BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am thinking about purchasing a new 135i coupe. does anyone have any experience with Evo's or Sti's tht can compare the powerband, acceleration and handling differences of the 135i? I havent had time to go test drive one but heard they are super fun to drive. Do the pull all the way to redline or do they fall flat around 6,000 rpm's like the Sti? Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Different powerband. If you liked that insane boost hit in the older EVOs then you will be disappointed in the BMW. It is much more progressive and doesn't feel as frantic. The speed will sneak up on you instead of banging you in the forehead.

Of course that begs the question what is better? Driving 60 and feeling like you are doing 100mph is great fun. Driving 100mph and feeling like you are doing 60mph is not so much. It is a much more grownup car than the older Evo/STi for both good and bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess I will have to test drive the car to see if I really like it. Does the car have good top end or does it taper like most turbo cars? Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well I guess I will have to test drive the car to see if I really like it. Does the car have good top end or does it taper like most turbo cars? Thanks
Not much taper but it is there. Nowhere near as bad as a Mazdaspeed3 or the EVO. But it is there. It doesn't feel like an S2000 that keeps accelerating to redline; eventually the turbos run out of steam. 5500 rpms it starts to taper off but you won't experience it on any road if you are keeping your speeds even half way legal. I felt it in 3rd gear on a track; 1st and 2nd are quick enough not to notice the dropoff.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
I see, Does the BMW pull pretty hard and how does the 6 speed feel?
It pulls very hard. Torque is (under-)rated at 300 ft-lbs from 1450 - 5000 RPM, which means you will get lots of thrust at any RPM, basically. Yet it still spins to the redline without the slightest strain.

Because of the massive torque, the tranny is fairly reinforced. Throws aren't very short like a Miata but with very well defined, positive throws - there is a BMW OEM short shifter kit available.

It pulls like a freight train. You can hit the 150 mph speed limiter with little effort in both 5th and 6th (scary thought). Adding a mild piggyback (or flash) will make it feel like a nuclear freight train. :)

The suspension is alot softer than an Evo or STI, with more body roll. The runflats work better on this car than on a say 335i SP, but they still suck as far as handling, grip and feel are concerned. Coming from an Evo/STI you may want to swap them out for EP/UHP tires.

There is a host of cosmetic and performance mods available through the Performance Catalog, with more to come. Look forward to suspension, aero, CF bits, exhaust, intake, etc.

I like this forum, but you will get much more info on 1addicts.com.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do, I really hope the car pulls as hard and feels as fast as reviews make it out to sound. I want to be sold on the car tomorrow so I can place an order :thumbup:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Hehe, we were drag racing D-Mod class cars down the straight at Willow Springs (without any software mod yet)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,

I am new to this forum and am thinking about purchasing a new 135i coupe. does anyone have any experience with Evo's or Sti's tht can compare the powerband, acceleration and handling differences of the 135i? I havent had time to go test drive one but heard they are super fun to drive. Do the pull all the way to redline or do they fall flat around 6,000 rpm's like the Sti? Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, :)
While i have a lot of respect for any WRC winning car i must add with utmost respect that any BMW you get would be a definite upgrade from the ricer cars you have owned.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Ricer" is a very common term in the car world and usually refers to heavily modified 4 bangers. It probably has it's roots in the fact that most of them are Japanese or Korean cars, but the SRT-4 is also lumped into that same category, so there are American "ricers" as well. I don't think it's intended to be a racist term.

The difference between a "ricer" and the 135i is that the "ricers" gain performance at the expense of comfort. They tend to be loud, have a very harsh ride, and have that abrupt turbo kick that slaps you in the gut when you hit 3,500 RPM. The 135i is quiet, has a very luxurious ride and pulls so smoothly that you can get to 100MPH and not even realize you're doing 100MPH. It's not quite as exciting a feeling, but it's much more tolerable as a daily driver.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
I owned a 05 sti that had about 340awhp and last week when shopping for a car for my wife we drove a 335 sedan.Well as far as power goes the bimmer is at least equal to my sti.Actually I was impressed on how strong it pulled with 4 people in the car,ac on and temps outside were close to 100F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless the evo is highly modded,I got to say the 135 should beat the evo in a drag,now as far as handling the evo should win.I was actually saving up for a evo 9 but after driving the 335 i'm leaning to a 135 or 335

·
Registered
425 Posts
Unless the evo is highly modded,I got to say the 135 should beat the evo in a drag,now as far as handling the evo should win.I was actually saving up for a evo 9 but after driving the 335 i'm leaning to a 135 or 335
Straigh line speed, yes the 135i is the winner.

But the Evo beats any BMW in handling.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Straigh line speed, yes the 135i is the winner.

But the Evo beats any BMW in handling.
With the expense of ride comfort, rattles, and head jarring shocks when hitting a bump...NOT worth the trade off IMO, especially not in a DD. If your buying it strickly for track, then sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the expense of ride comfort, rattles, and head jarring shocks when hitting a bump...NOT worth the trade off IMO, especially not in a DD. If your buying it strickly for track, then sure.
the new evo isn't anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. I test drove both the 335i and evo x, and the evo x definitely isn't as comfortable, but much nicer than an evo 9. The evo x is definitely capable car to daily drive, of course probably more suited to a younger audience. I chose the 335i convertible, i'm about to move to hawaii soon so that fits my lifestyle better. But the evo x is the betters drivers car than the 335i coupe... PERIOD!

and the term ricer is used for people who make their cars look or sound fast when they are not, not cars that sacrifice comfort for performance, if that was true than a lotus would be a ricer car as well as caterhams and aerial atoms. that wouldn't make much sense would it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts