BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,

Two years ago, I had a nice 3000+ miles trip in the Z4, from Viña del Mar, Chile to Punta del Este, Uruguay. Of course, we had several nice stops and enjoyed each town we visited in our way to the destination.

This year, I'm getting ready for something similar but I'd like to change a couple of things in order to improve comfort: 1. Update Rear Suspension (I already replaced the front), 2. Get rid of the run flats (at least the rear ones as those are old tires).

1. When it comes to the suspension, it's been really hart to find a solid response on springs and shocks to soften the car. I'm not really looking for improving handling as the car feels really good and responsive. Additionally, I wont be doing track or races at all. Then, my questions are:

1.1 Do you recommend any specific aftermarket shocks and/or springs that soften the car?
1.2 Can you use shocks and/or springs from the e46 or any other car?

2. I'm getting rid of the run-flats and replacing the fronts with the same size (225/45R17). In the back I would like to have taller tires (as long as they don't hit the bumper). Considering that I can deal with subtle changes in the radius and the way it might affect the speed reading:

2.1 Do you know how tall my tires can be? I'm looking for something like 235/55R17. Do you know if that's possible?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 535i, 2017 X3 x35
1,735 Posts
Go flats definitely have a "softer" ride but I would not have run flats on one axle and go flats on the other. Does your car have the Sport Package? Cars with the Sport Package have a firmer suspension and sit slightly lower than non-Sport cars and have staggered wheel setup. Be careful when changing tire sizes, larger diameter tires will cause your speedometer to read lower than actual speed and your handling will suffer as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply @GeorgeT. My Z does not have the Sport Package. I think I'll be fine with the speedometer misreading a lil bit. Is there specific reason why I shouldn't try run flats on one axle and go flats on the other?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply @GeorgeT. My Z does not have the Sport Package. I think I'll be fine with the speedometer misreading a lil bit. Is there specific reason why I shouldn't try run flats on one axle and go flats on the other?

Thanks,

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just switching to non run- flats at all 4 corners will soften (and quiet) the ride considerably, so much so that you may not need the suspension work.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just switching to non run- flats at all 4 corners will soften (and quiet) the ride considerably, so much so that you may not need the suspension work.
:thumbup: and depending on which non run flats they can improve handling but you give up flat security and wear out mileage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:thumbup: and depending on which non run flats they can improve handling but you give up flat security and wear out mileage
Thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate your advice, Andy and Wifesauto!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts