BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few problems with my 2003 325i:
1. The wiper fluid basin has fluid in it, but the pump will not dispense any on the windshield. Do I have to replace it?
2. Hazard light button and Central Locking button on the center console have both collapsed. They cannot be pressed or lifted. Is there any way to get under there to see what the problem is?
3. The Check Lamp light for the right hand side blinker will occasionally come on and the right hand blinker will flash much faster than usual, as if there is a short. This comes and goes.
4. Service Engine Soon light is on. Have not yet gone to Autozone for a Code Read yet, but I will.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1. Check the fuse and lines, then test and see if you can hear the pump activate when trying to dispense.

2. You can remove the trim and try to repair the switches, but I've never had much luck with that lasting. Might be time for new switches.

3. Not familiar enough with these to make a guess beyond a possible wiring issue like partially exposed wire or bad ground.

4. Need to read the codes otherwise you're shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1- when you actuate the washer do you hear the pump run????

2- as for your switches, since they are plastic, don't think they can be repaired, so pop off the center console and replace both switches.......

3- as for the blinker replace you hazard switch and see if problem persists, if yes check your bulbs front and back and side marker to see if any burnt bulbs, if problem still persists you may have to check circuits in rear lights, at times the contacts wear out or burn out I often repair with wire........

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,914 Posts
Intermittent blinker problem is common. Replace the socket and make sure to put a smear of dialectic grease in the socket too. Problem will go away.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hazard and Central Locking buttons are fixed. Popped out the plastic casing to find that one spring had come off and the other was missing. I found a similar spring in a Nerf gun and glued both of them in place so they wouldn't come out again. Taped everything back together and popped it back in. Works like new and I didn't have to buy a new one.

Since the weather has warmed up a bit, I haven't had any problems with the blinker.

The service engine soon light has gone away since I tightened the gas cap.

The pump for the windshield wiper fluid does not seem to be running at all when I pull the lever. Is this an electrical problem or do I have to replace the pump?

Also if anyone has suggestions for seat covers, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The console switch assembly - hazard and locking - is held together by for plastic clips. Remove the switch and press the assembly back together. If it won't stay together then use glue.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just used non-plastic tape. (I tried a plastic tape and it expanded in the heat, letting the pressure off of the buttons so they wouldn't work.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SES light came back on so I got a code read. The guy said the problem was the gas cap, that it was letting air into the system. The rubber seal around the cap is dry and cracked, so I'll probably need a new one. The windshield wiper pump problem was still bothering me until I came across this: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=891184. Everything is working just fine now, but as is discussed in the thread, you may as well just buy a new pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Further Issues

I'm having trouble with the rear bench seat. It isn't attached to the rest of the car. I've tried fitting it back in place, but it will never lock in. I've included some photos of what's there, but there might be pieces missing. There are little plastic covers that go on those metal things, but I'm missing 3 out of 4.

There's a loose wire under the seat. I have no idea where it goes or what it's for. Please let me know if you recognize it.

The trim below the doors on the passenger side of the car has started to come off. How do I replace the plastic brackets to reattach the trim piece?

All 3 of the air-conditioning vent assembly's are cracked and broken. I'd like to replace all 3; driver side, passenger side, and center. However, I can't find where to buy replacements and I don't know what trim pieces I need to remove to get them out.

Lastly, if anyone knows where I can get another one of those sliding sunroof covers I would appreciate it.

So many problems. So little knowledge.:cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bench seat is fixed, just needed an extra hand and a ton of force.
Replacement AC vents were found and installed, along with an auxiliary input jack.

The next set of problems have already arrived though.
1. Air Conditioning blows just as cold as it should, however the blower will only blow on a low setting, even when the display says its on its highest setting. This problem comes and goes. I cant seem to pick up any patterns.
2. Remote locking will sometimes unlock only the drivers side door, then fail to do anything else. Hitting the lock button then the unlock button twice seems to fix it. (Also, does anyone know if the 2003 325i had a horn indication when the vehicle is locked? Mine doesn't but I suspect that none of them do.)
3. Sunroof is just... screwed. I'm taking it to a repair shop because I'm certain a DIY repair job will just mess it up more.

So if anyone can help with 1 and 2 that'd be great.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Remote diagnosis is always difficult, but here are a couple of guesses.

1. Your blower is controlled by a device called a final stage unit (FSU). It is located in the evaporator case on the right side of the car. It looks like a miniature porcupine. I would check this first. See the Wiki for tutorials.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ET37-USA-01-2003-E46-BMW-325i&diagId=64_0820

2. The door lock problem could be several things, but I will make a wild guess and say your GM-5 module is getting weak. The GM-5 module is expensive from BMW, but some people have been successful in getting it repaired. Read about it here:
https://www.bmwgm5.com/GM5_Repair_Service.htm
Check operation of the remote on your spare key, to see if that makes any changes before pursuing the GM-5 module.

:drive:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks mate. I was in the car and the AC suddenly was blowing full blast again, so I'm assuming the FSU is definitely the problem, and not the battery. It seems like a fairly inexpensive part as well.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If it were my car, I would just replace the FSU. That is a fairly common problem. But I do not want to speak for you, or your financial situation. You may wish to make a complete diagnosis first. A genuine BMW FSU was around $120, last time I checked. There are also several other brands available, for less money. Please beware of low-quality parts (too cheap).

Replacement of the FSU is not difficult, for a DIY. But access is a bit tight, and you have to get in under the dashboard.

:drive:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The issue WAS the FSU. I didn't buy genuine BMW, but I did install it myself, and I can attest to how difficult it is. The hard work payed of though, and the AC hasn't acted up since. However, as always, another problem has reared its ugly head.

There is a clear and loud chirping/squeaking noise coming from behind the instrument cluster or somewhere in that vicinity. I only hear it when the fan for the AC or heating is on, and it will go away if I turn the fan all the way up. It is very loud. I'm guessing this is some type of fan, or possibly a belt of some kind.

This is a fairly specific problem, so my only hope is that someone here has experienced the same thing.

As always, thanks for all the help so far.

Edit: I should clarify that the noise is NOT an engine belt. It is far to quiet and isn't present on startup if the AC isn't on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also I'm not getting any power to the cigarette lighter in the front console. Where should I start looking to find the problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts