Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just registered, and this is my first post. I've been reading the boards for a few months now, and everyone's been great!! I've learned tons about my dream car.

I'm planning to purchase a '03 330Ci and would like to take delvery in February. Assuming that the dealer has allocation available, when is the latest I can contact the dealer to put down a deposit with my specs and still make a February deilvery? (I understand that if I wait too long, the dealer(s) may not have any dates left for February, but for simplicity, let's assume that that isn't a factor.)

I went to one dealership and asked a similar question. He said that he won't know what their allocation for Feb delivery is until early November. Is that true - or do they know allocation eairlier in advance?

I appreciate you responses! I'm asking because I'd like to wait 'til just before the dealer has to submit a general spec for a car that isn't pre-spec'ed. Hopefully, this may give me an edge in negotiating the price.

If I've got it all wrong, please let me know. Thanks,
duke330ci

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
That sounds about right.

Let's say in early Nov they get their Dec or Jan production, then the car needs another month or two to be built and arrive at your dealer. and it takes longer to go to the West Coast than the East Coast.

The key is when your ordered car is going to be produced. For example: on my car production started on Sept 4th and will continue until the 13th... If I am lucky it will be here (DC) late October. Up until late August I could have made changes to the car... so in theory I could have been a new customer and ordered it in late August. Of course it is most likely that the dealer would have had other orders for the same type of car, so another customer would have had that slot by late August.

60 days ABSOLUTE Minimum if you are East Coast and very lucky
90 days normal time frame

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when do dealers get their next month's allocation?

When will dealers have info on allocations for December production? Sometime in November, right? Is it typically early in the month before production begins?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I ordered my car, had a production slot changed, and received it in about 45 days. Maybe 40 days. Certainly less than 50 days. That included truck time from the east coast to Chicago (which only took a day and a half - must have been a truck full of cars for Chicago area dealers). From other people's reports, it sounds like I got lucky, but I think you just never know.

I also don't think you can ever be certain. My car was finished before the scheduled build date by about a week if I remember correctly, so even if you had a dealer willing to give you a specific build slot, the factory might get ahead of schedule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts