BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The knights who say Ni!
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just rereading portions of my M Roadster's manuals and the sections on towing caught my attention. I want to make sure that I completely understand the proper procedures before I ever (heaven help me) actually need to have the vehicle towed. The "Z4 Driver's Reference Guide" clearly states that the screw-in tow hook is never to be used for loading or tieing down the vehicle. This is news to me, since the dealer went through the toolkit and said something about it "being for towing". Was this prohibition also true for the Z3? FWIW, I once had my Z3 towed and the hook screwed into the bumber was precisely how they hoisted the car onto the flatbed. Was this wrong and was I just lucky that nothing got damaged?

Back to the Z4 manual, it states that "conventional T hooks" are to be used for hoisting the vehicle and fit into slots underneath the plastic jack pads. So my questions:
  • What are "conventional T hooks" and are they something that all tow operators carry? Personally, in all my decades of driving, this is the first I have heard of them.
  • I have not looked closely at the jackpads since reading the manual. What is the procedure and/or tools needed to remove them in order to reveal these mysterious T hook slots?
Thanks for any enlightenment on how to properly tow my Z4. The last thing I want is to damage the vehicle as it is being taken in for repair.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
DaveZ said:
I was just rereading portions of my M Roadster's manuals and the sections on towing caught my attention. I want to make sure that I completely understand the proper procedures before I ever (heaven help me) actually need to have the vehicle towed. The "Z4 Driver's Reference Guide" clearly states that the screw-in tow hook is never to be used for loading or tieing down the vehicle. This is news to me, since the dealer went through the toolkit and said something about it "being for towing". Was this prohibition also true for the Z3? FWIW, I once had my Z3 towed and the hook screwed into the bumber was precisely how they hoisted the car onto the flatbed. Was this wrong and was I just lucky that nothing got damaged?

Back to the Z4 manual, it states that "conventional T hooks" are to be used for hoisting the vehicle and fit into slots underneath the plastic jack pads. So my questions:
  • What are "conventional T hooks" and are they something that all tow operators carry? Personally, in all my decades of driving, this is the first I have heard of them.
  • I have not looked closely at the jackpads since reading the manual. What is the procedure and/or tools needed to remove them in order to reveal these mysterious T hook slots?
Thanks for any enlightenment on how to properly tow my Z4. The last thing I want is to damage the vehicle as it is being taken in for repair.
On my to do list but haven't finished yet. I took my car as is basically. One of the reasons was to modify the jack pads so they can easily be removed which gets you access to the T hook slots.
Since the Z4 has a lot of aluminum suspension parts, BMW says not to tie down via that.
You can buy the T hooks from AW. They have a walk in store. Off the Berlin Turnpike by Home Depot. I talked with three different tow groups in the Berlin Turnpike area including AW.
None knew of the BMW having T hook capability.

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118275&highlight=hook

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150532&highlight=jack+pads

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
DaveZ said:
Supposedly BMW has a towing manual. Ask your dealer to print out the section that applies to your car, since you have concerns about potential damage.

Attachments

·
They call 'em rigs here
859 Posts
"Tow Fittings: Do not use the threaded tow fitting, found in the tool tray, for towing or pulling the vehicle onto a flatbed."
Which begs the question; What would you use it for?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
MysticBlue said:
"Tow Fittings: Do not use the threaded tow fitting, found in the tool tray, for towing or pulling the vehicle onto a flatbed."
Moving it a short distance on a flat paved road.

·
The knights who say Ni!
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron Stygar said:
On my to do list but haven't finished yet. I took my car as is basically. One of the reasons was to modify the jack pads so they can easily be removed which gets you access to the T hook slots.
Since the Z4 has a lot of aluminum suspension parts, BMW says not to tie down via that.
You can buy the T hooks from AW. They have a walk in store. Off the Berlin Turnpike by Home Depot. I talked with three different tow groups in the Berlin Turnpike area including AW.
None knew of the BMW having T hook capability.

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118275&highlight=hook

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150532&highlight=jack+pads
Thanks Ron for the great links, info, and pointers. It looks like I am 5 miles from AW, so I will take a run up there today or tomorrow and pickup a set of 4 hooks. The only question then becomes where the hell to store them in the roadster! It's bad enough the owner's manual doesn't fit into the glove box- in fact nothing does :( Obviously with the coupe, you have a little more storage than I do....

I'm sometimes a little slow on these repair tips and tricks. I want to make sure that I completely understand yours and ChuckD's M3 post on removing the pads. It looks like all I need to do is install a small screw into the plastic pin so that the screwhead can be easily grabbed and the pin yanked? I assume then that the pin just pulls out with a certain amount of force and can then be reinstalled?

Ron Stygar said:
Supposedly BMW has a towing manual. Ask your dealer to print out the section that applies to your car, since you have concerns about potential damage.
I've never heard of a towing manual before, but I will check it out with the dealer. Looking at the diagram and thinking about the geometry a bit, I am still puzzled. How does the tow operator hoist the car onto the flatbed without the chains interfering with the front wheels, which are immediately in front of the t-hooks? I assume the operator has to use some kind of a Y cable?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
DaveZ said:
I'm sometimes a little slow on these repair tips and tricks. I want to make sure that I completely understand yours and ChuckD's M3 post on removing the pads. It looks like all I need to do is install a small screw into the plastic pin so that the screwhead can be easily grabbed and the pin yanked? I assume then that the pin just pulls out with a certain amount of force and can then be reinstalled?

I've never heard of a towing manual before, but I will check it out with the dealer. Looking at the diagram and thinking about the geometry a bit, I am still puzzled. How does the tow operator hoist the car onto the flatbed without the chains interfering with the front wheels, which are immediately in front of the t-hooks? I assume the operator has to use some kind of a Y cable?
Yes to both.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MysticBlue said:
Dragging the car out of the ditch after you crash?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.