BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BMWCCA Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The configurator on BMWUSA shows new higher prices for many models as of August 1 2016. For instance, 2017 2-series, 4-series and X1s are all higher in MSRP by $300, and metallic paint is now increased in price from $550 to $700.

Does anyone have information about these unannounced price increases?

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
The configurator on BMWUSA shows new higher prices for many models as of August 1 2016. For instance, 2017 2-series, 4-series and X1s are all higher in MSRP by $300, and metallic paint is now increased in price from $550 to $700.

Does anyone have information about these unannounced price increases?
What information are you seeking?

And BMW doesn't "announce" price increases. Just gives the dealers info a few days in advance.'

Sold orders in the system by July 31th will be price protected when delivered.

Michael

·
Registered
610 Posts
Reduced free maintenance, higher invoice pricing, now paint cost increase - BMW is getting desperate?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Not desperate, just seeing tightening margins and I'm sure the Airbag Recall is costing a ton of money that was unexpected.
It seems a bit much altogether. That may impact their sales and market share, which will cost them even more.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It seems a bit much altogether. That may impact their sales and market share, which will cost them even more.
I dont think it will - maybe at the low end of the spectrum where they are reaching downmarket and have to fight for price sensitivity. But for most, $300-$1000 more on a 50k car is not going to make them shop MB instead.

Dont get me wrong, it sucks. But its a calculated risk for an increased margin play. My guess is the beancounters have already done a projection and are comfortable with the minimal potential loss. They are probably counting on MB to do the same as they are all seeking that extra point in their margins.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
95% of customers will probably never even notice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I closed my deal on Saturday to lock in the previous prices.. My dealer showed me a BMW bulletin showing these increases.... I hope they are offset by residual increases in the coming months

·
Registered
984 Posts
95% of customers will probably never even notice.
This.

I already torture myself every month the residuals and MF get better/worse. I dont need to track another number to tell me I missed out on a good deal. :mad:

In the end, either the cost is affordable to you or not; and learning that it was cheaper last month will only drive you nuts because you cant do anything to change it. Or you may give yourself a pat on the back, for closing a deal right before an increase.

:thumbup:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,789 Posts
It's a little interesting that they're raising the metallic paint price. It has been $550 for literally years and years. I checked Merc and they charge $720. Audi is only charging $575. Kinda confirms my view that BMW views Mercedes as their most direct competitor. Mercedes continues to offer halogen headlights on the base C Class, too. If you like Audi and are buying (rather than leasing) they do represent a pretty good value. They pony up quite a few standard features to attract buyers that BMW and Merc don't.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just noticed the price increase. If I have a car on order and a production number, I assume that I am locked in at the July price.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's a little interesting that they're raising the metallic paint price. It has been $550 for literally years and years. I checked Merc and they charge $720. Audi is only charging $575. Kinda confirms my view that BMW views Mercedes as their most direct competitor. Mercedes continues to offer halogen headlights on the base C Class, too. If you like Audi and are buying they do represent a pretty good value. They pony up quite a few standard features to attract buyers that BMW and Merc don't.
But Audis are terrible to lease. Low residual and high MF.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I dont think it will - maybe at the low end of the spectrum where they are reaching downmarket and have to fight for price sensitivity. But for most, $300-$1000 more on a 50k car is not going to make them shop MB instead.

Dont get me wrong, it sucks. But its a calculated risk for an increased margin play. My guess is the beancounters have already done a projection and are comfortable with the minimal potential loss. They are probably counting on MB to do the same as they are all seeking that extra point in their margins.
We shall see. If you consider limited maintenance (no free breaks replacement), it is more than $1000, which can't be capitalized for $30k+ car.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
We shall see. If you consider limited maintenance (no free breaks replacement), it is more than $1000, which can't be capitalized for $30k+ car.
I have had 2 consecutive leases and have not had to have the brakes replaced. To me, the lack of brake jobs on the new maintenance plan is a non issue... but I dont track my car.

What other german manufacturer is providing ANY free maintenance? Pretty sure Merc and Audi are not providing anything on the maintenance front free.

I am not saying that i love price increases by any means.... just saying that only enthusiasts or sharp eyed shoppers will notice, and only during the change. 2 Months from now, that will just "be the price". Same with the maintenance. if the lack of free brake jobs under maintenance makes someone leave the brand, I am always wondering what brand they are going to that provides free brakes under maintenance.

Sure, It might make you consider another brand, because now the other BMW is equal to another brand as far as maintenance goes, but i doubt there is a large number of people who feel that taking away that 1 free brake job is enough to drive them from the brand.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The "estimated lease" numbers in the configurator seem to have gone up by about $100+/- for the same builds that I looked at a few days ago. The price increases shouldn't raise the estimated lease by that much. Does anyone have any insight / ideas as to why that is? Lower residuals? Higher MF?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,789 Posts
The "estimated lease" numbers in the configurator seem to have gone up by about $100+/- for the same builds that I looked at a few days ago. The price increases shouldn't raise the estimated lease by that much. Does anyone have any insight / ideas as to why that is? Lower residuals? Higher MF?
Maybe they were showing 2016 leases and have switched to 2017s. 2017 residuals are quite a bit lower than those for 2016s.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ultimately, the market will speak for itself. When Audi stoped their maintenance program they lost a lot of customers. It's not always about the money, some people just enjoy "worry***8211;free" lease.

I don't think I am too aggressive in my driving, but it seems like I need new brakes around 40,000 to 45,000 miles on my BMWs, and coming up with the extra thousand dollars at the end of a lease is not something I'm looking forward to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts