BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any preventative Maintenance that should be done on an 2003 E39 525I with 140K miles?

Current List of Service i did myself since getting the car in the last 300 miles with no service history...

Valve Cover Gasket
Thermostat
Water Pump
Ceramic Brake Pads and Vented Brake rotor in the front.
Oil Change (5-30) with Oil Filter
Serpentine Belt/ AC belt with Pulley tensionors
Air Bag Recall
Sway Bar Links. (old bushings were so gone!)
New Headlight Bulbs (Half of them were Not working.)

I wanted to get a few other things done but just waiting to get around to it.
New Tint. cant see out the back window.
Airbag light is on constantly i wanna get a tool to get the airbag code.
gonna be doing a cooling system overhaul just to make sure its done.

This is My first car and i've only had it about a month. So i realize its a big undertaking to run into maintenance from the get go but i love the car and i wanna make it last.
I have access to a garage where i can lift the car and work on it really cheaply with all the tools i could ever think of. Any Help is greatly appreciated.

·
Kinda officially welcomed
412 Posts
I dont see you listing any of the pollen, air or gas filters. That would be a start. I say plugs as well as coil boots.That can all be done fairly fast and easy. Then my preventative measures are a little more picky than others. I would Change the front O2's if they have no records of them being done in the last 80k miles, gas cap, MAF cleaner, TB cleaner/cleaning, VANOS seals, CCV (again if theres no record of it being done) and ICV. These are just a few things I would add to whatever others will suggest to you.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 195 K miles
1,818 Posts
I would certainly change the transmission oil and filter, using only BMW recommended transmission oil.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Move that completion of the cooling system overhaul to top of the list.

Strongly consider new parts:
- expansion tank
- main hoses
- viscous fan clutch
- maybe even radiator
- pulleys on main serpentine belt system

Cooling components are weakest parts on these cars. You have no history, assume the cooling stuff is original - money in the bank to replace the remaining parts I've listed.

Good luck/Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
587 Posts
Skip the engine air and cabin air filters if they aren't obviously clogged. The only impact of a modestly clogged air filter is slightly less power available at wide-open-throttle.

You should do a freshening of the transmission fluid. Make certain that the fluid is LT71141 rated. Valvoline has a full synthetic ATF that meets the spec for a reasonable cost. If the transmission pan isn't leaking, don't risk disturbing the seal just to change the transmission filter.

Use your judgment with the radiator, expansion tank and hoses. They don't always need to be changed, but definitely replace them if they show signs of being brittle.

At some point, likely sooner than later, you'll need to change the coolant hoses under the intake manifold. That's a good time to change the CCV and clean the ICV. ($100-$200 in parts)

Plan on refreshing the oil filter housing stack. The means replacing the oil filter housing gasket, removing the plastic back from the alternator to clean out the leaves and measure the brushes, checking the idler pulleys for wear and bearing smoothness, and replacing the three power steering crimped hose clamps. (Under $10 in parts, add a $30 VANOS oil hose if it's leaking).

·
Registered
478 Posts
For my money:
- Buy a code reader. I use a Creator 310 which seems to work well. You may need a plug adaptor.
- I would change the transmission oil AND filter. Its not hard but it is dirty, that stuff goes everywhere.
- I would also judge yourself on the cooling system. If the plastic looks brittle (white blotches on it) then it probably needs replacing. At least fix any leaks.
- If the engine runs OK I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it until you get a code reader.
- Clean the sunroof drains. If you dont you'll end up with a car full of water.
- Airbags can be tricky but the code reader will help a lot here.

My 2 cents.

Spod

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Double check/inspect the cooling components as others stated; problem with plastic stuff is failure is sometimes abrupt...use your judgment, err on conservative side...none of the parts are really all that costly.
Good luck/Bill

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 195 K miles
1,818 Posts
Double check/inspect the cooling components as others stated; problem with plastic stuff is failure is sometimes abrupt...use your judgment, err on conservative side...none of the parts are really all that costly.
Good luck/Bill

Exactly. It is really basic Physics: plastic vs metal, plastic loses and goes out first. Plastic parts are the first prone to failure.
So, for the cooling system, check/replace hoses and the expansion tank first. Idem for the other engine parts: check/replace the plastic parts first, and do NOT reuse plastic parts replacements from the junk yard, unless in an emergency...!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts