Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the uuc ssk install, I'm hungry again;) . I usually do mods a little at a time (not my restraints, financial). Now that I look at the RE WSR, I'm getting a little curious as to whether it will improve the ssk further. I like it very much as it is now, but wondering if this will indeed take away some of the notchiness (especially from 1st-2nd). It would make the ssk a costly mod though ($95:yikes: for the WSR). On the other hand, after finding out if the M3 strut brace will fit the car, I would be tempted at that as well (but looking for a rear one more so). Then Jim Conforti is due soon, and have to restock up on detail products:( . What to do, what to do...:eeps:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Hold off on the WSR until you've had the SSK for a while. Mine smoothed out a LOT in the last few months, to the point where I'm not really considering the WSR anymore.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kaz said:
Hold off on the WSR until you've had the SSK for a while. Mine smoothed out a LOT in the last few months, to the point where I'm not really considering the WSR anymore.
I hope so. I've checked everything out again for the 2nd time, and made sure I didn't make any mistakes, but the whining is still there. It's dying out a little bit, so I'm hoping it will smooth out eventually:) . How long have you had yours?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I've had mine in for about 3 mos now, and it was about a month ago that it started feeling noticeably different.

As for the whine, read my description and see if this is it. If so, I got fix info from UUC that works great.

SSK noise

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kaz said:
I've had mine in for about 3 mos now, and it was about a month ago that it started feeling noticeably different.

As for the whine, read my description and see if this is it. If so, I got fix info from UUC that works great.

SSK noise
"If I keep pressure on the knob (especially in 3rd), the shifter acts sorta like an engine stethoscope, transmitting engine-RPM-dependent sounds (like the natural engine sound but at a higher pitch) through the knob. No question its from metal-to-metal contact between the shaft and top piece. I'll call UUC and find out if its safe to undo that nut and fix this myself or if I need a new unit."

This is it. I notice this from 1st-3rd. I also have the little metal contact sound from1st-3rd gears when I put a slight pressure on the gear. I checked the rubber seal, and the clip as well, but everything is fine:(. I also get the whoosing noise during 1st-4th while in motion. I don't know if this applies to you, but I get sort of a vague feeling from the shift knob as well (mine is aluminum, and although it is secured, it still feels like there is empty space within the knob). What did UUC tell you?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
There are 2 rubber pieces inside the space between the lower and upper lever halves. What happens is the 'cap' that covers the top of the inner lever comes loose, gets jammed up in the top of the hole, and allows metal-to-metal contact between the two halves of the lever. This was a change from their old design that used a couple of O-rings instead (you can see the remnants of the O-ring retainer grooves). UUC said they've since changed the design so that the cap doesn't fall off, but as a fix, said I should super-glue the cap to the lever. I did it with JBWeld the first time but it didn't hold for some reason, so I re-did it with CA (super glue) and its been fine ever since. The other tip is during reassembly, don't tighten the height adjustment grub screw down, or you will get metal-to-metal contact from that.

I have the stock knob on mine, and there's no 'vague' feel at all. In fact, it feels more solid than stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I experienced the same type of problems with my uuc ssk. when accelerating, you can hear the noise thru the shift knob, and when shifting, it made a swooshing sound. Luckily, I was able to return the uuc ssk. I picked up a RE ssk and WSR and am very happy with this product. Quite as stock, no rpm noises, no swooshing, just short shifts... :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts