Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Phillip, was in a crash. He's 97. He was reportedly unhurt but his Land Rover is on its side. (looks like a Land Rover Freelander 2, sold in the US as the Land Rover LR2, and last made in the 2014 model year)

It seems like he was pulling out of a driveway to the main country road, turning right. There another car, a Kia, hit him.

Both drivers did not have any alcohol when tested. The Duke of Edinburgh was not arrested or ticketed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46918039

One day after the car crash, a Land Rover of the same model Prince Philip had driven during the accident, was delivered to the Sandringham estate.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
So why is a 97 year old man doing driving out on the public roads anyway, Prince or no Prince?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
So why is a 97 year old man doing driving out on the public roads anyway, Prince or no Prince?
When are you going to give up driving on the public roads?

Locally we tolerate even cherish our Nonagenarians and Centenarians still independent and able to drive. When a familiar car is seen wobbling down the wrong side of the road, just pull over for old Mrs. Gudmunson on her way home from church.

·
Super Moderator
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When you live in the country, like where Sandringham estate is located, driving is sometimes the only practical way to get around. If one lives in Rhinelander, WI or El Dorado, AR or Russell, KS, driving is often the only practical way to go places.

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has servants so it is a bit odd that he has to drive instead of riding. If one is 97, it's wise to take advantage of the help that you have.

A replacement Land Rover of the same model was delivered the next day. Maybe it's because Prince Philip wants a familiar car so he doesn't have to look for the controls. The Land Rover Freelander 2 was last built in 2014. He was seen driving 2 days after the collision. The Queen was also seen driving today. The news reported that she was wearing a seat belt, something she doesn't do often. She was driving with an aide in the car and another car behind her. That is really a waste. Driving alone, fine. Driving 2 cars and having at least 3 others means you shouldn't be driving if you're not a good driver. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8232915/prince-philip-crash-driving-land-rover-no-seat-belt/

For public safety, periodic testing of the elderly is wise. I just looked up Washington state. If 70 years old or over, one must renew their driver's license at an office, not online. Usually, driver's licenses are renewed every 6 years.

·
Super Moderator
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I know what happened. Prince Philip was making a right turn, there was a collision, spinning his Land Rover to the left. He overcorrected when one tire went off the pavement, getting caught a bit, and the Land Rover flipped to its right side.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
When are you going to give up driving on the public roads?

Locally we tolerate even cherish our Nonagenarians and Centenarians still independent and able to drive. When a familiar car is seen wobbling down the wrong side of the road, just pull over for old Mrs. Gudmunson on her way home from church.
Thats great for where you live but here in Northern Virginia we have the 3rd worst traffic in the
country. A 97 year old driver wouldn't last 24 hours driving on our roads not to mention how
many lives he would hurt or kill based on his diminished driving and physical skills. I cherish
centurions as well but they shouldn't be driving thats what public transportation, Taxis, Ubers,
Lyft is for.

·
Super Moderator
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats great for where you live but here in Northern Virginia we have the 3rd worst traffic in the
country. A 97 year old driver wouldn't last 24 hours driving on our roads not to mention how
many lives he would hurt or kill based on his diminished driving and physical skills. I cherish
centurions as well but they shouldn't be driving thats what public transportation, Taxis, Ubers,
Lyft is for.
I agree that Washington, DC and suburbs has bad traffic. There is hope for the next generation of elderly in about 25 years. Self driving cars may be affordable then. Uber and Lyft help, too. If you can still walk, buses are tolerable in a number of cities and fairly convenient in much of NYC and San Francisco.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
Insurance Institute on Highway Safety and EverDrive app

Lyft is for.
You sound like you are proud of that, having among the worst traffic in the US and its threat to an a senior driver. You can take your normative ‘should’ and put it where your sun don’t shine.

Milady Wife is 80 y.o. and is doing just fine, thank you, well aware of her limitations. That is among the reasons we moved, leaving room for more Yankees to leave their spoiled Utopia.

I am 70 y.o. and my most recent citation was in 1977. My insurer pays close attention to my driving habits via EverDrive app. You might try it.

IIHS said:
Per mile traveled, fatal crash rates increase noticeably starting at age 70-74 and are highest among drivers 85 and older. The increased fatal crash risk among older drivers is largely due to their increased susceptibility to injury, particularly chest injuries, and medical complications, rather than an increased tendency to get into crashes.. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/older-drivers/fatalityfacts/older-people/2016
Apropos nothing, Prince Philip’s son, Prince Charles is just my age. So is Candice Bergen. I am proud to be utterly DEPLORABLE now with AGEISM added for more good taste.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The honourable gentleman was at fault 100% and put the life of a 10 month old baby at risk together with its mother which suffered a broken wrist. The honourable gentleman also failed to apologize to the lady in the Kia and was also spotted two days later driving with no seatbelt. As Battery Sergeant Major Williams would say: "Oh dear. How sad. Never mind"

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Lyft is for.
I know plenty of 20, 30, 40 and 50 year olds with diminished driving and physical skills. Whatcha going to do about that?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I know plenty of 20, 30, 40 and 50 year olds with diminished driving and physical skills. Whatcha going to do about that?
The majority of drivers in West Virginia not only have diminished driving and physical skills but you can throw in Mental capacity as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The majority of drivers in West Virginia not only have diminished driving and physical skills but you can throw in Mental capacity as well.
Please, let's not have jokes that insults people.

In Mississippi and Oklahoma, anyone can accuse another driver as being unsafe and cause the driver to have to attend a hearing. In Utah, complaints are confidential but don't automatically result in a hearing.

In Illinois, the elderly have mandatory road tests at the time they renew their license if they are 75 or over. At age 81, they must be tested every 2 years. At 87, they must be tested yearly.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Florida has some relatively lax laws concerning the testing required for the elderly to keep their driving licenses. That's because old people vote. Where I live, many of the retirees are transients, down for the winter. As a group, they're still lucid and physically able. Otherwise, they couldn't have made the winter migration down here. But, as you go farther south the retirees as a group get more physically and mentally feeble. Serious traffic accidents involving the elderly are more common there.

I had to take Mamma Putzer's Buick away from her when she was 83. It wasn't easy. The early warning signs were little dings and dents around the car. I was getting ready to report her to DMV when her physical health took a turn for the worse and made her physically unable to drive. She ended up in a nursing home that had varying levels of care. Some of the residents still had and drove cars. One of those cars was all banged up, too. I never took my BMW to the nursing home. I went by Mom's house and got her Buick before going over there.

A distant relative (cousin's father-in-law), 89, banged up his 991 Carrera. On the way home from the body shop, he went missing. The police put out a "silver alert" and they finally found him. That was the end of his driving and living at home.

Mamma Putzer had to take Granny Putzer's Buick away from her. It was 35 years old. Granny Putzer lived in the mountains, and on a one-lane, twisty road with a steep drop-off on one side. If you met somebody on the road, one of you had to pull into somebody's driveway and let the other car go by. Granny Putzer's old Buick stalled and that shut down the power steering. She almost went off the edge. While we were at it, we also took away Granny's .38 Smith & Wesson revolver. The thing ended up being about 50 years old, rare, and actually worth a lot of money. Later, I had to take away Mamma Putzer's .40S&W Glock.

One day I was visiting Granny Putzer in the nursing home. She was pissed. She said that the nurse had taken away her gun, and she needed it back because "those boys from down the hill might come back." Back when she was still in her house, she confronted some men attempting to break in. At the time, she claimed that she pointed a gun at them and they ran off. But, when she was in the nursing home years later the story changed. She then said that she "winged" one of them but he got away, but she was worried that he might come back. The nurse on duty at the time was cute, so I went up to the desk and asked he to pluh-eeeze give Granny her gun back.

·
Uniquely desultory
7,558 Posts
Whoa, being an old fart on a twisty mountain road and suddely losing power steering, that's some scary shyte right there.

I once collected an easy $500 because of a driver in his mid 90s. I was in a Hardware Store, the now deceased Orchard Supply Berkeley branch, a guy I worked with spotted me and told me that my van had just been hit in the parking lot. He had exited his car just in time to see the accident and recognized my rig, came into the store to find me.

I went out and the fellow had somehow floored the gas while backing out of his space - sent him in an arc backwards where he struck two cars. He put it in drive and did it again, same arc pretty much, and struck two more vehicles, mine one of them. Seemed like a sweet guy, looked pretty good for his age but could be his driving days were drawing to a close.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Why you so angry? I just pointed out that any demographic group can have diminished driving and physical skills.

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
ex-brit here,

if my Dad (RIP) (a senior) had done this, he would have been charged with, dangerous, maybe reckless, maybe driving w/out due care, no seat belt,
he would have had his license taken away from him by the DVLA, he would have had a hefty fine and insurance up the swanny.
In the UK, there is no "age" limit and no continuous testing. It is up to the driver and or any other medical authorities to inform the DVLA on the fitness to drive.
So in theory, if you are of sound,body and mind and no accidents your "safe"
If your eyesight no longer meets standard again your licence is revoked

ANY OTHER 90 year old had an accident like this there fitness would be question and at the very least a suspended licence, unless proved otherwise.

This jagoff, worked away unscathed and injured a familly and it's sear LUCK the baby wasn't injured or killed.

BUT as he is "royalty" and his wife is head of the government, what does he get as a result, A fuqing new CAR,
that just about sums it up, he's gonna go, business as usual.

Also as a SENIOR member of the "firm" why was his bodyguard not with him and unlike the rest of our pensioners
(seniors) who can't afford bus fare, he has 24/7 chauffeurs, there was NO NEED for this to ever have happened.

When Sh1te like this happens, you can see why ordinary folk wish that the monarchy should be abolished.

The family have NO hope at all, in suing or anything else other than what would minimally be granted.

Same all over the world, the "them" and the "us" and the them have it.

If your guessing I'm I'm a bit mad, you'd be totally wrong
I'm FUMING !

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Your right on everything, except this

NEVER EVER apologize, means you have admitted guilt, your insurance ALWAYS says that, MIND YOU, he could have just been civil and said, "ARE YOU OK" or "HERE'S £5000 Now go away) :)"

But that said

NO one of the ilk, breeding and generation and especially old school royalty will EVER apologies

and he doesnt need to worry about insurance claims ;)

The honourable gentleman also failed to apologize to the lady in the Kia and was also spotted two days later driving with no seatbelt. As Battery Sergeant Major Williams would say: "Oh dear. How sad. Never mind"

·
where da clutch at ?
2,782 Posts
Gotta get my wife to do this if I ever stack my car

***8220;The Queen has asked me to telephone you to pass on her warmest good wishes following
the accident and Her Majesty is very eager to know how you are and hope that everything is going as well as can be expected.
We***8217;re all thinking of you very much at Sandringham and I***8217;ll try you at a later date.
Unfortunately I***8217;ve got to go out quite shortly but I hope all is well as can be expected for you.
Thank you very much indeed. Goodbye.***8221;

1 - 19 of 19 Posts