BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help me and help yourself by encouraging BMW to use the same amber (yellow) rear turn signals that they use on European cars. Not only would it standardize the part, but it is safer. It doesn't look any worse because BMW makes the amber lens look almost red when the light is not flashing.

https://www.s**********.com/s/22DWM8R EDIT: LINK REMOVED. SURVEY MONKEY LIMITS POLLS TO 100 RESPONSES IF THERE IS NOT A PAID SUBSCRIPTION. 100 SURVEYS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED.

This is a survey. I considered an online petition but those require that you set up a user name. Survey Monkey doesn't require that. All you do is check the box. Check the yes box!

So far, the survey has received one response (me) and 100% in favor of amber (yellow).

·
Super Moderator
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you have any comments, especially in support of this, feel free to reply. This will encourage others to vote in the survey.

Together, we can change BMW for the better. If not, maybe we can get a bunch of European Delivery customers to start a blockade of the main driveway and display a protest banner? :rofl:

·
Registered
487 Posts
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I used to have a car with amber turn signals and people were putting on filters to change them to red turn signals. I personally prefer the uniformed look of red signals.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,895 Posts
On the list of things I would campaign for, yellow turn signal lenses rank at right about # 9,247. Maybe lower.

·
Super Moderator
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.amazon.com/Effectiveness-Signals-Reducing-Impacts-Technical/dp/1492774901

NHTSA report that you can buy on Amazon.

Cars.com summary:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/06/nhtsa-looking-to-mandate-rear-turn-signal-color.html
... Currently, they can be either amber or red, in accordance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108.

According to a study by NHTSA, amber rear turn signals have proved 5.3% more effective than red turn signals in preventing crashes. The study focused on "switch pairs," which are vehicles that switched rear turn-signal color from one model year to the next, while controlling for "extraneous factors" such as vehicle and driver traits.

European countries already mandate that turn signals be amber, and although 5.3% sounds like a fairly small difference, NHTSA says it's statistically significant and in line with other studies done on the subject.

·
Super Moderator
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,931 Posts
Help me and help yourself by encouraging BMW to use the same amber (yellow) rear turn signals that they use on European cars. Not only would it standardize the part, but it is safer. It doesn't look any worse because BMW makes the amber lens look almost red when the light is not flashing.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/22DWM8R

This is a survey. I considered an online petition but those require that you set up a user name. Survey Monkey doesn't require that. All you do is check the box. Check the yes box!

So far, the survey has received one response (me) and 100% in favor of amber (yellow).
Excellent idea. Voted for ambers!

+1

How about making all adults take a proper driving school to get some of the left lane flack off the road.
And just how do you propose that BMW is going to influence that change in the U.S.? Dave20T has made an excellent suggestion that BMW has direct control over that would be beneficial to the driving public and actually save the company money. Certainly better than the whiny responses made thus far.

This kind of reminds me of HGTV's show Love It or List It. No matter how half done the renovation turns out to be versus how much better the new house is the vast majority choose to stay in their inadequate, half done house rather than exercise the gumption necessary to make a move to a clearly better situation. It doesn't matter what the issue is, people are universally afraid of change and therefore avoid it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just voted for ambers, totally agree that they would be more effective. That is, assuming the turn signals are used. Here in NJ, I've noticed a disturbing trend among many drivers who seem to think turn signals are "optional."

·
Liked when BMW was in F1
977 Posts
Voted +1. Turns signal should be amber.

·
False Enthusiast
1,669 Posts
How about just using turn signals?

Seems like a good place to start. Then we could worry about what color.

jummo

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
How about just using turn signals?

Seems like a good place to start. Then we could worry about what color.

jummo
+1 No matter what color,the color should be standard on all vehicles.
cheers
vern

·
Registered
129 Posts
+1

How about making all adults take a proper driving school to get some of the left lane flack off the road.
+1 - Amen!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I voted for amber! This is something that has bugged me for years! When I first started driving in the 80's, almost all Euro or Asian cars had amber signals, while many American cars had red. I always found it much more noticeable when a car with amber lights was signaling. Then, more recently, even the imports started using red signals and things got muddy.

Worse are cars that use an inferior (cost cutting) light design where a single bulb or fixture is used for tail lights, brake lights AND turn signals! Just the lack of differentiation between the different lights and their functions makes reaction times slower, and it gets dangerous depending on the situation. Here's an example I see on a fairly regular basis: I'm behind a car and I see his tail lights start blinking left/right/left/right. Usually this winds up being the fact that he's got a signal on, and he's tapping his brakes too. So I have no idea which way he's going or how much he's slowing.

Something else that should be mandated is LED lighting. I live in a state with mandatory annual safety and emission inspections. And even with that check, I see lots of cars driving around with no working brake lights or maybe a single bulb out of all (including center) that actually works. LEDs don't burn out nearly as often as incandescent, and even if they do, they are usually part of an array of many LEDs so you'll still have lighting that works.

And now that I'm on my soapbox, why do we, after how many decades, still see center brake lights that look tacked onto the car's design?

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,684 Posts
Here in NJ, I've noticed a disturbing trend among many drivers who seem to think turn signals are "optional."
Or, worse, that they are provided to signal accomplishment rather than intent. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BMW sold 12,400 three series last month in the US. With 13 responses on an activist forum I don't think you have a prayer of BMW taking any notice. My vote is no problem with red ones, I like the homogenous look they have now.
There are some people who are voting but not posting. Thank you!

I realize that if there's such a change for North American cars, some people will still not signal and there will still be world hunger and Ebola.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts