BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i was coming home today, all these problems started to occur. when driving above 80km/h the steering wheel would start wiggling, and at any speed if i let my hands go, the car steering wheel starts wiggling more freely. Plus at 60km my car starts shaking, for some reason. Any one what the problem might be??????? :confused:

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
You've changed your tires recently, righ? Have the wheels balanced again at the shop that uses Hunter GSP9700 machine. That cures shaking problems in 90% of cases, if that doesn't help then have your suspension checked.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same problem sometimes with my old tires. could it be that something is wrong with the engine or brakes. I had a whole brake job on the car a couple of months ago and drove 10,000km since than.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It sounds like the classic e39 shimmy - unlikely to be related to brakes or engine.

The others are correct - first check lug nut torques, then check wheels & tire balancing, then look at suspension.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rtw_travel said:
It sounds like the classic e39 shimmy - unlikely to be related to brakes or engine.

The others are correct - first check lug nut torques, then check wheels & tire balancing, then look at suspension.
Wow sounds like expensive parts, i think i should get ready to pay of couple thosand dollars in advance :eek: , this car is ain't cheap to maintain nor fix, even for well off people !

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If the problem just started to happen the cause must be something like the wheel weights falling off or you hit a pothole and the wheel is out of round.

Regardless, follow the advice given and get the wheels/tires balanced. The type of balancing machine is less important than the quality and dedication of the person running it, but the Hunter machines are considered some of the best.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Common problem also with Jeep Wranglers. Seems that once a shimmy starts, it is so coordinated that it continues until you slow down or turn the vehicle. Check any of the Jeep boards and you are sure to find the source, and fix, for the problem.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
BMW528i_Bilal said:
funny thing it doesn't even matter, now that the car got into an accident and is severly demaged :cry: :eek: :bawling:
Geezz! Talk about an end to a problem... :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts