BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This job pretty much took me to the woodshed trying to get these out. I didn't want to pull the axle to get access from above, and PB Blaster, light heat, and a shitload of pounding would not budge the ball joint. A friend pointed me to (BMW Front Ball Joint / Swivel joint removal tool for E60, E61, E90, E91, E92, E93, X1-E84, X3-E83, X5-E53, X-drive vehicles there is an option for e83), and $130 later, I got each side out in 10 minutes. I don't regret it one bit, but I was thinking if there was any interest in others renting it (pay for the item up front, then get most of it refunded upon return), shoot me a PM.

White Light Automotive tire Gas Auto part

·
Registered
7 Posts
^^^^^ I always like renting tools for work. If there is a rental thread here you should post it there. If there’s no thread for rentals there should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can vouch for this tool. I actually pointed this tool out in dukedkt442's DIY. I used mine last month for this first time. Was procrastinating about doing this bc I don't have access to air tools (hammer) and was worried that I'd be stuck trying to use hand tools to beat the ball joint from above. This tool took all the stress out of removing that ball joint.

Agree! A rental thread for tools would be nice. Personally wouldn't mind a "For Sale/ Wanted" section just for E83 X3 specific stuff either.

·
Registered
15,591 Posts
Similar issue with 2001-2007 Volvo S60, BV70, XC90 etc.
The way to solve this issue w/o buying that tool is using a 1.5" PVC Coupler (Plumbing Pipe PVC Coupler),
about $2-$3 at hardware stores. Home Depot has it...

I wrote a DIY suspension for my 2005 XC90, and the detail is here...

DIY: Front Suspension Rebuild (2005 XC90 2.5T AWD with 120K)

·
Registered
209 Posts
CN90- was looking at your DIY. I skimmed it but it looks like you use the PVC for installation. This tool is used to REMOVE the seized ball joint in the knuckle. When they are seized, no amount of prying on the wings work and the only way to remove is to remove the axle and hit the ball joint from above. Chisel and hammer or air hammer. Some have even removed the whole knuckle and try to remove off the car.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CN90- was looking at your DIY. I skimmed it but it looks like you use the PVC for installation. This tool is used to REMOVE the seized ball joint in the knuckle. When they are seized, no amount of prying on the wings work and the only way to remove is to remove the axle and hit the ball joint from above. Chisel and hammer or air hammer. Some have even removed the whole knuckle and try to remove off the car.
Agreed...I don't see how pounding on the pvc pipe gets the ball joint out...

·
Registered
15,591 Posts
Sorry,

I thought the tool was for installation! My apology...
OTOH, you can use the PVC Coupler for installation.

However, most of the time, a hammer/chisel should get the old ball joint out.

For those who wonder how the tool (posted by the O.P.) works, here it is:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry,

I thought the tool was for installation! My apology...
OTOH, you can use the PVC Coupler for installation.

However, most of the time, a hammer/chisel should get the old ball joint out.

For those who wonder how the tool (posted by the O.P.) works, here it is:
After how long I pounded on this before using this tool, I can watch this video all day, like an 80s teenager with the sears catalog. Cigarette, anyone?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep! I just ordered it the other day. Thank you! Gave up on trying to rent it from the OP. I now have the tool if anyone wants it!
Argh! Sorry, just saw this...was travelling for a couple of weeks, and wouldn't have been much help anyway (oddly enough the ball joint tool doesn't travel with me). :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Argh! Sorry, just saw this...was travelling for a couple of weeks, and wouldn't have been much help anyway (oddly enough the ball joint tool doesn't travel with me). :)
No worries at all! I usually just browse the forums so I wasn’t sure how to work the messages or if my reply even posted correctly - that’s what I gave up on lol. Hope you enjoyed the vacation, however!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This youtube person used standard screwdrive, interesting...

That video is a tease. Any corrosion and that joint is locked in there. For most of us replacing original parts, if you can even get the screwdriver to bite, all it will do is bend the flange. Now, if you've had them out recently and used anti sieze, this mashes sense.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This youtube video showed that once the Axle is disconnected, tap it from above.
No need for special tool:

That's a big 'once'.... No need for special tool, if you have all all of the tools to pull the axle out...and want to spend the time, as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts