you do not have installed by the factory the dealer can install it. I was hoping that if was isntalled by the dealer I could have them install the iPod interface. I guess not since the iPod interfaced has been delayed for the 5 and the changer is already installed. I guess I'll live with the changer for a while.
Just read your post and this is the first I heard about the iPod interface being delayed - is this true and do you have more info?:dunno:

I ordered the premium sound package that included the CD changer and I even ordered extra CD magazines to make the changing easier. But, I was going to get an iPod (nope, don't have one yet) and have the CD changed swapped for the iPod interface.

I guess I'll wait . . .
Now, If I could just get my lousy Sirius reception fixed!:mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
B2Blain said:
Is the CD changer for the premium sound system installed by the dealer, or the facotry?
The dealer can install the cd changer for you it will cost 1100 vs. around 600 at the factory. That was the quote I got from a couple of dealers in my area. Just get an ipod use the aux input or wait for the ipod interface. BTW if you get a cd changer and then want to get the ipod interface you will have to take out the changer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can get a CD changer for $450 if you buy it off the Internet and install it yourself. It was super easy for me in my M3. Steps are:
1) Buy the changer and the proper bracket for your car
2) Put the big plug in the big socket on the changer
3) Put the little plug in the little socket
4) Screw in the changer and bracket

Takes about half an hour.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Either works for me

I have the factory installed version. I wouldn't have minded too much if the dealer installed it. The main thing for me, is that the warranty be the same - 4 yrs/50K, no matter which option.

If one way has a lower warranty, with electronic components, I'd go the opposite way.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
mach schnell said:
You can get a CD changer for $450 if you buy it off the Internet and install it yourself. It was super easy for me in my M3. Steps are:
1) Buy the changer and the proper bracket for your car
2) Put the big plug in the big socket on the changer
3) Put the little plug in the little socket
4) Screw in the changer and bracket

Takes about half an hour.
Adding devices to MOST based car is not straightforward. The car needs to be programmed to recognize the new device.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My M3 is MOST, but I should clarify. BMWs are pre-wired for both the CD changer and Sirius. No programming needed. However, it has to be a BMW CD changer (made for BMW by Alpine). Other CD changers will not work without programming or perhaps a gray market adapter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The car has to be reprogrammed. It does not matter if the car is pre-wired or not. Mine was and it still has to be reprogrammed so the car will recognize the cd changer in the idrive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I found out after I got the car that my CD changer does not play MP3 files, only the main CD slot does that. It was a waste of money. If I was re-ordering today I would not get the CD changer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
dvd ??

amg1957 said:
I found out after I got the car that my CD changer does not play MP3 files, only the main CD slot does that. It was a waste of money. If I was re-ordering today I would not get the CD changer.
Does the main cd deck play dvd-r discs that have mp3's burned on it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.