BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:)I purchased a 2011 335d today. He is Rudolph, named after a famous German inventor. Black sapphire/Oyster&black/dark burl, PP, CWP, Heated steering wheel, ipod/USB, Sat. Radio. Thanks to all of you and especially Flyingman, for recommending I start negotiating with USAA pricing. I won't go into details but suffice it to say I am very, very pleased with the deal. They even allowed me a very generous trade on my 2008 VW R32 despite the soft market for this particular car. Car is being transported in a covered trailer from MA to MD. Will pick it up either Monday or Tuesday depending on the weather. Forecast is for some snow early next week. It does not have the SP hence it will have all season tires but I want to be able to closely check it out before driving it home when the weather is decent otherwise I'll do it indoors if necessary. Again, I want to thank everyone on this forum for all your suggestions and guidance. I ended up buying this car for only a few thousand $ more than a similarly equipped 09 model. With the $3500 EcoCredit I don't see how BMW made much on my deal. Even if they did, I am quite pleased. I look forward to learning a lot from all you experienced diesel drivers in the coming months and years. This is a great forum and a great bunch of guys and gals(?). Happy Motoring!:thumbup:

·
diesel evangelist
2,326 Posts
Congrats! Please share photos when you have a chance. Is this your first diesel? Once you've tried it you'll never go back! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats! Please share photos when you have a chance. Is this your first diesel? Once you've tried it you'll never go back! :thumbup:
Yes, first diesel other than a D7 bulldozer that I drove about 200 feet one summer working on a crew laying out a golf course in SC. Knocked down a couple of 80 foot pine trees like they were toothpicks. I will post pics as soon as I drive him home.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
You are most welcome, and welcome to the club!:thumbup:

I think it was someone else that suggested USAA Buyers Service. I did post about them back in 2009 when I was buying mine.

USAA could not help me with a better deal at that time.

When the opportunity is right I'm going for the X535D!:banana:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad you re-looked at new vs CPO. I came to the same conclusion back in June after I crunched the numbers. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are most welcome, and welcome to the club!:thumbup:

I think it was someone else that suggested USAA Buyers Service. I did post about them back in 2009 when I was buying mine.

USAA could not help me with a better deal at that time.

When the opportunity is right I'm going for the X535D!:banana:
You are correct, it was kullenberg who suggested USAA pricing. Thanks, kullenberg!!. Beech Mtn is one of my favorite places in NC.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Congrats! Now that you're in the club, we have to warn you about a certain Fester who hates diesels with a passion. :angel: :rofl:

·
USAF RET.
21 Posts
You're quite welcome! I have a house for sale on Beech!!!!!!!! Even has a heated garage for your new baby. On the subject of all season tires: I've had very good luck with Nokian WR's, which are winter rated, yet give great mileage. Don't know if they are in BMW sizes, but they do make a run flat.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're quite welcome! I have a house for sale on Beech!!!!!!!! Even has a heated garage for your new baby. On the subject of all season tires: I've had very good luck with Nokian WR's, which are winter rated, yet give great mileage. Don't know if they are in BMW sizes, but they do make a run flat.

Cheers
My wife and I both thought we would end up in NC but now we have grandchildren and they are in PA, so I think we will be staying in the area. We still miss NC and have relatives in both NC and SC. I actually don't anticipate having to drive in real winter conditions as they tend to close my workplace when the weather really gets bad. Also, the wife has an AWD SUV that we use when necessary.

·
Human
277 Posts
Congrats! You will enjoy your D!

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
Congrats! Now that you're in the club, we have to warn you about a certain Fester who hates diesels with a passion. :angel: :rofl:
Uncle Fester?:dunno:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Uncle Fester?:dunno:
Is he an active participant in this forum?:thumbdwn:
I would hope not as the name of the forum is "owners and enthusiasts".:mad:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congrats, rmorin49! Sounds like a beauty! You'll really enjoy it, I'm sure.

As well, thank you for your previous service to your country!

Regards
D

·
Registered
971 Posts
Congrats and welcome - I figured you'd end up going new. Is the tax credit still good?

I'll be curious what your impressions are vs. your R32 (daily driver) as well as Z4 experiences.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congrats on the "D". Looking forward to your comments on it and suspect you will find the torque amazing. I'm constantly amused at how quickly mine accelerates without exceeding 3k rpm!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome, Rmorin! I was a diesel-newbie too about a year ago when I took the plunge...
One thing; these oil-burners are kind of addictive-- I am thinking I will never buy another
(new) gasoline powered vehicle, except for motorcycles where I've got (basically) no choice there!

Only "sort of" a negative are the astronomical diesel prices; in my area they consistently run about 15-20 cents
above Premium gas. But then again-- we get excellent mileage in these cars and amazing power/torque.
Can't blame the car for the geo-politics of fuel prices, eh? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts