BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like there's a price increase as of today, at least for the 4er. $300 on the base price and metallic paint is now $700. I'm sure the increases apply to 3ers, too.

Cars on order as of yesterday are price protected.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ah, I was pricing the M240i today and noticed the $700 for paint. What was it before?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
D'oh - I am about to place my order for a 2017 340xi and I noticed the price increase too but didn't understand why the pricing on the quote sheet didn't match the MY2017 Pricing guide.

This explains it!

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just for grins I built a fairly loaded 328i, non-M Sport, and a Merc C Luxury, equipped as closely as possible. The C came out $1,600 higher than the 328i. I also built an equivalent B9 A4 (fwd) and it came out $4,200 less than the 328i. I must say if I was going Quattro v xDrive and I could live with the A4's front drive biased design and its handling characteristics I would be pretty tempted by the A4.

·
340i ZMT
1,067 Posts
My build for a 17 340i has pricing on metallic paint at $550 still. I placed the order a week ago but it's a SA build and won't go into production until this month. Is it possible they try to make me pay the extra 150?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Haha, $700 for paint. Amazing. BMW is going to be so pissed when they are mandated to include backup cameras as standard. Expect the base price of a 328i to start at $41000 at that point.

If the Audis leased anywhere close to BMW, I would strongly consider the new A4. Audis are generally far better equipped for the money, interior material feel, fit and finish are slightly better than BMW and that google earth interface with the nav looks light years better than BMW's nav set up, which honestly looks like a Garman nav unit from the early 2000's.

But, they lease pretty badly, so BMW still wins. When we were shopping for a crossover for my wife before settling on a Tiguan, the quote we got on an Audi q5 decently equipped was like $2999 at signing, 58% RV and $570 a month or something insane like that. They are not cheap leases.

If I could lease a premium plus A4 for the low 400's and $1500 driveoff, comparable to a 328, I would probably jump ship. Haven't driven one but based on the reviews, it sounds like an excellent car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Curious to see if my CA ends up raising the price on my quote since my car is still waiting for BMWNA to approve my Individual Special Request.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious to see if my CA ends up raising the price on my quote since my car is still waiting for BMWNA to approve my Individual Special Request.
If you don't have an order in the order bank you'll probably pay more. Not sure if you're required to have a production number.

Anything to do with forex?

:dunno:
Not likely.

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
Haha, $700 for paint. Amazing. BMW is going to be so pissed when they are mandated to include backup cameras as standard. Expect the base price of a 328i to start at $41000 at that point.

If the Audis leased anywhere close to BMW, I would strongly consider the new A4. Audis are generally far better equipped for the money, interior material feel, fit and finish are slightly better than BMW and that google earth interface with the nav looks light years better than BMW's nav set up, which honestly looks like a Garman nav unit from the early 2000's.

But, they lease pretty badly, so BMW still wins. When we were shopping for a crossover for my wife before settling on a Tiguan, the quote we got on an Audi q5 decently equipped was like $2999 at signing, 58% RV and $570 a month or something insane like that. They are not cheap leases.

If I could lease a premium plus A4 for the low 400's and $1500 driveoff, comparable to a 328, I would probably jump ship. Haven't driven one but based on the reviews, it sounds like an excellent car.
No doubt Audi's are better equipped for the money. They are still designed as FWD cars with AWD due to the engine being sideways and over the front wheels. No one is praising the new A4 as a great handling car by the way and I thought you liked this aspect of your 320i.

Also, Audi charges $575.00 for metallic paint and MB $720.00 so BMW is certainly not out of line. BMW has kept the price of the 3 series constant for about 3 years now.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

Audi leases are weird. Curtain metro areas can get 2017 Audi's a4 at a good price. One person on the edmunds board got a 2017 a4 prem plus Quattro with tech package and cold weather for about 459 a month in NJ. Audi dealers are able to mark up the mf factor at much higher rate than BMW dealers. A couple of months ago I was going car shopping for my dad who was looking at a 2017 a4 Quattro prem plus with the tech package. We first try a Audi dealer in north Miami that was charging $800 a month with the Costco discount. He was able to find the car that he wanted at 500 a month in Broward county. The terms he got were 42 months 10k miles a year with inceptions, Audi care , and first month payment due at signing. Audi care increases the residual 1%. Also Audi's MSD program is weaker than BMW's. One security deposit for Audi reduces the mf by .0005 while reduces it .0007 for a BMW.
One more thing is that the Audi dealers were a lot cheaper than the Audi dealers in south Florida. Some Audi dealers in nj were taking off 4.5k off sticker

·
Registered
216 Posts
BMW brand sales were down 4.4% in July in the US and are down 8.4% for the year so far. So they react by raising prices. Where did BMW NA marketers learn economics? BMW has always charged more for metallic. Back in the 70s and 80s it might have been justified because solid colors had no clear coat, so metallics with clear coat were an extra step with more paint. But I doubt it costs any more to paint a car metallic these days than it does a solid color.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BMW brand sales were down 4.4% in July in the US and are down 8.4% for the year so far. So they react by raising prices. Where did BMW NA marketers learn economics? BMW has always charged more for metallic. Back in the 70s and 80s it might have been justified because solid colors had no clear coat, so metallics with clear coat were an extra step with more paint. But I doubt it costs any more to paint a car metallic these days than it does a solid color.
Sales are down in the entire segment, for all manufacturers.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I think I said this earlier in the thread, but almost no one outside of these message boards will notice this, or if they do, not really care.

A $300 increase on a 35k car is less than a 1% increase (.8% I think?). This is basically the equivilent of a box of cereal going from $3.99 to $4.05. People get mad at price increases for a box of cereal too, but if your favorite brand of cereal went up 5 cent, would you change brands?

Some might, but most wouldnt... and especially if they only bought this brand of cereal every couple of years or so as a "treat" to themselves. They would not even notice.

The price of the paint is a much larger percent increase, and probably makes a much bigger difference to BMWs bottom line actually. Not sure how long the price has been 550 for metalic pain but its at least since 2013 when I got my 2013 BMW.

I would imagine the economics of having to put people in all those rentals for the takata airbag fiasco, is finally coming home to roost. We can complain about it here (I dont like price increases any more than the next person), but like I said the vast majority of people wont even notice, nor care.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ the $550 paint price goes all the way back to the E46.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts