BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the Mr Clean Autodry car-wash system, so I decided to try the magic eraser wheel & tire. It's a box that contains 4 of these sponge-like things, each one is supposed to be multiple use. You get them wet then use them to clean your wheels.

Normally, I have a sponge mitt thing that I stick my hand in to and clean the wheels, then use a soft brush to fit inside the spokes on the 135M wheel.

Within the first few seconds of use, the darn sponge tore in half. Grr.

It was actually easier to manipulate between the spokes when it was torn in half.

After cleaning two wheels with it (one half on one wheel, one half on the other wheel), it was clearly all used up.... and I last cleaned my wheels 5 days ago, so they weren't that bad.

I used a new eraser for the other side of the car, and once again, it was used up. It did get the wheels nice and clean - I was able to get behind the spokes easily. Were the wheels cleaner than if I had cleaned them with my mitt? Probably not. Using the eraser got my hands all black with brake dust, something I can avoid with the mitt.

I may use the other two in the box, but I won't buy them again.

So.. overall: :thumbdwn:

·
2 pieces dry white toast
1,107 Posts

'nuff said

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
KrisL said:
I like the Mr Clean Autodry car-wash system, so I decided to try the magic eraser wheel & tire. It's a box that contains 4 of these sponge-like things, each one is supposed to be multiple use. You get them wet then use them to clean your wheels.

Normally, I have a sponge mitt thing that I stick my hand in to and clean the wheels, then use a soft brush to fit inside the spokes on the 135M wheel.

Within the first few seconds of use, the darn sponge tore in half. Grr.

It was actually easier to manipulate between the spokes when it was torn in half.

After cleaning two wheels with it (one half on one wheel, one half on the other wheel), it was clearly all used up.... and I last cleaned my wheels 5 days ago, so they weren't that bad.

I used a new eraser for the other side of the car, and once again, it was used up. It did get the wheels nice and clean - I was able to get behind the spokes easily. Were the wheels cleaner than if I had cleaned them with my mitt? Probably not. Using the eraser got my hands all black with brake dust, something I can avoid with the mitt.

I may use the other two in the box, but I won't buy them again.

So.. overall: :thumbdwn:
Front brakes are starting to wear, so there's quite a fair amount of dust atm building up - for me, making cleaning them a bear. I took some alloy wheel cleaner along with my typical "bottle-cleaner" brush to knock most of it off, leaving pretty much that crud that's tough to get to - then hit it with the Magic Eraser. Didn't go through one quarter of a sponge on all four wheels, so when used as a final-step cleaning tool - its much better!

Don't think I'd try it when the wheels have a bunch of dust buildup, but for final cleaning I'd give it a :thumbup: . BE CAREFUL AROUND THE PAINT! :nono:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts