BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Damn, this is a godsend. It'll make the four times a year I have to drain and refill my coolant system seem like only two times a year!

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Damn, this is a godsend. It'll make the four times a year I have to drain and refill my coolant system seem like only two times a year!
:confused:

Better spend that money on a good colon cleansing machine.

mw

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
BMW brand coolant fluid is different than the regular antifreeze.

How is the Prestone antifreeze different from the BMW brand coolant fluid?

mw

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been using Prestone in all of my BMWs during the last 25 years, some of them with 250K miles.
Absolutely no problems ever.
I stick with Prestone Green.

PS: In a related discussion, apparently some shops do not use BMW coolant any more, read this and all the replies:
http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/712025

·
Gearhead
1,123 Posts
We bimmer owners ought to stick w/ phosphate-free antifreeze. I don't think the Prestone is phosphate-free. HOwever, for about the same coin, or ~$8/gal, the PEAK long-life antifreeze IS phosphate free. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
PS: In a related discussion, apparently some shops do not use BMW coolant any more, read this and all the replies:
http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/712025
I looked at this link and all I see is rumors, somebody heard somebody say, guesses and old lady tales, and nothing even close to any logical reasoning.

IF somebody saw a problem somewhere with the cooling system, making the frog leap conclusion that the BMW coolant is bad is a wild and irresponsible guess. Every system is a car can go bad at some point, on a few cars here and there.

"Some indy shops don't use BMW coolant any more" and what do they know anyway? Indy shops see cars only after the original warranty is expired. So these car have been driving around and the owners used who knows what in their coolant system. To find a few random cars with some issues and to tie that to the BMW fluid is illogical. Maybe the issue occurred because the owner did NOT use the BMW fluid. Nobody knows what happened with these cars and their service outside of the BMW dealer's standard procedures.

There are a lot of issues tied to the use of standard coolant fluid in cars when the standard coolant crystallizes in the system. The risk of harming the car with a standard fluid is astronomically higher than the chance of the non-phosphate (BMW requirement) fluid harming the system.

mw

·
Registered
209 Posts
Why are you replacing your coolant so often?
Coolant is good for 2 years or 24K miles man.
Because between cooling system part failures requiring a drain/refill and other work requiring removal of the radiator to make enough room to work, I have had to drain the coolant four times since I bought the car last year.

·
Registered
420 Posts
LOL... Now that I think of it that way your right. I have also probably drained and refilled coolant 4 times this year due to failures/maintenance. In fact as I type this my car is pleasantly pissing all over the garage floor. :rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Because between cooling system part failures requiring a drain/refill and other work requiring removal of the radiator to make enough room to work, I have had to drain the coolant four times since I bought the car last year.
Oh man, not cool. No pun intended =P

1 - 13 of 13 Posts