BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning and hello! I am new to this forum and definitely new to the world of BMW, looking for advice!

I am looking at potentially purchasing a used 2010 535i GT... low milage only 36000 or so... wanted to take a piece of europe back with me! Price is 30999.. wondering if this is a good deal, and what options for extended warranty are out there.. perhaps from the dealer. I know for a fact that the headliner for the sunroof is replaced new, other than that wondering if the low mileage for the vehicle is a blessing or a curse... It really looks like a great car, just wondering if there were any huge issues from that year or any other that I should be concerned about.. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here is a link to the car

http://torpedomilitarysales.com/index.php?page=details&id=79_a__a2_

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just from what I can see, it is not heavily optioned - at all. It doesn't have luxury seating with ventilation, it doesn't have 4-zone climate control or luxury rear seating. It's lacking rear entertainment, premium audio, sports trim line, etc. If it is lacking those options, I am sure that it is also lacking dynamic handling and integrated active steering.

So, overall, it's a very base 535GT. I'm not sure that $31k is a good price. As in, $31k is too much for that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!

Ok... Thanks! test drive today... It had an issue with the tpms and the dsc said it had an issue as well... Dealer said it would all be fixed before purchase... Two schools of thought. One is if this junk is wrong, what's next to break.... The other is that at least things are being replaced now and the storm is hopefully over. Called bmw of El Paso, said after an inspection it would be about 4500 to get an extended warranty to 7yrs./100000k. Not sure if it's worth it at this point... But for what it's worth I absolutely love the car and it's the most comfortable thing I have ever driven :). Perhaps if I could get him down to 28000 :) thanks again for the advice. :):)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I paid $36,000 Cdn. for my 2011 with about the same mileage and extended warranty until Nov. 2016 or 100,000 miles.
Who pays to ship it back Stateside? Maybe you could work that into the deal.

It's a beautiful color combo and a great looking car.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Each TPMS has a battery in it, and those will die eventually. How you drive and the conditions can affect how long they last. It could also be the receiver. I wouldn't let that keep me from buying the car as long as it worked before delivery. The service computer can tell which one, but the car info will stop displaying any info even when only one sensor is bad and issue the failure warning. Personally, I'd prefer it reported those TPMS it can read, and let you know which one(s) it can't.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Definitely not a good deal. I am pretty sure that my car is only worth $35k +/- retail and it is a 2010 550GT with most options and only 28k miles! And it is still under factory warranty through July '15 (in service was not until Jul '11)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@silvershadow: The shipping to the states is free-is (will not have to pay duty or customs, a few hundred in port handling costs is all) All i have to do is drive it to frankfurt
@jadnashuanh: It says the TPMS system itself is malfunctioning, and with the DSC error coming up as well, i can't help but think it may be a battery charge issue, as I heard this is common in this model, The sunroof is also broke, the headlining is off the rails and does not retract when you put the roof back, it just drops down into the back seat. All of these things the dealer has promised they will fix and they will put on the Purchase Order so if the same issue comes up within the next year in the states, i can call them and they will pay for it.
@rougeshot: I hear you for sure, I called my bank USAA yesterday and they value the car for financing purposes to be around 28500. They will finance up to 33, but thats not the point... they also give extended warranties, which plus or minus equal out to 1000 dollars per 12 months or 12000 miles and I can get it up to 4 years... BLUF I trust USAA a bunch more than other companies, as I have been a member for over 10 years.... I would have to pay tax too, which in New mexico I believe is 3%, so about another 900 bucks.

If i can talk these guys down to 28-29 from 30900 this would help.. Is this too low on the negotiating table? I don't want to low ball, this is a luxury vehicle we are talking about here.. I absolutely love the car, but my heartache with it being 5 years old is the only hurtle i have to get through... oh and the other one is my 2 kids will wreck havoc on the white seats :) Thanks again and look forward to hearing more, maybe on some experiences or if i should just wait till I get to the states to find one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way I can look up the in service date online? ... thats a great point and maybe i could be in luck with the original warranty if it sat for a while... :)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
What I would add to this conversation is that the car does have some things you will appreciate in terms of Navigation, multi zone HVAC and Bluetooth. Comfort Access, cameras, DHP, IAS and multi contour seat are additional packages available on the GT that really up the game in terms of the BMW experience. But, you can evaluate how much of that experience you can afford.

One thing I would note is that you are looking at one of the early model years and there are kinks that have been worked out. You may not be happy with the Navi as that version had many complaints. Some searching here of older posts will paint the picture…so you know what you are getting into. My impression is the 535 did a little better as the car initially was only a 550. YMMV

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ErnestHouse: I hear you... you are definitely right... looking in the GT there are some things that really up the game... its a 7 series inside with a 5 series hatchback outside.... didn't see too many things that would tick me off about the navi of course I don't have too much basis for comparison... it has PDC but no cameras... no big deal for me... as long as i can hear when I'm about to hit something I really don't need to see it on a screen when I hit it!! :).. The car is nice.. its comfortable and it fits my family of 4 and a dog without a second thought and has the BMW *bling* sound when I start the engine...... I drove around an 2014 X1 for a few days that I could have bought for 30k, but with everyone in it i was cramped at the steering wheel. Not a way to get that "BMW experience".

BLUF: This is truly a case of someone (myself) looking for a champagne and caviar diet on a beer and hot dog budget... sure for 30k I can get a nicely equipped brand new vehicle (the charger R/T I have now cost me that brand new in 2011) but like all nice things, you are paying for the experience, the brand, the bells and whistles.... and with a GT you get the utility also. With starting prices new at 57000 and up, no way I could afford to get into one of these things new..

I am more than willing to leave the new hot dogs on the shelf for some leftover caviar from someone elses party... I just gotta make sure that it doesn't give me food poisoning :) and that if I do get food poisoning i've got insurance to pay the doc to fix me :)

Thanks so much for you help everyone and I continue to be a sponge to your thoughts and opinions on the matter :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I am struggling why you would look to buy this car overseas and immediately ship it back UNLESS if was a great deal....which it isn't. Shipping may be free but it isn't - it is just baked into the price you are paying.

Wait til you get back to the states and then shop for a car.

Not to mention, you are considering buying a car that has issues not yet addressed. At least one of those issues is a dealer item (sunshade replacement) and is several thousand $$. I cant believe this used car dealer is going to pony up for the fix.

walk away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@rougeshot.. Thank you for the candid response.. it is surely much appreciated and speaks to the apprehensions I have... is it safe to say that if they fix the issues now the storm is over and everything else is good... or will something else fail too??.. but it is a 2010 and I am rolling the dice...

I happen to be stationed in Germany now in the military and head back to the states in the next month or so.. would have to pay 2500+ to ship my charger back with me.... BMW program for the military ships to the states for free so its really not baked into the "USED" price... (few hundred in port handling charges)... dealer offered me 21000 in trade for my charger towards a new vehicle... would be less if i didn't buy a vehicle..

all of this is moot if the GT is on the down slope... which it very well may be given the issues.. The dealer said the previous owner traded it in for a new Mercedes. to fit his growing family.. perhaps it was a dump knowing problems were happening.....

sunshade is expensive yes... and no guarantees it may break again, i read in these forums there are other people with the same issue. however the dealer said they will place in the purchase order the problems that I saw that were remedied and will guarantee them.. on paper... i am sure when it comes down to brass tacks it may be another story should something break

BLUF.. again.... I can rationalize however I want to turn this into a DEAL.... but it really isn't at this point.. you are right... If you could how much would you pay... owning one yourself there must be a light at the end of this tunnel?

I know these cars aren't a dime a dozen in the states... it was a relatively rare find I was hoping to capitalize on.. bring a piece of Europe back with me.. it drove great... but then they always do until you pay for them right? :) If... and i do mean a big IF i pulled the trigger on this one.. i would have to get him down to about 28500.. 29 max.. guarantee on the sunshade, DPC and TPMS, and put another 2000 into 2 yrs 24000 mile extended warranty..

... decisions decisions... well at least its the holiday weekend and everything is closed here.. :) I've got time.. Thanks again for your advice and barring a complete and utter turnaround on the status of this vehicle or a significant drop in price... its a walk..... but it sure looks good :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
This company is not a BMW dealer are they? They look like a used car lot that specializes in sales/exports for US military.

So how does BMW pay this shipping for a used car that is being sold to you by a 3rd party? They don't....I suspect that program only exists if you buy a new BMW from a dealer and participate in the military version of Euro delivery - drive it for a while in Europe and then BMW ships it back "used"....

Even if the used car dealer claims to fix the car, if they don't get it right how are you going to go after them if they are in Europe and you and the car are in the US???

The GT is far from rare. It was not popular in the US so while there are not many, it is far from rare. in fact, despite the relative few, they are typically a bargain b/c there is even less of a used market for them then there was a new market!!

a quick check on cars.com shows quite a few 535GTs in the $29-33k asking price range for '10-'12s.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@rougeshot..

nuff said... cars.com has em pegged same or lower without the hassle of getting it to the states...

perhaps its time to eat the peverbial 1K on the charger, trade it in and look when I'm in the states...

as this is the first forum i have ever posted on... its great to know that i can get an honest opinion... ones that can prevent a huge mistake from happening!!

thanks again and we will try again once stateside... a truly remarkable vehicle with great utility... I'm sure on will pop of that I can work with... :):):)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If it feels right for you and your family, and it seems to fit your "space needs, then go for it. If are happy with the price see if you can dicker to see if you can feel even better. If you do buy it, be sure to post pictures. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Is this a USA spec'ed vehicle? Unless you are a diplomat, it's illegal to bring it into the states. Changing the bits to make it a USA spec'ed vehicle will cost a major hunk of change. While you can ship it here, it will not pass through customs without proving it meets USA specs - this includes both lighting, bumpers, and engine controls. Now, if it was sold to say a US military or contractor as a USA vehicle, not a big issue unless it was modified by the previous owner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@jadnashuanh: its a US spec vehicle... one that another soldier had over here.. drove it for some time and traded it in... getting it to the states is pretty easy, as any BMW bought by a military member in germany qualifies for free (ish) shipping to the states.. i would drive it an hour to frankfurt.. they would ship to houston and i would make an 11 hr drive to NM.... not too terrible, but as roughshot said... it needs to be a better deal than what I could find in the states.. and looking at CARS.com.. there are a few that can top it... Yes it is low miles, but there are some nagging issues that the dealer said will be fixed...

need to see where the limbo bar stops with this dealer... they are a Mercedes benz dealer exclusive to military that also sells the used trade ins people give.... they have an in house shop that handles the repairs... so yup its not as reputable as a true BMW dealer...

The dealer said they will contact me on tuesday with a status... but right now unless they come down in price its no bueno... too much risk vs reward, especially since I've only got a few weeks with it here in germany before I drop it off.. will keep posted... good group of people and thanks as always for the assistance!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I think it boils down to this:

1) If you ship the charger home, you have $28,500 ($31,000 - $2,500) to spend on stateside 5 GT
2) If you buy this car, you spend $31,000 and can get the 5 GT in Germany

If you cannot buy an equivalent 5 GT stateside for $28,500, you will spend more than you would have if you bought the car in Germany for the same or lesser car. The only upside is the possibility of more selection but if you are happy with the Germany car, it's moot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks ernesthouse.. I think I will not ship the charger either way. I was offered 21000 for trade if I bought a vehicle, 20000 if I dont. I have already shipped my other car on military orders so we will have it when I hit stateside. (Volvo xc90) my hope was that if this car it's as good as I would hope it will replace the Volvo and become the primary family hauler:):). If I could not get him down after trade in I'm looking at having to pay 30000 with a two year Warranty. In the higher ballpark of what I've seen on cars.com. There were also some ones on there for 26000 Or so... But I gotta believe they are that low price for a reason compared to others (some of them had trashed looking interiors, etc.). I still think I've got wiggle room so we will see where I can get email town . I understand the dealer has to get their cut too. Not too sure what they have the previous owner in trade but I gotta believe it's in the neighborhood of 27k, 26 lowest. If I can squeeze them to 28 it could work for me... They can make up the profit on my charger.... It's in immaculate condition and There are always Americans wanting to buy fast American cars to take on the autobahn in Germany:) we will see after the holiday what got fixed. They have also offered to get a German tuv on it which is the stringent vehicle inspection here. We will see what the status is after the holiday. Thanks for the advice!! Loving the conversation:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts