BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW raised the MSRP $300.00 and $150.00 increase on metallic paint on any builds effective today. It should have no impact on prior orders.

I only looked at the X drive four cylinder

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand it. They are making more money (millions) just by the fact that the maintenance plan was reduced.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
I don't understand it. They are making more money (millions) just by the fact that the maintenance plan was reduced.
They've yet to make any money on that program as it affects 2017+ models only, and it will be years before the removed 4th year/last 14k miles come into effect.

And what we don't know, and never will know, is if they have been losing money by providing brake services in that last year. And that prompted the change.

It's not always a pure profit play ... it could be getting some profit back.

Who knows.

Michael

·
Registered
409 Posts
They've yet to make any money on that program as it affects 2017+ models only, and it will be years before the removed 4th year/last 14k miles come into effect.

And what we don't know, and never will know, is if they have been losing money by providing brake services in that last year. And that prompted the change.

It's not always a pure profit play ... it could be getting some profit back.

Who knows.

Michael
Well, the pricing structure of the ultimate care+ or whatever it is called nowadays is pretty telling - $600 to bring the first 3 years back to the previous level of coverage and more than 1k for year 4 so looks like brakes it is.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the pricing structure of the ultimate care+ or whatever it is called nowadays is pretty telling - $600 to bring the first 3 years back to the previous level of coverage and more than 1k for year 4 so looks like brakes it is.
Is it only $600?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Some oil, filter, and other air/cabin filters, top-up fluids, inspections, etc. Nothing much but it's a nice BMW feature. Even my wife took her X3 there all by herself and let them change whatever they wanted to change ... and everything didn't cost a cent. It's that type of comfort and happiness knowing the dealer will make it the best before releasing it back to us. With other brands... I think I have to go there to review and audit their entire parts replacement list because it's a dealer and they sure have lots of suggestions and an extremely long parts replacement list every time we show up there!!! :D

edit: even her sister took her Mini to her dealer for service, mentioned some occasional engine noise/ping/whatever... didn't need to worry about any cost because everything falls into their nice maintenance plan or warranty. Lo and behold... they actually gave her a new motor!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I fully agree that the 'all inclusive" maintenance is nice. What I meant is that after the MY17 changes , you have to pay $600 to go back to the previous level of the included coverage for the first three years/36k. And that additional "plus" coverage is for brakes, clutch, and wipers. And most people, imo, would not get to the point to need brakes or clutch in the first 36k miles.

And then the cost for year 4 spikes. Overall to have the previous "all inclusive" for the first 4 years, now will cost around 1.6k for the "typical" models.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I hear what you are saying. Some people may not need brakes/etc so soon but some do. If we do lots of city driving, on hills/slopes or in stop-n-go traffic jams then yeah it'll be gone fast. It took me 26 minutes to go 2 miles round trip sending the kid to school this morning! I think he can get there faster on a skateboard. BMWs traditionally have "soft" (but powerful) brake pads and kinda soft rotors.... and that gives the infamous BMW brake dust. Actually all our 3 bimmers got new brakes before 36k. The 4th white X5 is still new. The latest X3 has an appointment for new brakes next week (it's under 30.2k miles right this minute). If we drive it on flatland or freeways for long distances daily (without traffic jams) then it's not likely to need brakes quite so soon. The new pay-for-some-maintenance rule... it's not so hot but understandable because they can't give away too many free things for too long. Their 4th year spike is a brilliant strategy. They have some mathematicians/statisticians or data mining experts to figure if the customers don't wipe out the brakes in 36k, they will do it before 48k!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts