BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like many others have just over 100K on my 7. I bought car from dealer and while under warranty always serviced by dealer around 60K I complained of shifting concerns and dealer wound up installing new trans. Now that the vehicle is no longer under warranty I have considered having the trans serviced by my well trusted bmw mechanic that I had working on many of my vehicles over the past 15 years. However he has pretty much told while that while he can service the trans he strongly recommended against it. Claiming that in many cases he has seen other trans related issue come up after servicing. Because this went against all that I believed, I contacted a client that has wholesale transmission shop specializing in euro transmissions. Not telling him what I had previously heard, he said the same thing. He has rebuilt many of these transmission and says they are the same trans used in the LandRover. He says that these transmissions are quite sensitive to change and in some cases software update issue will arise to restore proper trans operation, and alot of times he says the control units never act the same after service. His advise was to make sure it's not leaking fluid and drive it until it fails. Anyone have issues arise after a trans service?

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
If the oil was never changed alot of times its the best to leave it alone, If it has been changed regularly then go ahead, but both gave you the correct advise.

·
Registered
673 Posts
None personally but many stories of issues after "service". I am not comfortable going past 100K regardless of what BMW says. I am also not comfortable keeping this complex beast past the CPO FWIW.

A few weeks ago I rode in a Chryco 300 cab and the owner/driver had 130K on the clock and did 4 oil changes, no coolant, and no trans service and DC called for 30K trans service (at least on my 300C which shared the MB 5 speed- not sure on his V6).

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I had new trans installed at dealer at 60k also and i now have 114k i am gonna do a trans flush next spring, bmw recomends every 100k but since you got a new trans you got new fluid at 60 so i dont see why there would be a problem doing a flush.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have 65K on my 2002 745 and when I bought it the transmission shifted harshly and skipped out of gear occasionally on inclines. The dealer said it leaked and wanted $7100 to replace the unit. I decided I hac nothing to lose by changing the fluid and filter with OE ZF parts and let an indy shop take care of it and the mechatronics sleeve as well. It works properly now, the dealer did not notice (or did not want to notice) the the fluid level was low and suggested the most expensive option--most beneficial to them.

I am with other posters here that there is no such thing as lifetime transmission fluid. Inevitably the protecting properties of the viscosity, etc. deteriorate over time which negatively impacts performance and longevity of the unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.