BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6,198 Posts
Use the relative figures that you pay on your real estate taxes. For example , if you own a $300k house and you pay $3000, then figure about 1% of your car's market value.
They are doing away with the car tax in Georgia next year and I'm very happy about it.

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
I think I paid about $1,500 last year.

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
Use the relative figures that you pay on your real estate taxes. For example , if you own a $300k house and you pay $3000, then figure about 1% of your car's market value.
They are doing away with the car tax in Georgia next year and I'm very happy about it.
Not the way it works in VA.

· Registered
7,119 Posts
In Massachusetts, the auto excise tax is $25 per thousand.

Anyone know exactly what automotive personal property tax is for? I alway thought that the gas tax and toll pays for the road repair and constructions. I am sure its just another way for the goverment to dig into our pockets.

· Sejanus
5,838 Posts
I live in Maryland, where I pay city, county, state, and real property taxes...mercifully, no personal property tax. I always thought that personal property tax in Virginia is a percentage based on FMV.

· Registered
6,198 Posts

· Sejanus
5,838 Posts
In Massachusetts, the auto excise tax is $25 per thousand.

Anyone know exactly what automotive personal property tax is for? I alway thought that the gas tax and toll pays for the road repair and constructions. I am sure its just another way for the goverment to dig into our pockets.
Another reason why Massachusetts is often referred to as Tax-achusetts!

· Registered
7,119 Posts
Another reason why Massachusetts is often referred to as Tax-achusetts!
It's from all those years of a democrat controlled government. Every once a while, when spending and debt get out of control, we vote in a Republican governor to balance the finance. Mitt Romney was one of those governors. Mitt actually did a very good job financially considering the mess he inherited.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nitebreed,

Go to your county's tax commissioner's website and find out the tax rate.

Here's the rate for Faifax county:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/cartax_motorvehicles.htm
I wonder how they "assess" the car. Cant be the blue book cause that would be close to 3k a year.. I think half that would be about right. Thinking along the lines of what Needsdecaf said 1500.00. Thanks for the input.

· Registered
6,198 Posts
I wonder how they "assess" the car. Cant be the blue book cause that would be close to 3k a year.. I think half that would be about right. Thinking along the lines of what Needsdecaf said 1500.00. Thanks for the input.
That's exactly why I said that the car tax is done like the real estate tax. The assessed value is not the market value. The tax assessor takes the market value of the property and assesses the value based on the tax millage rate in the county. They then place a 4.57% tax on the assessed value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.