Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I would be glad if some can give me some help here!!
I have been planning to buy a new BMW 335i from USA or Europe & have it shipped to Egypt. Many people told me that I should buy from the states & not Europe because cars in the states are usually cheaper than Europe, is it true?
If yes there is a difference in price, is it due to difference in Specs.?

·
Registered
259 Posts
From cnn.com this morning:

BERLIN (AP) -- The dollar hit a new all-time low Thursday, its second record in as many days, as the euro surged to $1.5982.

The euro rose in late-morning European trading above its previous record of $1.5978, set Wednesday. It then settled back slightly to $1.5967.

The dollar has been weighed down by a combination of gloomy U.S. economic data and high European inflation.

The dollar and the euro used to be at parity ($1 = 1 eur.) At that time, a car sold in the US for $40,000 and a car sold in Europe for 40,000 euro would be the same price. Today, a car sold in the US for $40,000 is worth about 25,000 euro. A car sold in Europe for 40,000 euro is worth about $64,000. The price differences have basically nothing to do with spec differences on the cars (unless you count the emergency triangle and first aid kit you get in Europe that you don't get in the U.S.), and everything to do with currency fluctuations.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
BMWs are much cheaper in the USA. More standard equipment, too.

I think the difference is a marketing decision by BMW. They accept lower profit in the US market than in Europe in order to keep sales high.

I have been planning to buy a new BMW 335i from USA or Europe & have it shipped to Egypt. Many people told me that I should buy from the states & not Europe because cars in the states are usually cheaper than Europe, is it true?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
European-spec 3-Series cars have much less standard equipment than those sold in the U.S. However, when similarly-optioned the U.S. car will be substantially less expensive from what I've seen, and even more so after considering the currency valuation differences as others mentioned. I would suggest buying a U.S. car - although I'm sure you also want to consider shipping, any export taxes/duties, your country's import laws, etc.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi everyone,

I would be glad if some can give me some help here!!

Dude I smell Trol.. "Doma" is not an Egyptian name.. 335 would not even run in Egypt due to the fact that the highest octane they have there is like 89.. and Egypt custom taxes on cars with 3.0 liters engines + turbo is like 300-400% which means a 335 will cost 5 times its price to import to Egypt..

Don't waste your time answering this troll guys :tsk:

·
Registered
13 Posts
To put it into perspective; a similarly equipped to mine (auto/premium) UK spec E90 costs about 28-29K pounds MSRP. Thats roughly $60k US dollars. So yeah, with or without the weak dollar, Europe is a rip off:) And I dont know all the specification differences. But lights and different options/packages/engines are the ones that stick out the most.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dude I smell Trol.. "Doma" is not an Egyptian name.. 335 would not even run in Egypt due to the fact that the highest octane they have there is like 89.. and Egypt custom taxes on cars with 3.0 liters engines + turbo is like 300-400% which means a 335 will cost 5 times its price to import to Egypt..

:rofl: are you serious? The dudes asking a simple question, not trying to scam the biggest deal of the century. Who cares?

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
Easy answer go to German BMW site and price it out and then do the same at US site and you'll have your answer. US much cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

your right. doma is not my name. it my nick name. Since your an expert in Egyptian market, ever heard of something called "Trip Ticket cars". probably not. It is a simply a way for buying a car from abroad & then using it in Egypt for only 6 month and afterwards you ship the car outside the country or sell it to any other third party outside the country. By doing so, you don't have it pay customs as long as you will ship the car out after 6 month. But hey, who am I to talk. You’re the worldwide expert of BMW here. And as for the petrol issue, you've probably haven't heard either of buying a BMW with GULF specs or Egyptain Specs. Maybe one day you should visit Egypt in the summer. Take care & thanks anyways for the taking the time to reply.

As for all the guys who replied with helpful info, Thanks a lot.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Easy answer go to German BMW site and price it out and then do the same at US site and you'll have your answer. US much cheaper.
Tax is different. I think the European configurators have the VAT included. Germany's VAT for autos jumped to 19% recently, too.

No matter how you cut it, the US is a cheaper place to buy BMWs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
your right. doma is not my name. it my nick name. Since your an expert in Egyptian market, ever heard of something called "Trip Ticket cars". probably not. It is a simply a way for buying a car from abroad & then using it in Egypt for only 6 month and afterwards you ship the car outside the country or sell it to any other third party outside the country. By doing so, you don't have it pay customs as long as you will ship the car out after 6 month. But hey, who am I to talk. You’re the worldwide expert of BMW here. And as for the petrol issue, you've probably haven't heard either of buying a BMW with GULF specs or Egyptain Specs. Maybe one day you should visit Egypt in the summer. Take care & thanks anyways for the taking the time to reply.

As for all the guys who replied with helpful info, Thanks a lot.

why did you even bother replying to mr "know-it-all" i guess the rules say you must have a name that reflects where you are from? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Tax is different. I think the European configurators have the VAT included. Germany's VAT for autos jumped to 19% recently, too.

No matter how you cut it, the US is a cheaper place to buy BMWs.
And people in another thread are complaining because they are no longer including a flashlight with the car. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Just go to WWW.BMWUSA.COM and build the car of your choice. When you select summary, both the US and German prices are available. US is given and German is listed when you select ED. :D
Assuming you're not joking about this, the ED price is only available to U.S. buyers that must sign away that they will drop the car back off for shipment to the U.S. It is not related to the German pricing. The ED rules are very strict, you have to pick up the car in person, and they match a copy of your passport that your dealer makes to your actual passport that you hand them when you take delivery in Munich. They hold your passport from the moment you arrive at the delivery center to verify god-knows-what until you finish the paperwork.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
And people in another thread are complaining because they are no longer including a flashlight with the car. :dunno:
We pay in a different way for paying less cash up front. We get fewer option and drivetrain choices. We can't get certain colours. And now, they're taking away the flashlight too.

I'm not saying the US is the best place in the world to buy a BMW. It just happens to be one of the cheapest.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
We pay in a different way for paying less cash up front. We get fewer option and drivetrain choices. We can't get certain colours. And now, they're taking away the flashlight too.

I'm not saying the US is the best place in the world to buy a BMW. It just happens to be one of the cheapest.
I know that there are fewer engine choices because not all of their engines meet US emissions standards, but what other options and drivetrain choices are we missing out on? And what else have they taken away besides the cheap flashlight? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
And now, they're taking away the flashlight too.
I got a flashlight with my car yesterday.... :dunno: Are they not supposed to be including these anymore?

·
in a yard
25 Posts
guys

if u buy BMW in USA and then ship to EU its becomes the same price like you buying it from EUROPE, because yes its cheaper to buy bmw in usa but you need to know that export taxes/duties and so on are big amount of moneys, so

1 - 20 of 27 Posts