BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Puddle near left front tire??

15001 Views 22 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  BigCo540i
This morning I found a small puddle (approx 8oz) of clear, slick-feeling fluid under the left front tire. Fluid had a sweet smell to it. Coolant level checked out ok, no apparent leaks when I looked underneath, or under hood. Drove the car to the office this morning, no lights, no odd noises, car ran fine.

Any thoughts??

BTW, entire cooling system replaced 6 months ago.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Could be a Thrust Arm Bushing. The stock ones are fluid filled. If you look under the car, there is a cutout in the lower engine cover that lets you see this bushing. If it's bad, it will be wet.
Check the brake line and connection going into the left front caliper.
Dog pee. Don't worry about it. :lmao:
Power steering fluid is a possibility. The hoses on the reservoir are notorious for leaking. Check the PS level. If that's not it then pull the cabin filter box and check the brake and clutch master reservoir.
An 8 oz loss is enough to show up as low in either reservoir.

Of course the oil filter is in that general area on a 540, but further forward, and I would assume you would know is it were oil.
LOL, you stole my answer.
Bacdoc, did you taste it?

I'd say if it isn't dog pee it's coolant.
Dog pee. Don't worry about it. :lmao:
I'd say a taste test is in order. Coolant is sweet, dog pee is sour.
Bacdoc, did you taste it?

I'd say if it isn't dog pee it coolant.
As the resident expert on tasting dog pee. If that's what it is I'm worried about the dog.:rofl:
As the resident expert on tasting dog pee. If that's what it is I'm worried about the dog.:rofl:
IS this from experience?
TMI, IS this from experience?
Brake fluid sort of has a metallic smell and leaves your skin sort of sticky feeling it is an awful feeling like chalk dust in my mind.

Oil wouldn't really be clear. But would give you a slick feel you mentioned.

Power steering fluid not clear would be red as our cars use ATF. This sort of is like brake fluid the way it feels awful.

Coolant would smell sweet could look clear and slick. I am guessing it is coolant from your description. Was the auxiliary water pump replaced? That would be about the location of it.

I would keep an eye on it try to get color with like a white cloth, paper towel, piece of paper. See if it is really clear.
After tasting the cats and dogs urine, the cats was quite bitter, one of the dog's was sour, the other was sweet (but he has diabetes).

I'll have time this afternoon to take a look at the above mentioned possibilities. No further leakage since though.
:yumyum: :rofl:
After tasting the cats and dogs urine, the cats was quite bitter, one of the dog's was sour, the other was sweet (but he has diabetes).

I'll have time this afternoon to take a look at the above mentioned possibilities. No further leakage since though.
Yep, same color as my coolant. :yikes:
TMI, IS this from experience?
Any rain in the area prior to when you parked it? I believe there is a drain from the windshield area that discharges behind the front driver's side wheel.
Ours did this the second night home after purchasing it (2002 with 128k miles; we are the fourth owners). The power steering reservoir is empty, so it' a pretty easy call without licking the garage floor. The hoses were replaced by the previous owner (at the dealer), but that's 90 minutes from home, so husband will get his hands dirty tomorrow after work.

So, I'm curious...what did you discover? Did you check all the fluids? What was it?
The PSR often leaks where the lower hose connects to the reservoir. The easy fix is to remove the hose, snip 1/2" off the hose end and reattach with a hose clamp. Easy day.
Ours did this the second night home after purchasing it (2002 with 128k miles; we are the fourth owners). The power steering reservoir is empty, so it' a pretty easy call without licking the garage floor. The hoses were replaced by the previous owner (at the dealer), but that's 90 minutes from home, so husband will get his hands dirty tomorrow after work.

So, I'm curious...what did you discover? Did you check all the fluids? What was it?
Hmmmm.... I have never seen that drain.

I've seen the two drains for the A/C evaporator ... but not for the windshield.

If someone has a picture of that drain, it would be great to see it.
I believe there is a drain from the windshield area that discharges behind the front driver's side wheel.
Thanks for all the ideas, but It's a coolant leak from the expansion tank/radiator connection. I can hear a hissing noise from there and when I press the expansion tank toward the radiator, the hissing noise decreases. Bad O ring??

The coolant is leaking from there, onto the lower pan, out the bottom and toward the left front tire. I had a check coolant warning on start-up yesterday. Just ordered another tank from autohausaz. Their site says its an OEM Behr tank. We'll see. I'm also replacing the plastic bleeder screw with brass.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.