Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
#butstuff2k16
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or so I hope.

I found a 1997 328i slicktop in VA. A day after I got home from school in STL, I drove down from NJ to pick it up. It isn't a perfect car, but it certainly is a clean body with an interesting history from its original owner. Now onto the pictures!

Right after I bought it. Filling up at the gas station to bring back to NJ. Forgive the IG photo.

Of course, like any E36, repairs had to be done! Sway bar swap, new thermostat and expansion tank. Also a look at how clean the underside is.

It didn't stay stock for long. Put on my Star Specs and my Hotchkis front sway bar already.

The old outgoing 318ti (for sale!) and my new 328i. Also my first BMW I drove, my parent's X5.

Follow this build on Instagram @ndrewchow and Youtube @MINIzguy.

·
#butstuff2k16
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I've done a lot since I've picked up the car. A lot of the cluster bulbs were burnt out on the OBC was missing lots of pixels, so I fixed all of that. The seat was stuck in a reclined position so I bought a new gear. And I also had a really funky locking problem but replacing the actuators and connecting one of the mechanisms that was loose fixed all of that.

Today I did the headliner. I went all out and use 3 cans of glue and some foam backed headliner fabric.

Next up is the clutch and control arms. I should be autocrossing it in GS soon enough.

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
So I've done a lot since I've picked up the car. A lot of the cluster bulbs were burnt out on the OBC was missing lots of pixels, so I fixed all of that. The seat was stuck in a reclined position so I bought a new gear. And I also had a really funky locking problem but replacing the actuators and connecting one of the mechanisms that was loose fixed all of that.

Today I did the headliner. I went all out and use 3 cans of glue and some foam backed headliner fabric.

Next up is the clutch and control arms. I should be autocrossing it in GS soon enough.
Nice!:thumbup:

The trick to making the headliner last is sanding off as much of the old glue as possible. Hope you were able to do that....

·
#butstuff2k16
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way ahead of you on that. Ruined a carpet vacuum attachment removing the darn sticky foam. I never want to do interior work again, but I gotta open up my driver's door panel again since I must have put something together wrong and there is a clunking from inside the door.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Looks good so far! Keep the posts coming!

·
#butstuff2k16
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm moving way faster than I usually do with cars.

That came in the mail today. I immediately booked an appointment with a new indy and scheduled a clutch job. I have an E53 X5 shift lever going in the car, so that should be an interesting SSK if it fits. They'll also be doing the passenger control arm ball joints and quoting me on AKG bushings installed.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,222 Posts
They'll also be doing the passenger control arm ball joints and quoting me on AKG bushings installed.
You aren't going to refresh both sides????

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,222 Posts
Ah! OK, understood. :thumbup: Carry on!

·
#butstuff2k16
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No update in a while so here goes one...

FCABs, control arms and clutch are done. Doing the RTABs now with limiters.

I learned that it will much easier to align the RTAB carrier without the rear spring in after fussing with it for 1 hour. I will finish the job up next week as my job will take me away all 4th of July weekend.

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Looks like a fun time! Was bummed I couldn't join you all (Tyler told me about it) but had to work part of the weekend.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,451 Posts
Now we need to have a little talk about your taste in music.... ;)

...And driving at V-max with one hand on the steering wheel... :yikes::nono:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts