BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a question which concerns my power steering pump. I have removed the belts and have ordered all pulleys and tensioners due to a noise (squealing, screaming, screeching, etc.). At first I thought it was the PSP but am not sure now as one of the pulleys is definitely on its last leg.

What I need to know is how much free spin the power steering pump should have when using my hand to spin it? Hope that does sound too weird but I was told to spin it to see it was frozen. It is not frozen but it will only turn about one rotation by hand. Is this normal? No grinding sound or loose pulley found.:tsk:

2003 530i e39 M54

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It is a pump so there will be resistance. Sounds like it's OK.

·
Registered
15,781 Posts
It is not frozen but it will only turn about one rotation by hand. Is this normal? No grinding sound or loose pulley found.

Are you saying that the pulley refuses to turn more than one rotation? That sounds ominous.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PSP pulley

Yea, it will spin about one full rotation with a hand spin. First response from johnstern said tha tshould be normal as it is a pump and with fluid in the pump it would seem, to me, that a fair amount of resistance due to the PSF in the pump would cause a resisted rotation of the pulley. persisted hand spinning does not produce any sounds which might be due to bearing wear.

I quess when i get the new pulleys installed and new belts on I will know for sure.

Thanks for your input.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
caryalon

I might try that if I have to drain the fluid from mine. As is I don't think they would let me fill a new pump with fluid to do the comparison.

Thanks for the thought though.:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,781 Posts
I don't ever remember reading about a PSP wearing out. The only problem seems to be the mount on the V8 breaking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts