Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 X1. The rear hatch has come down myself and my wife on several occasions. It also goes up once in a while. Dealership says the button on the keyfob being accidently pushed. Sure. Last week the hatch went up while I was driving at 40 mph. Anyone experienced this? Any ideas. Dealership is adversarial, talked with them 5 days ago, no response.

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Search this forum for additional information on this topic - there are quite a few posts on it.

I experienced the exact same thing. The problem is definitely not with the key fob. (Mine was in a BMW key fob case, which prevented the buttons from inadvertently being pressed while in my pocket.)

The problem (which neither BMW or the dealers will admit) is with a faulty optical sensor (too sensitive).

To correct the problem, I had BMW disable the functionality (kick under the rear of the vehicle to open the tailgate.)

Ridiculous that BMW doesn't address this properly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2018 X1. The rear hatch has come down myself and my wife on several occasions. It also goes up once in a while. Dealership says the button on the keyfob being accidently pushed. Sure. Last week the hatch went up while I was driving at 40 mph. Anyone experienced this? Any ideas. Dealership is adversarial, talked with them 5 days ago, no response.

Thanks.
I have 2017 X1 and had nothing but problems with the "hands-free" tailgate. I crawled below and behind the bumper found the plug and disabled it and no problems since. I don't miss it a bit.
I mostly like the X1 it's my first BMW, but it will be my last, when the warranty is up I'm moving on. Back to a car with an oil dipstick or more likely an EV.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Thanks.
Your hatch opened while car was on the road doing 40mph?????????:yikes::yikes::yikes: Damn thing won't open for me when I just stop and hit the open button to let my wife grab something out of the back unless I put the shifter into park...which I don't always remember to do.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dealer disconnected bumper sensors on my vehicle about a year ago. No problems since
This feature is a waste of time and $$$ and frankly dangerous and unreliable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts