BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer told me that my car had the Logic 7 upgrade. It doesn't. Regardless, from what I am seeing in researching upgrades, it appears that about all you can do is upgrade the speakers. Is that correct? I've got a 2006 530i with the stock stereo.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It sounds like you found us with the speaker upgrade. It really does work as described and many customers find that they don't even need to install an amp. With that said though there will be a plug and play amplifier released :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
With that said though there will be a plug and play amplifier released :)
Well that is interesting and exciting news! Now that you put that out there, can you provide any further info? Is it a product that will be available in 2009? In general terms what are the benefits of doing this and is the factory radio a limitation (either Logic7 or non-Logic7) in setup with a new BSW amp and speakers?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes, it will be available for 2009. That is the plan right now. I don't have exact specs and pricing at this point. Still testing.

On the speaker and sound quality upgrade front an upgrade can be realized for both those owners with Standard and Logic 7.

Your OEM drivers in the E60 vehicles are not of subpar quality like it has been in previous model BMWs. They did a decent job on the actual componets that make of their drivers. Rubber surrounds and using aluminum on the midrange and tweeter. This helps them not blow as was the previous problem but does not lend well to them in terms of sound quality. The OEM drivers do not produce a flat and natrual frequency response which to most ears equate to poor sound quality and what one would call a choppy frequency response.

Our BSW mid drivers feature a curvilinear cone construction, rubber surrounds and a fiberglass composite cone. Our tweeters are made of a silk material. This combination leads to a flat frequency response that is very natural and very smooth. This equate to sound quality that the end user can experience.

The OEM amp is often blamed for the real reason for the lack of sound quality. However if we can address the glaring issues with the OEM drivers we can realize an upgrade. The factory amp while not of a sound quality competition level it does posses decent output and paired with the right drivers does have the sound quality that many owners are looking for.

Adding an amp will get more volume, more clarity and more sound quality.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Put replies to all the questions into one long post. Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
What product or upgrade are you looking to install?
I would just like to add an amplifier (JL 1000) to power a single subwoofer (JL 13w7). Just to add a little defined bass to the sound system.

Its not to hard to run the power/ground/remote/rca wire is it? thanks

by the way where is the battery located at? is it still in the trunk?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you know where I can get this set up professionally installed in California? Any recommedations? I don't like doing this type of labor, I usually just end up messing everything up in the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, it will be available for 2009. That is the plan right now. I don't have exact specs and pricing at this point. Still testing.

On the speaker and sound quality upgrade front an upgrade can be realized for both those owners with Standard and Logic 7.

Your OEM drivers in the E60 vehicles are not of subpar quality like it has been in previous model BMWs. They did a decent job on the actual componets that make of their drivers. Rubber surrounds and using aluminum on the midrange and tweeter. This helps them not blow as was the previous problem but does not lend well to them in terms of sound quality. The OEM drivers do not produce a flat and natrual frequency response which to most ears equate to poor sound quality and what one would call a choppy frequency response.

Our BSW mid drivers feature a curvilinear cone construction, rubber surrounds and a fiberglass composite cone. Our tweeters are made of a silk material. This combination leads to a flat frequency response that is very natural and very smooth. This equate to sound quality that the end user can experience.

The OEM amp is often blamed for the real reason for the lack of sound quality. However if we can address the glaring issues with the OEM drivers we can realize an upgrade. The factory amp while not of a sound quality competition level it does posses decent output and paired with the right drivers does have the sound quality that many owners are looking for.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Put replies to all the questions into one long post. Let me know if you guys have any other questions!
your complete package states it replaces every speaker in the car, I see that the package only includes 8 speakers, what about the other 2????? :tsk:

·
Registered
865 Posts
your complete package states it replaces every speaker in the car, I see that the package only includes 8 speakers, what about the other 2????? :tsk:
There are two subwoofers under the seats that aren't replaced as part of this package. From my understanding, they're a very unique speaker (shallow fit), and I guess a suitable replacement hasn't been found.

·
V-8 Driver
297 Posts
BSW Stage 1 in Non-Logic7 550i - Nice!

I called a couple weeks ago and spoke with Halston who took my order. They were running a nice forum discount so be sure to ask if buying in these last days of 2009. Halston said that a Stage 2 upgrade (an amp) was in the works but still some months from release. However, I was assured that I would get a discount on that amp as well as part of a package deal for Stage 1 and 2 when bought together - for the other models that have both available now, of course. Halston also said that they were considering an add-on trunk mounted subwoofer upgrade for the E60 cars to provide the lower extension of bass that the underseat subs can't get to... By the way, those underseat subs (6.5" on non-Logic7 cars) also voice a bit into the midrange, so the common forum idea of swapping them for 8" Earthquakes is not recommended as you will lose some of the mid range when you go to the larger diameter 8" driver - leaving a critical hole in your sound stage. It is better to just add on a sub in the trunk... My 8" Earthquakes are new-in-box and likely going up on eBay (where maybe they would still be an upgrade for folks with Logic7 cars as they actually have 8" subs from the factory...or just for someone who wants to do something custom and maybe not even in a BMW) as a result of this great conversation I had with Halston - thanks!

So, how does it sound? Noticeably better through FM and Sat radio. Through my iPhone 3GS running as an iPod loaded with Apple Lossless tunes - really fine! No kidding, this is a huge improvement. I have a really solid sound stage up front with a nice midrange rolling right into the bass coming from under the seats. The stock mid range drivers appear to be paper cones with rubber surrounds - hardly fitting for a car that retailed for almost $70,000. The BSW drivers look much better and, like the OEM pieces, they also have in-line filters to the tweeters. They remind me of superb MB Quarts or similar - my favorite after-market speakers for past car stereo installs...

Install notes: I took each front door panel off, and laid it on a table outside on blankets and worked to apply apply sound deadening on the backs of the door panels around and forward of where the driver fits, then I installed the drivers. Although the instructions tell you not to unplug your airbag wires, I found this to be much easier than trying to do it with the panel in your lap in the car. I was careful not to energize the car while the doors were apart - to avoid an airbag issue - but you must decide whether or not to ignore the BSW instruction sheets on that score - maybe I was just dumb lucky not to blow a door-side airbag, or throw a code (I got no codes on my after-install test drive, car runs great and sounds even better!)...? Anyway, I used the optional sound deadening (looks like Dynomat or similar) and I really think that made a huge difference in and of itself. My take - that is not an option - buy it when you get your kit. The tools they sell came in handy as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
djcwardog, are you still planning to install an aftermarket subwoofer and amp in the trunk? I understand that BSW does not yet have a subwoofer available for the E60 (2008 5 series). I am looking to put a subwoofer and amp into the trunk of my 2008 528i, but am concerned that I might end up giving BMW a reason to deny any future warranty claims on the vehicle. From what I've read online it seems the consensus is that you should not have any warranty issues unless the subwoofer/amp actually causes a problem with the vehicle, but I haven't been able to confirm this 100%.

·
V-8 Driver
297 Posts
Two amps?

If you have a non-Logic7 car like I do with the "Hi-Fi" 10 speakers including 2 under front seats, then you also have analog signals to include those to a small amp mounted in left trunk area over the wheel arch. There are posts with photos out there on 5series.com I think, that show you how to tap into that wiring harness to get an input and output signal from that harness for use with your new amp. I may do that as well. As for the the other 8 speakers, this is a total - but really we only have 4 wire pairs to an amp - stereo front and stereo rear - 4 channels - as the tweeters have a filter inline from their wires coming off their mating mid range driver. These main speakers are driven by an amp internal to the head unit. In Logic7 cars I think I've read that their bigger amp in trunk drives all 13 speakers as they add a center channel and a mid driver in each rear door...and they may actually be sending digital audio through the MOST bus and not just operating signals and data. I am not as sure on the tech aspects of our cars with Logic7 but it seems worth knowing even if I don't have a Logic7 car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply. Have you ever had an issue with the 6.5 inch speakers under the seats cutting out for a few seconds from time to time, when listening at higher volumes with the bass turned up? I've been having this issue - now that I realize there is a separate amp from the other interior speakers, I am thinking it might be the amp that drives the 6.5 inch speakers overheating and shutting itself off temporarily. Would be curious to hear if you or any others have experienced this problem? I think I am going to add a trunk subwoofer, and probably also the BSW stage 1, but even with a trunk subwoofer, the 6.5's dropping out will be very annoying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
what about that PnP amp?

so when does that PnP amp become available for the E60? i'm really anxious to do something about my 10 spkr system and have been eagerly waiting for this amp. i was planning on a BSW speaker upgrade too of course.

where is the intended "tap in" point in the car for this amp. will i need to run the harness from the head unit all the way to the trunk, or is the tap in point in the trunk?

any other details would be appreciated as well as an approximate release date.

if its going to be a year until its released i may have to consider an alternate strategy such as a JL clean sweep, or the Blaupunkt THA-555 pnp route. just not sure yet.

i would rather use the BSW amp due to the simplicity of installation.

thanks.

·
Banned
708 Posts
Since the E60 non-Logic 7 amp only drives the subs, this will be interesting :)

·
V-8 Driver
297 Posts
MS-8 for Those of Us with Non-Logic 7 cars...

The JBL MS-8 is now out. This provides a Logic-7 system as well as an auto-tune of the car audio system. It also has internal amps for all the channels. I will look into this one for sure. I don't care about rear door speakers, but I do plan to add the BSW matching center channel speaker if I do this. I think it would work to use the 6.5" under-seat subs as two of the 7 channels and then run a true trunk subwoofer with its own amp (for the .1 part of 7.1). A Jl Audio Stealthbox is available for our cars but it retails at nearly a grand... As I have read I think the MS-8 will set crossover freqs as part of its auto tune so it would ensure a proper signal going to those under seat speakers. I care about this because I think they actually contribute a bit to mid-rage voicing as well in the stock set up.

·
CARPE DIEM
353 Posts
Let us see if I can get some input here.

I have a 535i 2008 with NO L7.

This is what I have from my old BMW:

JL 500/1 v2
JL 300/4 v2
Sub 12W6 in a JL enclosure.

My plan is to replace the speakers the 4 4" and the 4 1" tweeters. I have no clue on which brand to get. I had MB Quarts Premium in my old BMW and worked well but those were 6" and this ones are 4" so less power RMS supported.

I am not planing to use the crappy subs under the seat. I will use my 12W6.

I am not planing to touch anything related to the Nav, iDrive, nor OEM Stereo. I have SIRIUS OEM as well.

Any clue about the component brands or about anything of this setting?

Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts