BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can I get a quick overview (specific on where to use a liquid product and proper applicator):

Ex.

1) Spray car off

2) wash with dupunt raindnce with a cotton towel

3) dry with a cotton towel

4) wax in small sections with a cotton towel

5) buff with a cotton towel

·
Registered
115 Posts
Steps in order - <O:p></O:p>

<O:p</O:p
  • <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Wash - </st1:State></ST1:pThis will take the large chuncks of debris and dirt off of your car. It is recommended that you use a chenille/cotton mit or a sheepskin mitt.
  • Dry - This will allow for a spot free shine, dry with microfiber towels.
  • Clay - This will take the remainder of debris off of your car, the dirt and grime that do not come off after washing. You can check to see if your car needs to be clayed by putting your hand in a soft plastic bag and running it over parts of your car. If you do not feel ANY dirt and it runs smoothly you do not need to Clay.
  • Polish/Mild Polish - This will eliminate all swirling on your car that are actually microscopic scratches on clearcoat due to poor drying procedures. You need a polishing machine in order to do this such as the PC7424. This is only truly necessary if you have swirl marks on your car.
  • Clean - Cleaning will strip all excess product such as polish, left over wax, and/or clay from the car to prep it for waxing. You can apply by using a foam applicator pad or microfiber pads and using microfiber towels to help remove excess.
  • Wax/Sealant - Wax and/or Sealants should be used depending on the look you want. Sealants are usually used on darker cars and give a car a "watery" look. Waxing is usually preferred since it is all natural and will not harm the car and will provide a slick shine. Always use all natural carnauba wax. You can do this part by hand or with the PC7424. If doing it by hand use a foam applicator pad or microfiber pads and use an ultra fine microfiber towel to remove the wax.
I think that should be the gist of it. Of course this is only cleaning the exterior of the car. This doesn't take the interior into account. The wheels should be cleaned before washing the car. Remember to NEVER wax unless you do the washing, drying, claying, and cleaning processes first. If you do, you WILL create swirls in the car and damage the clearcoat. This process should take anywhere from 6-8 hours on a normal car, and anywhere from 8-10 hours on large cars. If you want more detailed instructions, I'll send you info. Oh, I forgot to add that if you plan to do this split up in 2 days instead of trying to tackle everything in one day, you should keep your car in a dust free, relatively clean place overnight. It should not be driven and ideally kept inside a garage until you can finish the entire job.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
car said:
can I get a quick overview (specific on where to use a liquid product and proper applicator):l
Ok there are about 5 threads on the first page alone that cover this. Just start reading the detailing forums here - go through about 2 pages worth of threads and you'll have infinite amounts of knowledge imparted upon you. Then go to www.autopia.com and download their free e-book on detailing. They tend to promote products that they sell, so read it with a grain of salt (and a margarita if you have one).

Here's a link to one of the latest threads:
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96004

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Ok there are about 5 threads on the first page alone that cover this. Just start reading the detailing forums here - go through about 2 pages worth of threads and you'll have infinite amounts of knowledge imparted upon you. Then go to www.autopia.com and download their free e-book on detailing. They tend to promote products that they sell, so read it with a grain of salt (and a margarita if you have one).

OMGWTF.... The Ice Man has seen the light :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbup: :D

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
operknockity said:
OMGWTF.... The Ice Man has seen the light :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbup: :D
Hahahaha Oper, I've been honestly amazed reading your posts as of late. It's almost as if you've memorized every thread out there. I can only wish to achieve the same level of oneness with the fest that you have! :rofl: :thumbup: :angel:

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Hahahaha Oper, I've been honestly amazed reading your posts as of late. It's almost as if you've memorized every thread out there. I can only wish to achieve the same level of oneness with the fest that you have! :rofl: :thumbup: :angel:
Actually, my memory is not that good anymore.... Old age takes it's toll.

Aty, one the other hand :eek: :yikes: :p

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
operknockity said:
Actually, my memory is not that good anymore.... Old age takes it's toll.

Aty, one the other hand :eek: :yikes: :p
Haven't seen Aty around here lately - maybe since the move? You're not an Austinite are ya?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
icemanjs4 said:

Wow, how far you've come, iceman ! I remember your "3 months until my car arrives" posts.....now you've been sucked into the Dark Side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.