Blue Mettalic,
Interior- Canberra Biege
ZCW- Cold Weather
ZDA - Driver Assistance
ZPP - Premium
328 - Running boards
5DL - side and top view cameras
Z29 - trunk liners

Dealer says - MSRP - 64,420 and willing to give 8% discount to close the deal.
that is coming to 59,266

The vehicle is not at the dealership, but he says they will get it from other dealership no extra cost.

What do you think of the price ?
Any tips to get it further down ? and any gotchas to watch or ask as the vehicle is not in the dealership to look at .

-MDM

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Looking to get my first BWM - X5 xdrive 35i. Here are the specs
Blue Mettalic,
Interior- Canberra Biege
ZCW- Cold Weather
ZDA - Driver Assistance
ZPP - Premium
328 - Running boards
5DL - side and top view cameras
Z29 - trunk liners

Dealer says - MSRP - 64,420 and willing to give 8% discount to close the deal.
that is coming to 59,266

The vehicle is not at the dealership, but he says they will get it from other dealership no extra cost.

What do you think of the price ?
Any tips to get it further down ? and any gotchas to watch or ask as the vehicle is not in the dealership to look at .

-MDM
Is this going to be a lease, or a purchase? Did you calculate invoice pricing using the information on Bimmerfest in the ask a dealer section (2016 pricing sticky) and how close to invoice is that? For what its worth, I believe 8% off would be somewhere at close to or maybe even slightly under invoice... but I would still recommend calculating it.

If its a purchase, the only thing that is really important is the selling price and the interest rate (unless paying cash).

If its a lease, there is a LOT more to know but that information is here on bimmerfest.

Also, you will want to make sure there are no extra fees in the deal, like external paint sealers (cilajet or some such) or leather conditioners, or anything like that. Dont pay for any of that, regardless of if they tell you its already on the vehicle. Tell them That you will not pay for any dealership added paint sealers or such.

Ask about fees (documentation fees, etc etc.).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have posted more details.
It will be all cash purchase - does this get any additional leverage for further negotiation ?

Thanks for the tip on calculating the Invoice
MSRP came to 64420
Calculated Invoice came to 60646

8% off on MSRP is bringing the number to 59266 which 1380 less than Invoice

-MDM

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I should have posted more details.
It will be all cash purchase - does this get any additional leverage for further negotiation ?

Thanks for the tip on calculating the Invoice
MSRP came to 64420
Calculated Invoice came to 60646

8% off on MSRP is bringing the number to 59266 which 1380 less than Invoice

-MDM
It feels to me like invoice should be around that 59,266 number but I have not calculated it... in any case its either invoice or close to it.

Unfortunately, all cash purchases do not necessarily get an extra discount. People think so, but dealers generally dont care, because they are getting paid one way or another (either from you in cash, or from the bank).

In fact, removing the bank from the equation means that they (dealer) can not attempt to make money on the financing portion of the deal.

It looks like your pricing is good, but I would check with one of our sponsors just to be sure (like Greg Poland at pacific BMW or Jon schafer at BMW of Santa Barbara), unless you are talking to them already, just to see if they can save you any money.

As for anything else to watch out for, since you are making a cash purchase (and there is no opportunity for back end money on financing), as I mentioned watch for add ons when you go to sign the deal.

They "Might" try to sell you third party extended tire and wheel warranties (if you consider the tire and wheel warranty, get the BMW branded one, no matter what they tell you... the worth of those warranties is debatable, but at least the BMW backed one can be used at any BMW dealer). They will also likely attempt to sell you an extended warranty (which is up to you to consider).

They might try to tack on stuff like lojack (not worth it on a BMW because you have bmw assist which is basically same thing), or extra paint conditioners, or leather treatments. All extra paint / leather treatment etc should be declined.

I would also not recommend extending the MAINTENANCE contract (basically pre paid maintenance). Since BMW works on condition based maintenance, it means the car says when it wants an oil change.. you will not get one every 5k miles.. it will be something like every 10k miles or 1 time per year. Better to pay for maintenance that is needed as it is happening.

A 2016 will come with 4 years of free maintenance, and I really dont see a need to extend the maintenance portion past that pre paid. Warranty yes, pre paid maintenance, not really. My opinions of course.

Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
-MDM
Go to the other dealership and buy it from them instead. Dealer trades cost you money, the original dealer typically retains some of the back end resulting in less room for your dealer to lower the price. Remember you are purchasing a vehicle not a friend.

The way to leverage a cash deal is to be willing to walk and wait. If the dealer want's $59,500k put your poker face on and offer them $58,000 and if they balk just say well that's my offer call me if you change your mind then walk away. Let them sweat worse case they counter somewhere in-between. My brother is a master at this, they counter and he just keeps telling them no and eventually they fold. lol

You do have to be willing to lose the vehicle to another buyer, if you have your heart absolutely set on a particular vehicle then you have less leverage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts