BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So , after about 10 years of thinking about installing gauges ... I finally came up with a decision on which gauges to go with out of so many to choose from .

So as the title states ,, I purchased Prosport premium gauges . I'm not completely done but I have two gauges up and running .. The voltage and coolant temperature gauges are hooked up and working ... The oil pressure gauge is a job in itself ..

They are temporary wired as I'm still working on making a finish harness with connectors and stuff . I am also ,.since pulling wires into the cab .. I'm setting up power for the future . To have constant power and ground under the dash just incase I need It separate from the fuse boxes ... Like a 12v to 110 converter to power up my laptop for example or any 110 device ..

The reason I went with pro sport is because ,, first , they match the gauges on the cluster . Black with a silver ring around the gauges ..

Second ,,,I like that the gauge lights are white during the day , and turn amber at night , just like our gauges on the cluster do . So they match the factory gauges as far as Looks and function ..

Third thing is that these gauges have bells and whistles . To alert you with a beeping sound and the gauge flashing with settings you can adjust the warning parameters. I really like this feature .. Because you don't have to be looking at the gauges .. The audio beeping and visual flashing signals ,,, will catch your attention.

4th ,,,what I like is that I only have to wire connections to one gauge , which is the voltage meter . Then the rest can be daisy chained . Which makes is nice only to having to power up one gauge

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=crlO_SF2x8A

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCuRMywnh5s

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
First thing to work out was , location . There is not many spots where gauges fit or look pleasing to the eye . the center council in front of the shifter seems to be a preferred spot as older bimmers are located .. But in my opinion installing gauges there didn't look like they belonged . And it would make it kinda of a clutter in front of the shifter . Plus loosing the ash try , and the gauges would be in front of the DTC and parking sensor buttons . So as Ideal as that spot seemed , they just didnt look right to me in that location ...

So I ended up placing the 3 gauges on the lower dash , 7cm below the light switch . Actually they look really good in that location in my opinion .. Their down low, out of sight and out of the way ... Also they are straight in line with the wiring path and close to the firewall very close to the wire entry coming into the cab thru the big grommet in the fire wall ..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Location of the gauges are determined.. So the next necessary thing needed for the gauges to sort out was :

1) Ground
2) Constant 12 V power
3) 12V accessory power
4) 12V when lights are turned on and parking lights ..

1) Main ground source is from the ground lug at the strut tower .
2) Constant 12 volt power source is from the jump terminal .
3) Accessory 12 volt source is from the lighter socket passenger foot well .
4)12 volt lights source is from the driver side light eye brow ..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I have the location and power sources figured out . Next was how to get wires into the cab .

Once you remove the drivers cabin filter and tray , down low on the fire wall there is a big rubber grommet . Perfect for fishing wires thru .
So I pulled the ground wire ,constant 12 V wire ,the temperature sensor and oil pressure sensor wires and the parking lights 12v wire . Pretty easy to do .

Attachments

·
Under the lift arms
12,955 Posts
hf... are you cutting the top hose yet?

honestly i was waiting for you to cut it.. so i know the MM of the hose b4 i order mine

·
Registered
995 Posts

honestly i was waiting for you to cut it.. so i know the MM of the hose b4 i order mine
If my guess is right, H F will be using lower hose quick connect on the upper hose instead of cutting and installing aftermarket sensor.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Under the lift arms
12,955 Posts
you want your probe to be in the middle of the upper hose,

This is the water coming from the engine, and will be a indication of engine coolant temp

The lower hose is after the system, (but i guess it shouldnt matter much)

·
Registered
995 Posts
you want your probe to be in the middle of the upper hose,

This is the water coming from the engine, and will be a indication of engine coolant temp

The lower hose is after the system, (but i guess it shouldnt matter much)
The lower hose quick connect part is being moved onto upper hose where it will meet the water pump outlet.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
nice !!!! love the gauges....

I was actually thinking of setting up a tablet and use torque app or carly for easy installation, but this looks more authentic....
Yes I agree they do look more authentic . We old timers like real gauges . I really like these gauges ,, they are very nice ..

I've also tossed the idea of a tablet and app . But I felt no matter where you install the tablet , to me it looks out of place ...

I think I've installed mine in a good location , down low out of the way and out of site , and they look like they belong there ,

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

38 mm is the magic number .. Its the size of the factory quick connect port (not the lip) that accepts the hose . I measured the factory port . Ordered the adapter cut the hose and it fit perfect ...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If my guess is right, H F will be using lower hose quick connect on the upper hose instead of cutting and installing aftermarket sensor.

The lower hose quick connect part is being moved onto upper hose where it will meet the water pump outlet.

Yes , you are correct and actually the lower connector worked on the upper hose , and I was all in, and set up to go that route . That was a brilliant idea you came up with .. But ,, I hit a brick wall and ended up not going that route as much as I wanted to . Because of the differences in temperature /Ohm characteristics between the BMW temp sensor and the Prosport proprietary temperature sensor . I did the boiling water test with both sensors and the ohm readings were too far apart . Which means inaccuracy in gauge readings . And I couldn't find BMW's temperature sensors unloaded ohm resistance chart , or any information on that subject . So I asked my buddy who is A BMW tech . He couldn't find anything either . That's when I threw in the towel ...

So ,, for the sake of accuracy ,, as much as I didn't want to , I installed a adapter with the Prosport proprietary sensor . And actually it's not as ugly or as ricy as I thought it was going to look .

I had the upper hose with the lower connector ready to install , but the sensor threw in a monkey wrench . It woulda looked really nice , as if it came right out of the factory that way . I was really bummed that I had abort it ...

Attachments

·
Under the lift arms
12,955 Posts
. And actually it's not as ugly or as ricy as I thought it was going to look .
hell yeah.. thats going to look good.. especially if you do a nice tight wire tuck

Looking forward to the end result...

thanks for the info.. 38mm Was the number i was looking for

·
Registered
995 Posts
Well, lets look at it this way; It's not going to be rice because it's a fully functional setup that has a lot of importance in racing/canyon carving and it will add some cool aftermarket look to the engine bay, given that you do a neat job. And knowing how you do things on your 5er, it's going to look bad a$$ for sure.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Once I had pulled wires into the cab , had to make the connections . I really don't like splice connectors or cutting wires . I did my whole install without cutting any factory wires or using connectors .

The first was connection was into the accessory power . I used the lighter socket in the passenger foot well .. Soldered the wire onto the hot green wire connector prong ...

Second connection was connecting into the parking lights connector plug . This connection is what makes the amber lighting to turn on in the gauges in sequence with the cluster lighting at night .. Or any time the parking lights are turned on ..

Connections came out really good . They look clean and much nicer than using splice connectors in my opinion ...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, lets look at it this way; It's not going to be rice because it's a fully functional setup that has a lot of importance in racing/canyon carving and it will add some cool aftermarket look to the engine bay, given that you do a neat job. And knowing how you do things on your 5er, it's going to look bad a$$ for sure.

You're absolutely right , it serves a damn good purpose ..

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Next ,, prepping up the coolant sensor wiring and installing the hose adapter ..

I didn't like the wire connectors that came with the coolant sensor , so I cut it off , and installed one more to my liking ..

The adapter I installed it as close as I could to the factory sensor . Pretty much bumped the quick connect port with the adapter . Came out 6 inches separation between the factory sensor and Prosports sensor . So engine coolant temperature readings between the two should be very close ..

I didn't like the typical hose clamps that came with the adapter so I installed some genuine BMW metric hose clamps . In my opinion they look much nicer and gives it a more refined appearance ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts